White Foamy Head

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tdack

Reaction score
Thanks to the SWMBO I've started developing a taste for darker beers, as a result I've brewed a couple.

First was a K+K Tooheys Old type clone, ended up a bit sweet, probably didn't let ferment for long enough. Next up was a Dunkelweizen extract, that turned out a treat, very tasty and very pleased with it.

With both these beers though the foam/head is always coloured tan/brown. It doesn't look bad and tastes fine.

Is it possible with home brews to get a nice white foamy head, like Guiness and Tooheys Old? Or am I doing something wrong and should have been getting one anyway.

I posted this early in the year.

"Haven't a clue wot those guys were on about but I came across some bubble stuff a couple of months ago that relates to the colour of bubbles.
The question was asked why bubbles in coloured liquids appear white. The answer was that the bubble of course is essentially a clear gas encapsulated in a liquid film drawn so thin that it too becomes transparent to the extent that the colour of the dye is not apparent.
Where is all this leading? To the hoary old question that pops up occasionally in this place----"Why is the head on a Guinness white and very dark on my home brew stout". The answer must be the pigment loading. I've mucked about with dyes and pigments a bit in my time and if you want to make a clear liquid black, a few drops will do it as well as a bucketload, its just that the colour appears "thinner" and if you spread the dyed liquid out, it becomes transparent. Therefore it must be concluded that the Dublin brewer must use just enough dark grains to make the beer black without affecting the head whereas, we tend to load up our brews with every black bit of stuff we can find. That may explain why Guinness now seems a little lacking in body since my palate has been conditioned to the likes of Vlads Stoutski."

I should add that if you are brewing kits you will have very little control over the colour.

've mucked about with dyes and pigments a bit in my time and if you want to make a clear liquid black, a few drops will do it as well as a bucketload, its just that the colour appears "thinner" and if you spread the dyed liquid out, it becomes transparent. Therefore it must be concluded that the Dublin brewer must use just enough dark grains to make the beer black without affecting the head whereas, we tend to load up our brews with every black bit of stuff we can find. That may explain why Guinness now seems a little lacking in body since my palate has been conditioned to the likes of Vlads Stoutski."

I should add that if you are brewing kits you will have very little control over the colour.

Thanks for that, seems a reasonable explanation. I wasn't too worried as the taste is fine, and the desired results are achieved (slurred speech and loss of memory).

I guess I'll just be happy with my tasty beer and non-white foamy bits, adds to the character.

Thanks for that, seems a reasonable explanation. I wasn't too worried as the taste is fine, and the desired results are achieved (slurred speech and loss of memory).

I guess I'll just be happy with my tasty beer and non-white foamy bits, adds to the character.

I have a batch of coopers stout in a keg and run though a stout tap. I get a creamy white head every time! Maybe it is the method of serving not the beer?

Good Luck

I have been making a pretty good Tooheys Old type of dark beer. I use a Beer Makers Old can of goo, but I use a "milk stout improver" sugar which has lots of malt, maltodextrone and (the secret ingredient) lactose. Lactose is sugar from milk. In my experience it makes the head whiter and smoother, sort of like Guiness draught. I also use fuggles hops. Makes a handy, tasty old that my father keeps stealing from my stash.

Give it a lash, you won't regret it.

Back