Whole Atlantic Salmon Baked In Foil

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bandito

Reaction score
Just about to bake a whole atlantic salmon in the oven. Ive tried a couple of times, one at 73degC which was bloody beautiful (especially on sliced white bread toasted in a low oven for 1/2 hour) and another at 66degC which was christmas lunch but was a bit too tender, so whats the best temp? I'm thinking 75degC for this run, for about 2 hours?

Will chuck up some pics as they are available. First one of the beast on ice.

whole_salmon1.jpg

No idea but looks like a monster fish. Love salmon fillets steamed in foil packets with some lemon a few herbs and a bit of lemongrass+ a shot of vodka to keep it moist.

I usually cook at about 100C fan oven for 15mins and they turn out O.K. not really sure of what temps and times you are supposed to use.

Well, its almost finnished, oven has been cycling between about 73 and 80C (judging from the thermocouple). Got a bit cought up drinking with the neighbours, so reset the timer 15mins ago for another 1/2 hour. Pics show wrapping it in aluminium foil. I put down 3 layers, then another two layers next to it, and folded them over to make one extra wide and extra strong foil - this took a whole 5m roll of extra wide foil.

Will post pics of the finnished product tomorrow afternoon. I will be making a huge vegetable and slamon bake with heaps of small portions of plain salmon to have in sandwiches for lunch at work.

salmon_whole.jpg

salmon_without_head_or_tail.jpg

inside_salmon_with_bay_leaves.jpg

wrapping_a_salmon_step_1.jpg

wrapping_a_salmon_step_2.jpg

wrapping_a_salmon_step_3.jpg

wrapping_a_salmon_step_4.jpg

wrapping_a_salmon_step_5.jpg

wrapping_a_salmon_testing_temp.jpg

Your first post was at 10.30pm, and the pictures of getting it ready at 4.30am, but we don't get to see the cooked product until tomorrow afternoon.
So I'm wondering just how long you're cooking it for? :)

I think it was in the oven for 4 hours. Put it in the fridge just after dawn. I havent opened it up yet. Was planning on a carrot, brocolli, colliflower, salmon and bacon cheese bake.

Turned out perfect. 4 hours at between 73 and 80C cooked it really well, tastes like heaven, I'm sure 2.5 hours would have been enough though. It wasnt scaled as I heard the scales help to keep the moisture in. Half went in the vege bake, and the other half made 11 portions.

whole_salmon_1.jpg

whole_salmon_2.jpg

whole_salmon_3.jpg

whole_salmon_4.jpg

whole_salmon_5.jpg

Was planning on a carrot, brocolli, colliflower, salmon and bacon cheese bake.

Just personal taste but I hope your brewery automation design skills are better than your recipe design skills.

Lovely fish, hideous sounding concoction. I realise it's not me eating it but salmon with bacon?!? Forget the cheese bake thing which I'm not a fan of and forget the fact that I don't really like cauliflower but salmon, cheese and salted cured pork is not a combination I would be in a hurry to try unless it was put together in a very specific way by somebody very talented.

The ex-chef in me is a little upset at what you've done to one of the members of fish royalty. I hope you are forgiven in the afterlife. Next time save yourself some time and open a tin.

As for moisture - I think the skin and the seventeen layers of foil will keep that in just fine. Enjoy the sandwiches.

didnt add the bacon, added heaps of salt instead, but have tried it before and its beautiful. Dont know what to do with the 2kg of bacon though.

What exactly is wrong with what I have done? Its the same price as tins, and this way I save on buying smoked salmon. The last packet of smoked salmon I got was horrible, turned me right off it.

Next one will be a whole smoked salmon ;)

Nothing's wrong with it mate - it's your meal. Just doesn't appeal to me and I couldn't help myself.

I'm sure there's a food combination somewhere that somebody could suggest to you that would make you think 'ew'? This is one of mine. Some people like peanut butter with jam and celery.

Myself I wouldn't see why you need to bake it that low for that long with that much foil - working against yourself. Salmon has a lot of oil and doesn't require super slow cooking. Loads of foil will resist the heat as much as hold it in. What you've done is almost send it off to get a nice tan. Nonetheless - if you're happy with the results then why not? Just pair it with something better than a cheese bake - to me (and to me - I'm not writing the law) it's a waste of a good fish. I wouldn't put fresh tuna in a 'tuna bake' either. (then again I wouldn't make a tuna bake at all).

I'm trying to replicate a meal that used to be available on weekends at the sofitel hotel in brisbane. They had a seafood buffet with a whole salmon. I used to go there and have a few prawns, then 1/4 of the fish. I believe its the low temp that makes it cooked but tender as hell - worlds away from normal cooked salmon. This one turned out almost exactly the same, but not as tender (I prefer this consistancy as it can be a bit sickening when its like jelly). Also forgot the lemons and tyme to put in the belly.

I used heaps of foil because the last two times the foil has broken, didnt break this time. The 9 layers might have something to do with that :blink:

Never had any cooked salmon that was not tender as hell. Didn't know there was a easy to make it tough.
Not like Squid and Octopus where it can be tough.

Never had any cooked salmon that was not tender as hell. Didn't know there was a easy to make it tough.
Not like Squid and Octopus where it can be tough.

No, it will never be tough, but it can definitely turn out dry. You want it to be juicy and moist like your missus own salmon pie. :lol:

I will be smoking an Atlantic salmon this weekend in my UDS (as well as a pork belly and ribs). Ive found to stop it from drying out, it's very important to soak the fish in brine overnight.

There's a lot of recipes out there for salmon smoking brine, look them up on google, but from memory I usually use one similar to this:

1/3 c. brown sugar
1/4 c. non-iodized salt
1/2 c. soy sauce
1 c. water
1/2 tsp. onion powder
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. Tabasco sauce
1 c. dry white wine

I dont go overboard with foil either. I just place it on one piece of foil and poke some holes in it to let the smoke seep through, and dont put any foil on over the top. Slices of lemon in the belly helps impart some lovely flavour too. mmmm I cant wait for the weekend! Im sick of this bloody election. :p

Nothing's wrong with it mate - it's your meal. Just doesn't appeal to me and I couldn't help myself.

I'm sure there's a food combination somewhere that somebody could suggest to you that would make you think 'ew'? This is one of mine. Some people like peanut butter with jam and celery.

Myself I wouldn't see why you need to bake it that low for that long with that much foil - working against yourself. Salmon has a lot of oil and doesn't require super slow cooking. Loads of foil will resist the heat as much as hold it in. What you've done is almost send it off to get a nice tan. Nonetheless - if you're happy with the results then why not? Just pair it with something better than a cheese bake - to me (and to me - I'm not writing the law) it's a waste of a good fish. I wouldn't put fresh tuna in a 'tuna bake' either. (then again I wouldn't make a tuna bake at all).

Haha, i can feel the pain of that bubble that has just popped inside your brain mants! :p

Nothing better than a side of salmon cooked until lobes of the meat peel away and only just done. even better, not cooked at all. :beerbang:

One thing i do like bandito is the low temps you are cooking at. drop that temperature down to 50deg, get a standing roast of ribeye and blowtorch the outside then cook that sucker for 24 hours. it breaks down all of the protein making it meltingly tender. Then all you ahve todo is cut up your steaks and bbq em. best steaks you will eat. Atleast according to heston Blumenthal. ;)

Now thats COOKIN!

Latest posts

Back