Who's Used Wyeast 1187 Ringwood

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the replys.

At just under 4 days in, the SG as dropped from 63 to 20. All the foam has collapsed but there is still a nice layer of yeast on top & still bubbles coming through.

I tasted the yeasty hydrometer sample & it was really good. Didn't even reek of diacetyl like the starter did.

I know that I'm digging up a very old thread, but I brewed a TT Landlord clone using Ringwood recently, fermented at 19 with no problems at all, but I'm not liking the results.

I'm getting banana from the beer.............

Did I do something wrong?

Some 20 years ago I lived close to the Ringwood Brewery and used to enjoy their beers a lot. It's been a long time but I don't remember them having a hint of Banana.

I've not had isoamyl acetate fron ringwood. What was at 19? Fridge setting or actual fermenting wort?

JasonP said:
Did you under pitch?
I don't think so. I used a starter. I cant remember the size, but would have been based on Beersmith.

I also oxygenate using an O2 bottle and stone, so I don't think that's a problem.

Cervantes said:
That would be fridge temperature.
Fermentation generates a fair bit of heat so thete's a good chance the wort was a few degrees warmer.

The wire on the temp probe on my controller isn't quite long enough to strap to the side of my fermentation vessel so dangles in the fridge.

I need to get my act together and sort it out.

That said though I think that I'm going to revert to S-04. Easy to get and store and I've never had a bad brew when using it.

Wyeast Ringwood can chuck fruity esters when fermented warmer. However apparently it's not the same Ringwood from the brewery in Hampshire, apparently the source was Sweden so it's maybe son of son of Ringwood.

Ringwood has spawned all over the planet a bit like the Blob, and is used quite a bit in US craft breweries apparently. The original Hants strain came from the Hull North Countries brewery and was rescued from there by a brewer. I'd love to get my hands on some of the real stuff. I'm old enough to have actually got paralytic on Hull when I was in Scarborough in the 70s.

Cervantes said:
The wire on the temp probe on my controller isn't quite long enough to strap to the side of my fermentation vessel so dangles in the fridge.

I need to get my act together and sort it out.

That said though I think that I'm going to revert to S-04. Easy to get and store and I've never had a bad brew when using it.
Side of your fermenter may not be right either, due to the insulation barrier (plastic).
Really you need to measure fermenting wort, calculate how much hotter and set your thermostat accordingly (or get a thermowell).
My ghetto method is simply to quickly fill a hydrometer tube with a thermometer sitting in it. Not 100% accurate but enough to tell me that actively fermenting wort sits about 2.5 deg above ambient. Every yeast and wort will differ somewhat but the info is enough for me to work out a fermentation schedule.
Usually I pitch 2-3 degrees colder than preferred (thermo setting, get no chilled wort to same temp), keep it there for 3 days then bump the ambient up to reflect intended fermentation temp. As active ferment drops, so does the heat it generates so I bring them into balance.
Ocassionally I'll bump up the temp to 21 or so after 5 or so days.
Brew and yeast dependent - this is my general regime for session beers like apas and uk bitters.

Manticle,

Many thanks for the detailed reply.

The problem I have is that I work FIFO and am generally not there during fermentation.

I normally brew, throw the brew in the fermentor and then head back to work for three weeks while it does it's thing.

Next time I get a chance though I'll give this a try.

Judging by your results I should probably drop the fridge temp a couple of degrees anyway.

Edit: Spilling

Maybe try ringwood once more, same recipe and set the fridge for 17 instead. See if you get much difference.

If I can get hold of some I'll give it a try.

My other problem is that I live about a two and half hour drive from my closest liquid yeast supplier, so it's not very often that I bother. But next time I'm down that way I'll get some more and give it one more shot.

I had high hopes for this yeast as I'm a fan of the Ringwood beers from old.

I would make sure that you are giving a good amount of oxygen / aeration. I know in weizens brewers will intentionally under aerate to get more banana.

For the temp control thing you could chill your wort down to about 15 before pitching and set your fridge to 18-20. The low start temp will reduce the speed of initial ferment and the heat generated. It will also make for a cleaner ferment as many off the harsher flavours are formed during the Initial growth phase of the yeast.

Ringwood hasn't given me noticeable banana before, it tends to be more stone fruit to me.

black_labb said:
Ringwood hasn't given me noticeable banana before, it tends to be more stone fruit to me.
Of course this could just be me. I don't have the most refined of palates.......................

Its such a unique and beautiful yeast, don't give up on it after one fail. The stone fruit esters are killer.

I've used this yeast 3 times now and I'm not totally sold the first was a ESB and I thought it was ok but got pinged for aceltahyde at a club meet, then tried again with an English barley wine but pitched big thinking I had learnt my lesson and got pinged again! Then thought I would try again and used a very fresh smack pack and a big starter on my original ESB recipe and again at the qabc got pinged for aceldahyde :( have never had this issue with any other yeast and I can assure you I never underpitched and my temps were always about 20c. Saying this my father who is English loved it and many others who had a taste did also. And I also never had issues with attenuation I think my barley wine went from 1080 to 1008

Back