White Labs Release Yeast Nutrient

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doc

Doctor's Orders Brewing
Reaction score
Finally White Labs have release yeast nutrient. The nice thing I see over the Wyeast yeast nutrient is that it is in capsule form so no measuring/teaspoons required.

Beers,
Doc

Servomyces Yeast Nutrient

Servomyces is a nutritional yeast supplement (GMO free) that was originally developed for German brewers by Weihenstephan and the Munich University. It conforms to the restrictions of Reinheitsgebot. Servomyces enables any yeast strain's ability to incorporate essential nutrients into its cellular structure. Tested in breweries around the world, it has been proven to:

Cut down fermentation time
Increase flocculation
Greatly reduce harsh sulfur notes
Improve the health and viability of yeast
Reduce levels of diacetyl at the end of primary fermentation
Produce faster, more complete attenuations
Increase yeast production for a better harvest
Improve the quality of the finished product

Recent developments have made Servomyces available to homebrewers and home winemakers. Each retail packet contains 6 capsules, which can each be used for a 5-gallon (20 to 25L) batch of beer, wine, mead or cider. The instructions are listed below:

Add 1 capsule 10 minutes prior to the end of the boil.

OR, If your fermentation does not require a boil, open the capsule and pour in the Servomyces, since the capsule casing requires boiling to melt.

Only one capsule is required per 5-gallon (20 to 25 L) batch.

Servomyces can be used in all fermentations, including beer, wine, cider and mead.

Hi Doc,

Do you issue "prescriptions" for these capsules? :lol:

And thanks for the xmas greetings!!!

Cheers

any quick guesses on pricing? may be a good investment if farming yest.

Hey Doc, they've sold this for quite a while, but the packaging is new.

From what i can tell, it's just "sacrificial" dead yeast that's been fed heaps of nutrients - this is to get around the Reinheitsgebot as for example they can't add copper, but can add yeast that's full of copper.

How much more effective is this stuff compared with say the yeast nutrient salts the HBS has been selling for years? I put a teaspoon of this in each brew and assume it works....

- Snow

does anyone know of somewhere that sells this and if so how much are they?

Preferably in brisbane or available via web/mail order

Thanks Beers, not very cheap are they...

$15 for 6, anyone used theese tablets and recommend them at all?

I use the yeast nutrient powder sold by ESB peakhurst, its $8.50 for a pack. You only use a 1/4tsp so it looks like theres enough in there for 50 brews. Its really good stuff.

Snow said:
How much more effective is this stuff compared with say the yeast nutrient salts the HBS has been selling for years? I put a teaspoon of this in each brew and assume it works....

- Snow
[post="40525"][/post]​
At what point do you put this stuff in?
I bought a pack of nutrient for under $10 from Chapel Hill last week but once I got home and started my brew I realised I did not know what to do with it so I chucked it into the boil around 30 minutes in. :unsure:

mikem108 said:
Put it in whilst aerating the wort or soon after
[post="64223"][/post]​

I'm pretty sure the instructions on the tube recommend a 5 min boil.
I usually chuck mine in with the aroma hops.

Thats what I do but the instructions indicate adding to the boil is optional.

"Servomyces for the Home brewer will be available in a blister package of 6 capsule with each capsule good for a 5 - gallon(22 liter) batch of beer, mead, wine or cider. Add the capsule (s) of Servomyces into wort 10 minutes before end of boil, if boiling is not required, open capsule and pour contents into wort"

My first worry would be that adding to the boil would denature or otherwise destroy some of the compounds contained within. Does anyone know if this would be the case at all?

I'd be more worried about dumping unsanitised "yeast food" into my cool wort.

I wouldn't imagine it to be any more dangerous than dried yeast.

Kai said:
My first worry would be that adding to the boil would denature or otherwise destroy some of the compounds contained within. Does anyone know if this would be the case at all?
[post="64242"][/post]​

Well I hope your wrong as I boiled my wyeat nutrient for the full 60 mins yesterday. With me its a matter of putting it in before I forget :)

I was under the impression that the 'yeast nutrient' was more in the form of minerals (zinc etc) and have assumed that they could not be de-natured like organic based nutrient.

Yeah, I guess it just depends on what's in it.

My concern about adding nutrients to the boil is that they may be caught up in the cold break and be seperated out.

When adding nutrients to the primary, I boil up about half a litre of water, add the extras to that, boil for a bit, chill and add to the fermenter.

Latest posts

Back