Why Did You Start Brewing? Can You Answer These Questions?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How long have you been home-brewing?

• less than 1 year?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • more than 1 year?

• 1 - 5 years?

• 5+ years?

• Total voters
1a) What inspired you to start home-brewing? 1b)Why do you continue to home-brew?
1a)To make Beer - Think about it, you get to make something that other pay for. 1b)Helps reduce the expense of having a beer
2) How did you go about finding the equipment?
was in Coles originally - then Local Homebrew store
3) Was it hard to find the necessary equipment?
No - was in Coles - this is changing now
4) Did you buy a starter kit or did you buy the equipment individually?
Starter kit.
5) What's the best part about brewing?
Refer to 1a - plus its great when you get a great beer and a mate says 'Really - home brew?'
6) At what age did you start brewing?
7) How would you describe the home-brewing community in Melbourne, AUS? In your local community? Do you think it is growing?
Im in Brissy, and dispite some of the worst brewing conditions its not hard to find a Homebrew shop and drop around for a quiet beer and chat.
8) How often do you brew during the year on average?
Every 8 days or every 20 days when doing a lager
9) Is there any type of equipment that you wish it would have been easier to find?
Hop flowers
10) When you have a question about brewing or beer in general, where do you go for answers?
Internet
11) Do you experiment making multiple types of beer - using a unique blend of ingredients - or just stick with the out-of-the-box recipes? How do you find out about unique recipes?
I have used some crazy ingredients - I once used Tamarind - Try and keep it under control.
12) Do you sometimes brew with other people?
Yep,had a couple of brew partners over the years.

1) What inspired you to start home-brewing? Why do you continue to home-brew?
Birthday present. The results from the start were fantastic, great tasting, and cheap!
Snow-balled from there.

LHBS, on-line, Cole,s Kmart, woolies, Big W.

It can be some times.

Bday present was a Brigalow Starter Kit.

Great, cheap beer. Satisfying hobby.

7) How would you describe the home-brewing community in Melbourne, AUS? In your local community? Do you think it is growing?
Melb= IDK
Aus = small but growing
Local = small but growing

12 times

9) Is there any type of equipment that you wish it would have been easier to find?
Keg gear

10) When you have a question about brewing or beer in general, where do you go for answers?
AHB forum, LHBS

11) Do you experiment making multiple types of beer - using a unique blend of ingredients - or just stick with the out-of-the-box recipes? How do you find out about unique recipes?
Many experiments.
LBHS and AHB forum

No, other than my kids

Put Fresh Wort kits (in plastic bladders in cardboard) 2x concentrated with high quality yeast for $30 (makes 20L) and the breweries are in trouble...

Coles? Woolies? You listening?
+1

Uni- no money, dads homebrew
Better beer that i have control over and i know whats gone into it

Bits and pieces off Dad and from the home brew shop, woolies.

No

Individually

Control, Taste, Resourcefulness.

A friendly bunch, with some occasional bickering (on this forum). Good in my community, helpful. Yes , growing.

24 times

You can acquire anything, its the cost that is the problem.

AHB :D

AHB, Beer and brewer mag, Internet, i make all sorts of beer, good and bad. :rolleyes:

Yes

1) What inspired you to start home-brewing?
A: cartons of tooheys new went over $20!

Why do you continue to home-brew?
A: cause i got good at it... and the beer got better, and i can make and drink what ever i like, and the looks on peoples faces when they try it is great.

A: most of it came from bower birding at work.

A: No

A: I bought a starter kit from miter 10 with a can of goop and it was shit. I thought....mmmm it must get better than this! The rest is history.

A: the first pour of a beer from the tap after weeks of love and care to make it.

A: 27

A: I live near newcastle. We now have 2 world class micros within 40 min drive of my house and home brewing clubs starting to thrive. Local beer festivals with big attendances. It is definitely growing fast.

A: 12 to 15 times, usually 54 liter batches and the odd 28 liter batch of something stronger

A: its called the internet :), nothing is hard to find.

A: Origionally the old Grumpys forum, then AHB came about and Grumpys fell in a troll hole. Also text books.

