Why Wont People Drink My Pilsner With Chinese Hops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewed a CAP recently, which I'm drinking now, and It's a quaffable summer beer. Would be 3x better with Czech Saaz however!

View attachment 35996

Cheers!

You must only be one-third the brewer you thought you were.

Touch ;)

EDIT: Woot! 1500 Posts!

Two possibilities, as Maxwell Smart would say.

1/ Franko doesn't like the flavour of Chinese pesticides (Unlikely)

2/ Franko is pregnant. (most likely option).

Is he displaying any other odd symptoms that could confirm either option?

Happy to help here.
Les

Franko will always drink my beers but he could not stomach my beer with the Chinese Saaz , Why is this so ? :unsure:

Pumpy

Pumpy, I know I was in the minority, but I always had a high opinion of you & your beers. <_<
This leaves the question,What type of idiot would buy Chinese hops?
Mate you need to get a real Pils in the keg quick to win back Franko.
Cheers
Gerard

Two possibilities, as Maxwell Smart would say.

1/ Franko doesn't like the flavour of Chinese pesticides (Unlikely)

2/ Franko is pregnant. (most likely option).

Is he displaying any other odd symptoms that could confirm either option?

Happy to help here.
Les

Im loving this thread.

Problem I had with this beer are the Chinese Hops they had the most grassy and bad bitter taste

Suck it up princesses!
We tried a product. It failed. Move on. Brew somrhing. Make it drinkable and take it to caseswaps were after the 50th beer no one can taste anything, bring it out and continue drinking. It can't be any worse than standard megaswill.

Pumpy. On a similar recipe andytork did a Danish lager with Chinese hops and recons it's ok. I can find the recipe at the moment but i remember it being similar to yes. Might be worth comparing the 2 recipes.

Alternativly age the hops ( even more so!) and make funky beers with them. Chinese funk beers!

Will not use the recipe in my Pumpy inspired book. What has happened to the Craftbrewer podcaste?

Dont worry Barry , If I get a mention in the Book ,I will change them to German Saaz damn that wont work as its Jamils recipe you would be up for Plagurism .

Pumpy

Pumpy, I know I was in the minority, but I always had a high opinion of you & your beers. <_<
This leaves the question,What type of idiot would buy Chinese hops?
Mate you need to get a real Pils in the keg quick to win back Franko.
Cheers
Gerard

Gerard Franko will give me more than one chance on my free beer

I'd tip it on the lawn as a deterrent to cats pissing on your lawn....it makes them think another cat already lives. :icon_cheers:

Cheers

Paul

Back in December I did 3 brews to try out the Chinee hops, including two bog standard UK Special Bitters, sort of Burton / Midlands style with Whitbread Yeast, at the beginning of December. I kept about 10 bottles of each for later tasting, and cracked a couple this afternoon, having been in the bottle for about 10 weeks now.

The hopping schedule was 50 Chinese Cluster 90 mins and 20 Northdown 10 mins, and the other was 50 Chinese Cluster 90 mins and 20 Challenger 10 mins. They have smoothed out incredibly, the somewhat harsh twang that was present in January has gone and both are good quaffers. In fact there's little bitterness on the back of the tongue, it's more of that mid-tongue bittering, and really lets the malt and crystals shine through. Glad I didn't compost mine - they are proving their worth as a 'workhorse hop' so it wasn't money down the drain after all. Tickles my Scottish gene :)

chinese_bitter__Medium_.jpg

I think I've got a couple of bottles of the all Saaz left, they would be about 12 weeks old now so interested to see how they turned out.

Latest posts

Back