Why Is 23l The "standard" Single Batch Size

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thirsty Boy

ICB - tight shorts and poor attitude. **** yeah!
Reaction score
I've always wondered....

Why is it that people make 23L batches ?? It seems an odd number

I would have thought that multiples of a slab (24*375ml = 9L) so 9, 18 or 27L - for keggers multiples of 18L - or perhaps nice even numbers of litres 15, 20, 25 etc etc

any of those would make sense.... but why 23 ??

I'm guessing its because coopers said so...their home brew kit uses 23 L for a brew, and people continued using it as an arbitrary value when they progresed.

I've personally abandoned it to brew to size that fits my fermenter (20L brew in my carboys), that seems like the most sensible thing to me.

As far as kits go, I've actually made some that are too much on the flavour at around 20litres. True!
It's like adding too much cordial to a glass of water.

I always thought the 23 litres was meant to produce 30 x 750ml tallies and that seemed a fine number. I've never really thought about it that much, but now there is such variance in bottle/container sizes it might seem an odd figure. Cheerz Wab

Why is it that people make 23L batches ??
The really do so? :p

I was also wondering at this fact. May be they keg 19L and use the other four liters to propagate the yeast for the next brew... Or may be the first homebrewers started with these stylish, old fashioned 23L potting kettles?

Alex

That is Imperial gallons, not US gallons.

As an AG brewer, you can scale your recipe to whatever you want.

My two posts were probably a little confusing.

A standard batch is 5 imperial gallons. In the US a gallon is smaller and a 5 US gallon batch fits into a 19 litre keg.

The fact that 5 imperial gallons equals 30 bottles I think is due to a bottle originally being defined as an integral fraction of a gallon, in this case 1/6.

23ltrs fits perfectly into my 23 ltr kegs. Plus for the bottlers it makes an even 30 longnecks.

23ltrs fits perfectly into my 23 ltr kegs. Plus for the bottlers it makes an even 30 longnecks.

Yeah, I am also glad I did not go for the 19L kegs. It is so much easier to fit the full batch into a single keg.

My two posts were probably a little confusing.

A standard batch is 5 imperial gallons. In the US a gallon is smaller and a 5 US gallon batch fits into a 19 litre keg.

The fact that 5 imperial gallons equals 30 bottles I think is due to a bottle originally being defined as an integral fraction of a gallon, in this case 1/6.

I agree. Most unusual metric volumes/weights etc can be traced back to their imperial equivalent. Not much changes in things like home brew - within reason we are probably all doing things pretty much exactly the way people did it years and years ago. I would put money on the middy/schooner etc volumes being explained in a similar way.

I agree. Most unusual metric volumes/weights etc can be traced back to their imperial equivalent. Not much changes in things like home brew - within reason we are probably all doing things pretty much exactly the way people did it years and years ago. I would put money on the middy/schooner etc volumes being explained in a similar way.

You win on that one, Middy was a 10 oz beer, Schooner 15 oz beer, too easy. Now when I say I remember them being less that 20c a middy I'll date my self a bit hahaha, Cheerz Wab

I have stuck with 23L - counting losses when transferring etc incl. the slop at the bottom of the fermenter, I get enough for a full keg, plus a few bottles for the road.

haven't got time to read all the replies but isn't it because that is legally what a homebrewer is allowed to brew each week in australia?

British or American pints?

Be careful if you are converting recipes to metric. Often American recipes will not state a volume and expect you to know that it is 5 American gallons or 19 litres. Australians expect it to be 23 litres.

AG brewers often negate this by expressing a recipe in the form of percentages such as
70% Pale ale
20% Munich
10% Wheat
og 1.050
IBU 25 Styrian Goldings
Flavour 1 gm /litre 10 minutes from flameout
Aroma 1 gm/litre 1 minute from flameout

British or American pints?

Be careful if you are converting recipes to metric. Often American recipes will not state a volume and expect you to know that it is 5 American gallons or 19 litres. Australians expect it to be 23 litres.

AG brewers often negate this by expressing a recipe in the form of percentages such as
70% Pale ale
20% Munich
10% Wheat
og 1.050
IBU 25 Styrian Goldings
Flavour 1 gm /litre 10 minutes from flameout
Aroma 1 gm/litre 1 minute from flameout

That looks like a pretty nice recipe POL!

When I were a lad back 't old dart, me old man was 'omebrewer, when bought 't kits from 't shop down 't road.
They were for 40 pints or 5 gallons, an' thats near enough to 23 litres, me old cocker.

Back