White Wine Flavour?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevo

Reaction score
Howdy?

What might cause a presumably unintentional white wine/honey flavour in a beer?

Particularly in a light lager or pils? But maybe in an IPA too?

cheers

Do you mean really fruity/floral with a hint of higher alcohols, sort of like spirits? If so, fermentation temperature being a bit too high with a possibility of underpitching playing a role.

Would say fermentation temp, most likely. Too high by the sounds of it. What yeast were you using, and what temp? What sort of temp control do you have (if any)?

Cheers

If it tastes like chardy you've got diacetyl.

Not my beers, but a few by the same brewer I tasted today.

All bar one had the same character, the other may have had it but was pretty big so couldn't taste it (the white wine character), the other three I mentioned all had the same winey/honey character.

I was thinking it was caused by fermentation temperature.

White wine in the nose, and in the flavour, a honey flavour in the aftertaste.

Kev

A young light, basic lager will have a the taste that you describe. I always taste a brew every week after bottling and the taste you describe disappears after 4-5 weeks. That is my experience with AG brewing and the appropriate fermentation temp and diacetyl rest.

Matt

put simply: sweet diacetyl, crispish (wine like) acetaldhyde: either way fermenation problem, incomplete, prob a mix of both.
K

Were Nelson Sauvin hops used by any chance?

K and Kai have said it - an incomplete fermentation leaving behind some acetylaldehyde and diacetyl. I very often find that diacetyl comes across as a honey note - and acetylaldehyde can be (as K said) crisp, fruity and wine like.

More time on the yeast.

Assuming of course that really is the issue

Righto,

tried a coopers 62 pils last night and got the same white wine/chardonnay flavour.

I'm not familiar with this flavour in a pils - assume it's a flaw, can't recall it in any euro pils I've tried in the past. :unsure:

Would you think it might be the same diacetyl issue?

Or maybe I'm tasting it really clearly?

Or should it be there?

Cheers

Kev

Wild Yeast?

Being adjacent to the Hunter wine producing region, every February-March I get a bunch of locals coming in with "Strange" flavours cropping up in their beer, white wine yeasts should be declared a pest for beer brewers.

MHB

Back