Which Scale To Buy

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Henno

Beermologist
Reaction score
I intend to start AG soon and just realised one tool I don't have yet is a weight measuring device. What do most AGers use to do their weighing?

This was as close as I could find on eBay. Is a digital scale that goes up to 5kg enough?

Linky

Cheers
Henno

I intend to start AG soon and just realised one tool I don't have yet is a weight measuring device. What do most AGers use to do their weighing?

This was as close as I could find on eBay. Is a digital scale that goes up to 5kg enough?
Linky
Cheers
Henno
If you can get one with a 1g increment it would probably be better for hops. But 5kg total is fine. I only have a 3kg max and I usually measure my grain in 500g or 1kg steps.

There's a pic of my scales on myspace, link below.

Cheers,

5kg with 2g resolution is good. i have some postal scales the same 5kg/2g for about $50 2yrs ago from evilbay. this combo allows both grain & hops measurement.

cheers

Depends on if you actually need to weigh your grains out Henno, or if a HBS will be weighing and crushing for you, which is likely at least until you score a mill of some sorts.

I just scored some 30kg/5g increment digital scales. I already have the little scales for hops, but I needed to be able to weigh out up to 15kg grain at once, and also weigh parcels,so I went for the bigger one seeing as it was cheap.
Means I can weigh my gas bottle too so I can figure out just how much gas I'm going through......:)

Hi Henno,

I just got into AG myself and found and a 1g increment scale up to 5kg at KMart for $45. If you can afford it, the 1g increment is very handy for measuring out hops and other additions. It comes with a 1.5 liter plastic measuring cup (which is also handy) and the scale can be reset to 0 with any type of holding container like bowls for your different timed hops additions.

Good luck with it all!

BB

For grain go to E vil Bay, search for digital hanging scales. Only look for scales with 10g graduations, most handle up to 50Kg. Don't bid above $20 there are plenty of suppliers to choose from just keep bidding as they come up, got mine for $18

For hops I use digital kitchen scales, limit on these is 2Kg max.

I scored a new commercial scale off evilbay for only $40. (Inc shipping $35)

e226_1_b.JPG

It's range is b/w 5g to 30kg so ideal for weighing out grain and the seller seems to have plenty available cause he's listing them like every 6 hrs or so.

Hi Devo

Ive seen these on "Evilbay" and was thinking of buying one.Have you used them yet and what are they like?
Are they as advertised. Have you got the suppliers details?

Thanks
BS

Hey Devo, we think alike man, those are what I just bought the other day. :)

I bought my electronic hop scale on evilbay for $16. I have seen similar gear in shops for over $100. For grain I just steal the kitchen scales...

was in aldi yesterday and they have some that go to 3kg in gram increments (i think) for under $30

Hi Devo

Ive seen these on "Evilbay" and was thinking of buying one.Have you used them yet and what are they like?
Are they as advertised. Have you got the suppliers details?

Thanks
BS

I've used em on 4 x 9kg brews so far and it's been great. Also has a 10hr battery built in so you don't have to always keep it near a power outlet.

Pretty handy item if you manage to score it at the right price.

$21 from Big W on special
one gram to 2kg

DSC04428.JPG

Nice one pump.

I got mine from Big W last weekend for $25 and it looks the same as that but white.

Nice one pump.

I got mine from Big W last weekend for $25 and it looks the same as that but white.

yes Jye they were reduced from $28.99 so you still got a good deal

,I thought it was about time I measured grain and hops on something hat did not need tappingto give a reading and could give different readings . :)

Pumpy

I use a 2.25kg set of analog kitchen scales, Salter brand, cost about $15. I use a 1L jug but any bucket or jug on top will work. That is just for measuring grain bills since it will only do down to 25g increments. If i want smaller increments for grain (e.g. measuring roast/carafa malt for colour adjustments) or hops, i use a 100g digital scale that i got off ebay with 0.01g increments for $25 delivered.

Getting a scale that can measure hops at 1g or less is very good esp when using high alpha hops when 0.5g of them can sometimes equal an extra 1 IBU in the finished product.

I get by with a 500g scale I got from Big W for $6, the needle type. 5g increments and its nice and accurate.

Also, a cocaine-style twin-beam 10g scale I use for hops that measures to 0.02g :D

EDIT: If you need a calibration device, grab a $2 coin and clean it with hot soapy water and then dry. They weigh 6.6g.

Back