Who's Used Wyeast 1187 Ringwood

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What puzzles me is why this yeast cops so much bad press. :eek:

Gotta get myself another smack pack. Wouldn't be without it for English styles. :beerbang:

Warren -

Get on the Ringwood train folks. This will not be my last.
:chug:

Been on this train since my first AG which used Ringwood. Screwtops first AG if I remember right was also Ringwood [I think <_< ] as I gave him some at that time.
[/quote]

I know there's some long term devotees, bindi.
You've got to excuse me as a "Johnny-come-lately" but it's all very exciting!!!

I'd just like to make sure that this one doesn't head the same way as Wyeast 1026. :(

And my anticipation continues to build...

I just racked my Ringwood Ale ESB out of secondary and the customary taste test has me jumping around like an excited schoolboy. Clear out of primary, sparkling out of secondary. It has a real touch of Yorkshire about it too, not unlike the Black Sheep Ale. Yum. Short conditioning, bottling, waiting, waiting, waiting and then this one will be gone in about a week.

:lol: Don't get too impatient with the bottle conditioning Voosher. I'd say given the very highly flocculent nature your bottles may carb up a bit on the slow side.

That said. I've not had any experience bottling with the stuff. Mine's all gone to the keg and rapidly vanished. :beerbang:

You now have the Ringwood force young Jedi... Use it wisely. :lol:

Warren -

:lol: Don't get too impatient with the bottle conditioning Voosher. I'd say given the very highly flocculent nature your bottles may carb up a bit on the slow side.
:( The pain. :( Oh, the pain. :(

Chin up Voosher. It's an English Ale. Who needs carb anyway? :lol:

Warren -

A good tip, do not underpitch with this yeast. I threw in my starter before it was ready, and the yeast has decided to go to sleep unless I shake a workplace agreement at it daily. Even then it's only knocking off a point a day.

Well it seems to me that this yeast wants to flocc out a lot earlier than I was hoping.
My Ordinary Bitter has been going for 10 days with this bugger and it's only down to 1018, been rousing the yeast since Monday night too. I mashed high too (69C). Should I persevere and keep rousing or just let it be and chuck it in a cube for conditioning?

C&B
TDA

Well it seems to me that this yeast wants to flocc out a lot earlier than I was hoping.
My Ordinary Bitter has been going for 10 days with this bugger and it's only down to 1018, been rousing the yeast since Monday night too. I mashed high too (69C). Should I persevere and keep rousing or just let it be and chuck it in a cube for conditioning?

C&B
TDA

I brewed a dark mild that went from 1.040 to 1.020 with 1187 (mashed at 69-70). Pitched a good sized starter into a well aerated wort and roused twice daily. Left it in primary for 2 weeks at 20/21C. Racked and left in primary for another 2 weeks and didnt move.

Its a low attenuator, and combined with you high mash temp i'd say 1.018 is not unreasonable.

+ 1 for the good Doctor.

I love it when this thread gets dug up. It's makin' me thirsty. :D

Generally speaking I find that rousing shifts a point or two but gets to the point of no return. Enjoy the malty/buttery goodness TDA. B)

Warren -

Thanks Dr S and Warren, advice taken :) !

Dr S, did you repitch something onto the yeast cake of your mild and if so was the attenuation still the same?

C&B
TDA

Dr S, did you repitch something onto the yeast cake of your mild and if so was the attenuation still the same?

C&B
TDA
G'dya TDA,

I'll take this one, as I have re-pitched onto the cake twice. Both started with a mild ale and the Ringwood yeast achieved about 76% apparent attenuation on the first 2 occasions, and with a bigger pitch for the second two batches, the yeast gave over 80% apparent attenuation. The mild was brewed at a cool room temp of 16C for about 5 weeks (I may have been a bit lazy about bottling it in a timely manner), and the Pale ale had a gravity of 1.059 s.g. and was pitched at 16C on 1/9/08, but got up to 21C for 3 days last week. I plan to rack this beer today (as soon as I clear another fermentor).
So, the attenuation was approximately the same as the original in both cases.
Any more questions, while I'm thinking about it?

BTW, the Mild ale may have come in a little high in alc %, due to the higher attenuation. The flavours are highly malty, biscuity (due to amber malt), with a restrained bitterness and lingering mild malt and even longer lingering malt (Maris). Muted fruitiness, strong malt and gentle hops (EKG) in the nose. Much better flavour and aroma develops as it warms. Drinkability is rated as "highly sessionable".

