Who invented BIAB?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pat deserves the credit for BIAB. His determination was fierce

There are some posts deep in AHB of some yanks not beleiving it was posssble and in the end they believed it to be the best thing in brewing.

If you check out the podcast on beersmith about BIAB featuring Pat, a brewer on this forum called James Squire asked the question of why can't we brew in one vessel & it says he was the first electric Biaber in an urn. ( 7:20 into the podcast )
It really took off from there.

That's the thread I mentioned earlier crusty. Any likelihood of a link or suggested search term? Active discussions like that one are what made AHB great.

manticle said:
That's the thread I mentioned earlier crusty. Any likelihood of a link or suggested search term? Active discussions like that one are what made AHB great.
This is the very first thread that was started by James Squire, it grew from there.

A Guide to All grain brewing in a bag is a pinned thread in the All grain forum created by Pistol himself, most everything to do with BIAB developement is in there somewhere.

That's the one AQ.
Some great discussions in there as people tease out the reality from the various bits of theory.

I also remember Thirsty Boy doing a great job of promoting the method on the BN forum.

AndrewQLD said:
A fair bit of testing went into looking at efficiencies with the method including the effects of full volume mashing on final wort as opposed to sparging, mash ph at full volume, crush size and efficiency ect.
From memory Dave Line used the bag more as a straining device and sparged as well.
The BIAB method that Pistol Patch and many others worked on was for a full volume mash with no sparging required and the main idea was to be able to use only one vessel for the whole process rather than having multiple vessels to do the job.
Not sure how Dave Line brewed in the BB of Brewing but in beers like those you buy one of the methods he recommends is the Bruheat Boiler which is a single vessel for the whole process, Line describes it as a custom built boiler for brewing and said as the thermostat can be set between 10C and 100C it successfully copes with all the brewing processes of mashing, boiling and fermenting.

When I used the bruheat and bag I mashed almost full volume then lifted the bag above the boiler to drain supported on a broom handle between two chairs and sparged with about 2-3L of warm water from a kettle or saucepan.

I can’t remember where I got the method from though maybe the instructions that came with the Bruheat.

S.E said:
Not sure how Dave Line brewed in the BB of Brewing but in beers like those you buy one of the methods he recommends is the Bruheat Boiler which is a single vessel for the whole process, Line describes it as a custom built boiler for brewing and said as the thermostat can be set between 10C and 100C it successfully copes with all the brewing processes of mashing, boiling and fermenting.

When I used the bruheat and bag I mashed almost full volume then lifted the bag above the boiler to drain supported on a broom handle between two chairs and sparged with about 2-3L of warm water from a kettle or saucepan.

I can’t remember where I got the method from though maybe the instructions that came with the Bruheat.
I have both of Dave Lines books, he was a pioneer of brewing and my first all grain beer came from "Brewing beers like those you buy", I wasn't suggesting that the method had never been done before only that there was never any real in depth detail on the pocess and the effects full volume mashing would have on a recipe.
The testing that was done here on AHB resulted in a proven method of all grain brewing that is just as good as any other system used today.
Previously the method was considered a great way to get started in the hobby and most people assumed that a 3 v system would give better results as a whole and as such they moved on. It seems that now more people are happy to remain a BIABer because the system is just as good as any other.

S.E said:
Interesting, in what way was it refined and improved?

Drawstrings.

Pat is a certified champ.
Occasionally he needs a real brewer to tell him how beer is made.
Hi Pat if you are reading :)

AndrewQLD said:
I have both of Dave Lines books, he was a pioneer of brewing and my first all grain beer came from "Brewing beers like those you buy", I wasn't suggesting that the method had never been done before only that there was never any real in depth detail on the pocess and the effects full volume mashing would have on a recipe.
The testing that was done here on AHB resulted in a proven method of all grain brewing that is just as good as any other system used today.
Previously the method was considered a great way to get started in the hobby and most people assumed that a 3 v system would give better results as a whole and as such they moved on. It seems that now more people are happy to remain a BIABer because the system is just as good as any other.
Reading through the threads linked in posts above there certainly was a lot of testing done on AHB but I would be surprised if the Bruheat and Electrim BIAB systems hadn’t been tested before they were marketed in the UK.

[SIZE=11pt]To be fair I don’t think it was the testing on AHB that resulted in BIAB as proven method of all grain brewing, as it has been for many years and remains a common method of home brewing in the UK. [/SIZE]

Camo6 said:
Drawstrings.
[SIZE=11pt]It would seem so but I was genuinely interested in how such a simple method could be improved.[/SIZE]

S.E said:
[SIZE=11pt]It would seem so but I was genuinely interested in how such a simple method could be improved.[/SIZE]
Considering this method was virtually unheard of here in Australia, and America by the sounds of things for that matter, I would have thought that the information resource that has been gathered here on ahb and also the BIAB forum is a vast improvement on the information that was available before.
We are also lucky enough to have an AHB member who developed brewing software specifically for and because of the BIAB testing that was done here. I'd have thought that an improvement.

I guess we are a bit provicial and behind the times here which is why we were not fully aware of it's popularity in the U.K, and yes it is a simple method but it took the work of Pistol and associates to really bring it to the fore and convince brewers here that it would work well.

I started all grain brewing with BIAB. Was directed to the Biabrewer forum from this one. Followed all the beginners guides and calculators that Pistol Patch et al had worked hard on and hit all my numbers the very first batch.
Maybe they hadn't pioneered BIAB but they sure refined it and made it not only a painless entry level method into AG but a thoroughly researched and independent method in it's own right. Still remember the taste of my first biab (amarillo pale ale) and wondered how I'd wasted so much time with kits.
God bless you Patch. May your bag never burst.

+ 1 this story except I got referred to Biabrewer from a demo at G&G

Camo6 said:
I started all grain brewing with BIAB. Was directed to the Biabrewer forum from this one. Followed all the beginners guides and calculators that Pistol Patch et al had worked hard on and hit all my numbers the very first batch.
Maybe they hadn't pioneered BIAB but they sure refined it and made it not only a painless entry level method into AG but a thoroughly researched and independent method in it's own right. Still remember the taste of my first biab (amarillo pale ale) and wondered how I'd wasted so much time with kits.
God bless you Patch. May your bag never burst.
I did NRB's All Amarillo Ale first up and was blown away.

I'm a failure.
I've never done a BIAB.

AHB, forgive me for my past and future sins as I continue with my 3V method.

I've been at Bribie G's and see him do a brew in about 2/3rd the time it takes me with my 3V and chiller method, so there's definitely some positives to BIAB along with No Chill.

nu_brew said:
+ 1 this story except I got referred to Biabrewer from a demo at G&G

I did NRB's All Amarillo Ale first up and was blown away.
I know right! I was all like:

whoa.jpg

We could do a BIAB vs 3v...

Oh....wait......Stu that would be a dumb idea

Latest posts

Back