White Labs WLP059 Melbourne Ale yeast to be released

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally drinking my crack at the 1917 Tooths Whitehorse that I brewed recently with the 059. It's pretty good! There's a lot of flavour that I think is yeast driven. It's tricky to find where the hops flavour ends and the yeast begins (or vice versa). Like I mentioned in an earlier post; this one got away on me with temps during the heat wave and was fermenting around 23C. No noticeable unpleasant flavours.

Attachments

• IMG20180213174310.jpg
    IMG20180213174310.jpg
    525.3 KB · Views: 136
i brewed up a 5.3% maris otter single malt ale using with a bit of super pride for bittering and home grown victoria hops in the whirlpool. decent drop!

have now pitched an IPA on the yeast cake and it's gone banana's.... from 1.058 down to 1.003 in 5 days and still seems to have some activity going on. I was planning on it finishing arouns 1.006 so my high 6% IPA has now turned into mid 7's. hopefully its not too dry

1.003 ha! Its notorious like that sometimes. Got me at 1.002 when it was meant to be 1.008.
Its finished unexpectedly high G for me once too. An all malt with high mash temps. Maybe the best Hop bomb beer I've ever made.
Its attenuation is unrecognized on record etc. Its one I wish I could learn more on the brewing experiments.
I have 2 frozen vials but you cant beat it from the Lab.

I capped the fermenter at 1.003 and it rose to 15psi in about 8 hours. So I reckon it's going to finish even lower.

Hopefully it tastes ok, or I might have to back sweeten it.

Don't mess with it. It is what it is. Take notes of it all especially the unexpected results like its Attenuation.
That's still got me puzzled since it has gone both ways higher and lower but still has a favourable flavor. Its distinct flavor comes out in those dry beers so get to know it. My last brew is still going in the keg. Half gone now.
Tooths 1917 Whitehorse Pale Ale gone wiley in high efficiency and low FG.
Using sugars and flaked maize its efficiency is high and FG low. Still it tastes sweet to me. but hesitant to drink because its higher ABV. Dangerous!

The planned 6 something% ipa turned into a 1.002 fg, 7.3% monster. It was a little hot tasting to start with but has conditioned into a very nice drop. Only a quarter keg left from 3 kegs brewed so thats a good sign. Despite finishing so low it isn't too dry or thin on the mouth at all.

Gone a bit quiet on this thread so thought I'd bring out the shovel and dig it up. Found a vial of this in the back of my fridge that I'd forgotten about. Nearly a year past it's use by date, made a starter to see if its still viable and its gone off like a frog in a sock! Just pitched it into a sparkling ale so here's hoping i get that nice dryness i had in my earlier beers with this yeast. Love it

Gone a bit quiet on this thread so thought I'd bring out the shovel and dig it up. Found a vial of this in the back of my fridge that I'd forgotten about. Nearly a year past it's use by date, made a starter to see if its still viable and its gone off like a frog in a sock! Just pitched it into a sparkling ale so here's hoping i get that nice dryness i had in my earlier beers with this yeast. Love it
How did it turn out? Thinking about firing up a starter of this myself. Haven't used it since my first attempt which ended up being too high in ABV to be enjoyable. I'll be skipping the sugar next time and just stick to malts. Read some stuff online about American guys using it for APAs etc with success. I might use it for my next APA.

im still using generations of this.
made a 5.4% old on it..... one of the best beers i've made

I made the tooths pale ale with this yeast and didn't like it. I then made a coopers like aussie ale and everyone loved it.

How did it turn out? Thinking about firing up a starter of this myself. Haven't used it since my first attempt which ended up being too high in ABV to be enjoyable. I'll be skipping the sugar next time and just stick to malts. Read some stuff online about American guys using it for APAs etc with success. I might use it for my next APA.
Hey yeah went really well, ferment took off quickly and dropped nice and clear as always. I made a sparkling ale which I'm drinking now. Nice dry with a slight bubble gum ester. Took some yeast samples after fermentation to culture back up for bext time. Maybe see how it goes in a big hoppy pale ale next.

Latest posts

Back