G'dya TDA,

I'll take this one, as I have re-pitched onto the cake twice. Both started with a mild ale and the Ringwood yeast achieved about 76% apparent attenuation on the first 2 occasions, and with a bigger pitch for the second two batches, the yeast gave over 80% apparent attenuation. The mild was brewed at a cool room temp of 16C for about 5 weeks (I may have been a bit lazy about bottling it in a timely manner), and the Pale ale had a gravity of 1.059 s.g. and was pitched at 16C on 1/9/08, but got up to 21C for 3 days last week. I plan to rack this beer today (as soon as I clear another fermentor).
So, the attenuation was approximately the same as the original in both cases.
Any more questions, while I'm thinking about it?

BTW, the Mild ale may have come in a little high in alc %, due to the higher attenuation. The flavours are highly malty, biscuity (due to amber malt), with a restrained bitterness and lingering mild malt and even longer lingering malt (Maris). Muted fruitiness, strong malt and gentle hops (EKG) in the nose. Much better flavour and aroma develops as it warms. Drinkability is rated as "highly sessionable".

Brilliant reply there Les, thanks. :beer:
Interested to hear what temperatures you mashed your milds at?
Mine has been at 18-20C all the way through and has achieved a measly 54% attenuation, maybe the higher mash temp did make the difference. Reckon I will leave it in primary just a bit longer and see if it comes down anymore.
I was planning an ESB to pitch onto the yeastcake and warren suggested to keep the bittering at the high end to account for the higher FG which I will do.

C&B
TDA

Swiped from the Wyeast blurb.

Great yeast strain with unique fermentation and flavor characteristics. Distinct fruit ester and high flocculation provide a malty complex profile, also clears well. Thorough diacetyl rest is recommended after fermentation is complete.

Origin:
Flocculation: High
Attenuation: 68-72%
Temperature Range: 64-74F, 18-23C
Alcohol Tolerance: 10% ABV

Warren -

Brilliant reply there Les, thanks. :beer:
Interested to hear what temperatures you mashed your milds at?
Mine has been at 18-20C all the way through and has achieved a measly 54% attenuation, maybe the higher mash temp did make the difference. Reckon I will leave it in primary just a bit longer and see if it comes down anymore.
I was planning an ESB to pitch onto the yeastcake and warren suggested to keep the bittering at the high end to account for the higher FG which I will do.

C&B
TDA
With the mild, I mashed in at 50C for a protein rest, and that was mainly because there was some torrefied wheat in the grist.
The main rest was performed at 68C, for a period of 90 min (due to Maris clearing better with a 90+ min mash and 90 min boil).
BTW, as the fermentation occurred where I could see it, I simulated the Yorkshire square by rousing the yeast with a fermentor "twist" on close to a daily basis. This could be the main factor that you're missing.

Edit: I have mentioned previously on this forum that I usually achieve higher than expected attenuation rates. Not sure. Don't care too much as the beer is (mostly :lol: ) good. It may be the water or the method or equipment calibration (unlikely the calibration, I'd say). I suppose that begs the rider of YMMV.

Les

Great to see people using this terrific yeast.
Only used it once but with terrific result.
Did I type terrific??
Terrific it is :D

I've just finished off a run of Ringwood ales. Loved every one of them. Still have an IIPA and big porter in the fermenters. They seem to have slowed down. Might need a thorough rousing, hey?

I've just finished off a run of Ringwood ales. Loved every one of them. Still have an IIPA and big porter in the fermenters. They seem to have slowed down. Might need a thorough rousing, hey?
Rousing is how it works in Yorkshire squares. Constantly.

Wake 'em up! :eek:

C&B
TDA

Cant add anything in addition to Lezs spot on observations.

For the record, apparent attenuation was 50, 60, 72, 67 for a run of 2 x milds, an old ale and a stout. The first one used a 9 month old pack from the Monk which i made into a 2L starter but didnt see a whole lot of action. I then repitched 1/2 a washed yeast cake, then a full washed yeast cake then a 1/2 washed yeast cake in that order.

Mash temps were 70, and 68-69 for the 2 milds.

i have a fresh prop in the fridge.

Back