A: I almost never make the same beer twice, and i love to brew outside the square. One thing i love about brewing is that its only limited by your imagination. It doesnt always work out well but when you pull off something different thats great... its very satisfying. I also pride myself on recipe formulation and can spend up to 6 months working over an idea before making the beer. I very rarely use others recipes, usually just ideas or parts of a recipe someone else has listed.

A: I have a fair number of new brewers through to see how its done. They come, they see, and they go make beer, usually saying..... Well i thought it was harder than that!

Affordable conical fermenters
agree... they would be nice but all the ones I've seen are far too expensive for me.

1) What inspired you to start home-brewing?
A: cartons of tooheys new went over $20!
Before I started brewing ... my beer budget was around $38 for a slab. I found I could buy Carlton Black or Toohey's Old for less than that when Coles or Woolies had a special -- usually somewhere around $32 to $36 per slab. I'd buy 10 or even 15 slabs, to hold me out until their next discount ..... but the specials were drying up....
When I found my first batch shit all over Old or Black.. and worked out at around $10 per slab ... I was sold for life!!

Mates bought me a kegerator and I had to put beer in it and couldn't afford 50 litre kegs. Enjoy it, can make more interesting beers than I can buy at a resonable price.

Forums, Brewmaker, Beer Belly, Craftbrewer, Ebay

No, just expensive at times

Yes, then upgraded up to All Grain over a year and a half or so. Could still buy more stuff but will wait for a while

Relaxing, the beer, pride in end product

Had a dabble when 18, but have been doing it again since I was 40. Now 42.

Don't know about MEL, but in Adelaide it seems pretty good. There are case swaps etc and for the main people seem to get on well. Would like to get more involved but am always too busy.

Every 2-3 weeks.

Everything is easy if you have the money.

Forum, my local shop, web.

Always trying new things but will gave the same thing a go for a few, usually to reculture yeast.

Guy across the road brews and we've done a couple together, but he is more a K&K guy and can't understand why I go to so much trouble, funny thing is though he is always over for a beer!

I thought hey lets give it a go

local homebrew store

No - all you needed back when I started was a bucket and a can of goo

Individually

Learning new things ( Big big thanks to one of my best mates Pumpy ) for taking time to teach me AG brewing forever in debt to you mate I wouldn't have built what I have today without your help

Don't know how they roll in Melbourne but where doing fine here in NSW

Please if you have to ask you're not a real brewer- how long is a piece of string

Termimesh - yes thanks Sav from QLD for showing me the benefits of this great material

My local brewclub - what a great bunch of blokes cheers fellas

All brewers are different whatever floats your boat I say, We all have a particular beer/style we make well its what sets us all apart

Definitely you never stop learning from others in this hobby that's what makes it so great you pickup little things all the time

Beers

Franko

Hi Everyone!
I am currently doing some research on the home-brewing business for a Consumer Behaviour class in my Graduate MBA program and need YOUR input!

Can you help me out by answering all (or some) of the following questions? Any responses would be extremely helpful and your honesty and greatly appreciated!

Originally, it was to try and replicate the delicious flat and warm bitters of the Old Country. I had a brewing hiatus, and then a friend and I started tasting all sorts of craft beers. We're getting back into it in a partnership to try and create delicious craft beer to our own taste.

Went to a homebrew shop initially, now order some stuff online.

Equipment, no, with the internet. It would be difficult if I bought everything at my local shop.

Starter kit.

Creating. And Australian beer is among the shittiest (a few craft breweries excepted) and most expensive in the world, so it's good for my tastebuds and wallet.

I think I was 17 or 18.

Here in Toowoomba: I have no idea.

I've been off and on for years. A true average would be a couple of times a year. When I'm 'on' it would be a dozen batches a year?

Decent ingredients (malt, hops) locally would be awesome. Malt's heavy to ship if I buy online.

Here. Or google.

Multiple types. I tweak recipes I find on here or on the interwebs.

Perviously: no. Now: my best mate is now my brewing partner.

Back