Ringwood Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matti

Swedes Bryggeri
Reaction score
Well this yeast I was warned of being tricky but woh, there was more to it then I had anticipated.
This yeast is an ale yeast but it is bottom fermenting.
A bottom fermenting yeast desire a lot of oxygen and will eventually produce alot of diacetyl if not pitch correctly and if not aerated.
Hence it will suit open fermenting.
That is one thing I can't afford with three kids running around the house but that is another story.
What to do>
Aerate your wort to the buggery and and make a sufficient starter.
Why?
Because it is not a pure strain more likely a hybrid of kind.
Some say this originated in Yorkshire and other say it was a Swedish porter yeast from mid 1800s.
Could be either/both and it was typical yeast to use in early 1800 where open fermenting was common.
The beer would suck in oxygen so much desired by the yeast and the so called krausen would would form a protective layer on top and if not disturbed, protect the beer for the entire fermentation.
This ale yeast can be difficult to understand before you have had first hand experience with it.
The yeast companies claim that the yeast they have is the true ringwood, but there are many claims it is a lame copy.

It is difficult to say because it is a mix of strains and yeasts mutate easily.

After only skimming the top of all information I proceeded with making a starter and allowed it to ferment out. 150 g DME 2 pellets Fuggle simmer and cool to 1.5L
I split the starter in 2 and it was used to a hobgoblin dark ale which fellow M.a.l.e and AHB forumist Pumpy brewed on his rig.
Got to mention it was an enjoyable day and many thanks to MR Pumpy.
I pitch my slurry in and aerated to bugger then closed my fermenter.
To my surpise i notice high sedimetation but invert pressure into my airlock.
Initially believing the temperature had dropped drastically.
WRONG!
It had only dropped from 18 to about 16.5.
I got concerned that i had under pitched and started reading more and there you go.

Give this yeast a lot of oxygen and no need to tighten the lid, this one will want more oxygen during lagging period which last about 18-36 hour and off she goes slowly.

Have fun as my LHB shop keeper says

Matti

Well.
I have had this one fermenting 7 days and an og of 1.054 is now down to 1.022.
Expected fg of 1.015 ish with this particular yeast.
I did mention that this strain(s) will produce diacetyl if not enough oxygen provided to this yeast.

The hydro sample definetly had a taste of butterscotch but still on the dry side.
Next time I use this yeast i will probably make sure I have a place to give this one an open fermentation,
at least for the intial 2-3 days.

I pitched at 19 but the temp got up to 22 degrees for a day so i moved it to the garage to bring it back to
17-18.
It has been steady know.

Question is it possble to give this yeast a diacetyl rest?
And at what temps?

wohooo time to kick a soccer ball with my 3 son :party:

Question is it possble to give this yeast a diacetyl rest?
And at what temps?

Same temp it is now. Just leave it on the yeast cake beyond end fermentation, possibly rouse the yeast if that isnt working.

Having a tea break at work and though i post this link
http://www.realbeer.com/library/archives/y...6/RINGWOOD.html

Well for those who care this yeast as mentioned need a lot of oxygen and it is when the yeast multiplies the component that will cause diacetyl is released.
The alphaacetolactate (AAL) that is created with the yeast growth oxidizes is what causes diacetyl.

This yeast is notorious for its buttery popcorn flavour.
After samples my hobgoblin brewed by Pumpy, from 2 hydro readings it is evident that it will remain in the beer and I am getting fond of it already.

Unfortunately this yeast need to be woken up quite a lot if the is the slightest temp variation.
The temp of fermentation was down to 15-16 this morning and the bloody thing had really slowed down....

On Monday I am going to have to rack this weather its is finnished or not, 'cause I don't want the yeast to start having ago eating it self.

I need better planning and a place to open ferment this one

You brew and you learn gotto luv it

Which yeast was it, matti? Wyeast? White Labs? Something else?

Right. I've just got some of that to use actually. I don't really want to do open fermentation, but I'll try to aerate the wort really well. Sounds like it should be kept from getting too cool as well. How long has it been fermenting? Just wondering if keeping it on the yeast cake for a bit longer might help in getting rid of the butterscotch.

try to keep it between 18-20 at all times.
They say it may get sluggish at 65 degrees.(18c)
Mine got a bit too warm (22 plus) so I moved it to a cooler place. (too cool @ 16)
Going to move it back to a warmer place in the morning then rack on Monday.
11days now in primary
14 days on cake is enough for me.
today the S.G was 1.018
The attenutation is around 70-72% so I reckon I will CC this one at 1.015 for a week then bottle.
i ThInK i'Ve SaId ThAt AlReAdY.

Latest posts

Back