Which water (in Melbourne)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TK1

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm about to start my third brew, and a cider shortly after (to keep the wife happy/tolerant if brewing in the kitchen!).

I'd be interested to know if others use tap water (unfiltered, in Melb east) or other sources and if it has a noticeable affect on flavour.

It would take me a while to boil 23 litres and let it cool, so I had thought of using bottled water - the big jugs/bottles from the supermarket. However some if these can taste 'dusty' or flat too.

So wondered if anyone had recommendations or thoughts on water sources?

Thanks,
Darren

Melbourne water is pretty good for brewing. I wouldn't worry too much about treating it unless you started to notice issues or were aiming for a particular profile (which is not really something to pursue with kits/extract beers, IMO). If it tastes alright out of the tap then I certainly wouldn't be looking at buying bottled water for a brew.

I use water straight from my tap, infact from the garden tap now that I brew outside. I bought a food grade (for caravans) hose from the big green shed and just run some hot water from the laundry through it for a few seconds before filling up my keggle.

When I first started brewing I was paranoid and bought Purina pure water from the supermarket for each brew, but that added $20 to each 20L batch so once I saw others used tap water my mind was set!

That is, until I start looking into the water chemistry side of brewing! :beer:

Nut shell: use the tap water

Hi,

Thanks both. Will stick to tap water for the kits! Much cheaper and easier option.

Thanks,
Darren

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back