Who's Used Wyeast 1187 Ringwood

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cant add anything in addition to Lezs spot on observations.

For the record, apparent attenuation was 50, 60, 72, 67 for a run of 2 x milds, an old ale and a stout. The first one used a 9 month old pack from the Monk which i made into a 2L starter but didnt see a whole lot of action. I then repitched 1/2 a washed yeast cake, then a full washed yeast cake then a 1/2 washed yeast cake in that order.

Mash temps were 70, and 68-69 for the 2 milds.

i have a fresh prop in the fridge.
Thanks Dr S, on my OB the apparent attenuation is 56 so I will live with that and re-pitch an ESB onto the yeast cake.
The OB tastes reasonable, I just wish my birthday present from the UK was here so I could run the bitter through that ;)

C&B
TDA

I just wish my birthday present from the UK was here

Not far away. :icon_chickcheers:

Warren -

27087.jpg

Well it is a northern chav model (with a sparkler) isn't it? :p

Warren -

Going slightly off topic, this week I smacked a 1275 Thames Valley yeast and have found it quite sluggish. It took a good three days to get swell-on. I've just put it into a 300ml starter and will step up to 1.5L next. I don't question the condition of the yeast (packed April this year, bought from reputable supplier). Is this normal for these kinds of yeasts to be sluggish? I haven't brewed a lot with liquid yeasts, nor have I done this style of beer all that often.

Bigh Wyeast state that you should allow an extra day for every 3 months for older packs.

Just as a warning though I used an 8 month old packet of that very strain (1275 Thames Valley) earlier this year and it gave me some very bizarre attenuation problems. It took a 1.054 wort down to around 1.035 and it would not shift for the life of me. Even after pitching some more of the same yeast. Another brewer also experienced the same problem with a starter from the same pack. :(

All that being said I've used it several times before with great results. I'd just keep an eye on how well your starter ferments down. :unsure:

Warren -

Thanks Warren, I'll keep all that in mind. I'll be sure to build a decent healthy starter for this one and keep an eye on the ferment. I really should get myself a stir-plate.
Cheers.

Posting this for anyone interested in this yeast.

I pitched a stronger beer (OG 1054) onto the yeastcake of the ordinary bitter 7 days ago. The beer was mashed at 66C, all malt, no adjuncts. Fermentation temperature has been constant at 21C. I measured the beers gravity last night and it is at 1014 so that is 73% apparent attenuation with the Ringwood yeast. That is a much better result.

So the lower attenuation in my OB I put down to higher mash temp and even though I pitched what I consider a normal amount of yeast I reckon I should have pitched double the amount as the date on the Wyeast pack was Sept06 (probably should have mentioned that earlier too :rolleyes: ).

C&B
TDA

Mmmm, ringwood at 21. Ester heaven TDA!

Love that yeast.

Did you find that pitching the larger amount of yeast also negated the need for daily rousings?

Mmmm, ringwood at 21. Ester heaven TDA!

Love that yeast.

Did you find that pitching the larger amount of yeast also negated the need for daily rousings?

Not a single rousing or thrashing with a paddle required Dr S :p !
Esters are suprisingly restrained and diacetyl is very low as well.

C&B
TDA

Not a single rousing or thrashing with a paddle required Dr S :p !
Esters are suprisingly restrained and diacetyl is very low as well.

C&B
TDA

I guess the larger quantity of viable yeast helped to the esters in check and did a good job of cleaning up after themselves.

A bit of a play off then. I love the esters this gives out and brewed it at 20C to capture that. The daily rousings were a little extra effort...

Anyone still brewing with 1187?

I have a stout of 1.063 OG fermenting at the moment.

Made a 2.5L starter, stired for 24hrs then sat for another 36hrs B4 chilling. I removed the starter from the fridge on brew day mornining (24hrs chilled) and let sit most of the day. Once my stout wort was down to 22-24 deg, i replaced 1.5 litres of the starter beer with the fresh wort. Let the starter sit for about 5hrs then pitched to the main wort which was @ 18 deg. This was my first stirred starter on my new digital homebrew stirplate.

Tonight is 48hrs after pitching & there is about 2L Kraeusen. Has been since 10hrs after pitching. Temp raised from 18-20 over this time.

If kraeusen is falling tomorrow then I will check SG & give it a stir.

Mashed @ 66-67 & added dme & dex late in the boil ( i have a small mashtun, 4.1kg cap ).
Once the wort was chilled, I dropped it into another fermenter. this was my aeration.

I am hopping i dont have to muck around too much with this brew to reach FG. Have I done enough to give it the best chance? Time will tell I suppose.

Anybody had a smooth run with this yeast or should I just assume I will need to rouse it.

Interested to hear some more experiences if there are any to share. ( i bought the 1187 only because my other selections were nill stk )

thanks. Josh.

I have some but haven't brewed with it yet so can only say I look forward to it. Sounds like a great yeast.

Have not used W1187 for a little while (say 12 months) but I must admit I'm a fan.
With a decent pitch, daily rousing is not required unless it drops prematurely due to cold, and I have achieved up to 75% attenuation.
I enjoy the estery flavour and maltiness. This one goes into the Hobgoblin clone.

Unless something goes wrong with the beer, you will not be disappointed. It's not like any other yeast.
If in doubt, contact bigfridge for hints, tips and advice. He has the former Ringwood brewer on staff, you know.

My favourite yeast hands down. Gives great stone fruit esters . I agree with Les, a yeast like no other. Stout with Ringwood is a good choice.

going down a hill said:
My favourite yeast hands down. Gives great stone fruit esters . I agree with Les, a yeast like no other. Stout with Ringwood is a good choice.
Come on, you're making me thirsty, and bringing back great memories.

I only ever bought one pack of this yeast, and am still reculturing from it. Maybe it was a gift from Mark at MHB, my lhbs, as it was close to end date.

Edit (afterthought): Convinced yet, Josh?

My Favorite as well, I'll use some other yeasts for some things but most of my beers are either ringwood or I regret not using ringwood when I get to taste it.

Does it need any special attention ?? Any tricks to using it??

Latest posts

Back