Whirlpool Chiller

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kleiny

There is no Charge for Awesomeness
Reaction score
Whirlpool Chiller (Jamil)

is anybody using this method for whirlpool and chilling i think it looks pretty good.

Im going to add the whirlpool part to my own imersion chiller this weekend.

Anybody got any thoughts on this.

Kleiny

disclaimer: I did do a search.

I use something similar - have my immersion chiller in the kettle, and recirculate through my pump and back to the kettle through a return valve. Saves me stirring for 30 odd minutes, and seems to aid in getting my wort down to pitching temp nice and quickly :)

Will post pics sometime.....

Cheers

Here is mine. I recirculate through it 10 min before flame out to sanitise and it does help with cooling. However done expect it to for a hop cone on the base, FBs are the best method every for removing trub.

IMG_2262.jpg

A number of people here have tried that particular approach and have reported that the March pump most of us use (809 pl hs) doesn't have anywhere near enough ground to whirlpool it properly.

I've moved to this method for the past six batches and found a significant improvement in terms of chilling rate and water usage (even though I pump grey water between two drums with a second pump and effectively use nil tap water).

And, yes, I can vouch for the effectiveness of recirulating chilled water (I used 3x2L icecream containers of ice + a few litres of water in an old fermenter) to maintain the chilling rate during the latter part of chilling process ie. when the wort temp drops around the 30C mark. It has to work, because in principle we're chilling 30C wort with 0C water instead of, say, 15C water.

One issue I am yet to properly sort out, however, is wort bubbling in the kettle-out / pump-in hose before flame out. IIRC, JZ suggests recirculating wort for a few minutes to sanitise his pump. My attempts haven't been that successful before flame out, yet the problem has consistently disappeared a minute or so after flame out. A hop change from pellets to plugs/flowers made no difference. Ditto for a change from a false bottom kettle manifold to a pickup tube. Perhaps the wort bubbling is just a quirk with my system (there's only a 250mm drop between kettle-out and pump-in points). I've been scratching my head over this 'bug' for some time. So far, I can only guess that with the wort only a hair's breath away from boiling point, a drop in pressure courtesy of the pump intake (suction), any gases are more likely to come out of solution. Which said, leads to another question I'm yet to answer: are the bubbles air, oxygen, water vapour or whatever?

Of course, recirculating wort before flame out is not absolutely necessary. There are other ways of sanitising a pump - like recirculating after flame out for a few minutes whilst the wort temperature is above 80C. And as mentioned, my problem may simply be isolated to my own system. Or then again, perhaps not? (I'll wait with interest to see what others have found?).

Bottom line, really sold on how effective this system chills, especially down to lager pitching temps. And with the immersion chiller, this system is insensitive to hop or break material leaving the kettle.

Cheers

A number of people here have tried that particular approach and have reported that the March pump most of us use (809 pl hs) doesn't have anywhere near enough ground to whirlpool it properly.

Seemed to work well when I watched NickB do it,perhaps it takes a little while to get the whirlpool happening.
What about hop and break material in your chiller? (If your using a plate or CCFC)

Batz

Yeah maybe the whirlpool just isnt as obvious as a vigorous stir. The guys I read about said they couldnt get it to work well at all, and abandoned the idea. SJW and Trent come to mind, thought not sure if it were either of them.

I pump all the crud through my plate chiller, never had a problem. The only blockage I've ever had was in a QD. I use those white plastic 'CPC' QDs, and they have this stupid little cross in the middle of it. Hook two of them together, and you have two of these crosses, potentially not lined up, which creates a significant restriction which loves trapping hop flowers from the boil, and grain from the mash tun. I installed a pickup tube filter courtesy of Wayne from beerbelly and havent had anymore QD blockage problems from my kettle. /rant

Yeah maybe the whirlpool just isnt as obvious as a vigorous stir. The guys I read about said they couldnt get it to work well at all, and abandoned the idea. SJW and Trent come to mind, thought not sure if it were either of them.

I pump all the crud through my plate chiller, never had a problem. The only blockage I've ever had was in a QD. I use those white plastic 'CPC' QDs, and they have this stupid little cross in the middle of it. Hook two of them together, and you have two of these crosses, potentially not lined up, which creates a significant restriction which loves trapping hop flowers from the boil, and grain from the mash tun. I installed a pickup tube filter courtesy of Wayne from beerbelly and havent had anymore QD blockage problems from my kettle. /rant

I haven't chilled for ages but gave it a go yesterday for old times sake,it is nice to pitch straight away. Before beer-belly and others stocked chillers (in fact nobody in Australia did) I bought one of these from the US

http://morebeer.com/view_product/19533/102...terflow_Chiller

It does a fantastic job but I suspect hops and shit could lodge in there.I aways use a simple filter (like an irrigation one but form a boating place)
I only pass through the chiller once but passing through it while whir-pooling sounds like an advantage. Get off your arse and try it hey Batz ?

Batz

Im thinking its just a simple addition to my immersion chiller so im going to give it a go.

So far my biggest problem is hop material blocking my strainer devices (ive tried more than one with little success) :angry:

Im hoping this will create the whirlpool and leave alot in the middle of my Kettle.

I might just have to buy another false bottom or the hop strainer from beerbelly.

Jamil's podcasts seem to suggest this does a great job and he is only using a march pump in the pics (i have the same style of setup as do most of us).

Going to give it a go this week and will post results next weekend.

Kleiny

I think the main thing (in terms of cooling) is just turbulence. Even if you don't get a full-on whirlpool happening. More wort gets exposed to the cooling element so it will work more effectively.

I aways use a simple filter (like an irrigation one but form a boating place)

:icon_offtopic: Like a Y strainer or something? Any chance of some more info?

i have a copper immersion chiller and this has peaked my interest, just wondering if the wort flow needs to come from the inside for this to work as i am currently in the process of placing a return valve on the top half of the kettle as part of a circulated ss biab system i am working on, which would mean i could return the wort back to the kettle on the outside of the chiller, or would it be better to attach some hose to get the return in the middle of the chiller?

edit: never mind jye's setup is what i am talking about so i guess it works, i need to pay more attention before posting stupid questions lol

Back