Which recycled bottles are ok for carbing?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philistine

Reaction score
Im sure this has been covered, but Im just wondering - what kind of bottles are suited for bottle carbing & condiitoning?
AS in, I know that most commercial beers are in bottles that shouldnt really be used for carbing up and some are ok for one or two times.
But would it be safe to assume that some are fine to use often?
Im guessing the 500ml tall amber bottles that german imports come in are pretty good - obviously there're a fair few of them that are bottle conditioned, but over there every brand of beer comes in those same bottles and they're washed and reused over and over again (their recycling setup blows me away) som Id imagine the glass is pretty strong.
Are any others worth saving after being emptied tho? (for multiple use)

I use pretty much all recycled bottles and I've only had one explosion. I think you'll be fine.

Yep. There all good.

Coopees are the only ones with a crown seal and are thicker.

The two main bottles that I use are the old Coopers and Cascade 375ml because they are almost the same height and can be put into slab boxes together. But Cascade have changed their bottles recently and they look a lot thinner than the old ones. Coopers have changed as well, they have become skinny like 330ml but still look.the goods.

If you want the best, Coopers 750ml are the toughest by far. After that the craft 330ml bottles always seem sturdy, you will just have to collect more to fill you batches. Like I said before, its handy to have the same size for storage in boxes.

if you are wondering about a particular bottle you can always weigh it to see how heavy it is.

going down a hill said:
Coopers have changed as well, they have become skinny like 330ml but still look.the goods.
Spoke to the local Coopers rep about the new skinny 375ml bottles.

The changed the height to suit the pallet shelving used by Woolworths owned outlets. They didnt want to, but Woolworths liquor are there biggest customer by far so they really had no choice.

Me, I go for attractively shaped bottles. So I end up with a variety of different looking bottles rather than all samey bottles.

Fancy brews I like to put in the green bottles.

Growler.JPG

^^^^ These are the only bottles I use these days... Feckin awesome..

Still getting through my +300 Longneck stocks from when I was using bottles though, probably down to the last 150 or so ;)

ed:... not really recycled though.. my bad

If the OP wants some assorted Longnecs and others, PM me, Ive got quite a few he can have for Nix.

Yob said:
attachicon.gif
Growler.JPG

^^^^ These are the only bottles I use these days... Feckin awesome..

Still getting through my +300 Longneck stocks from when I was using bottles though, probably down to the last 150 or so ;)

ed:... not really recycled though.. my bad

If the OP wants some assorted Longnecs and others, PM me, Ive got quite a few he can have for Nix.
Mind if I ask where you got those Yob?

Clean skin 330 ml green bottles from korea looks like first choice stopped selling. The beer not that great but the bottles look OK.

Coopers longnecks are the number one choice. I only ever used crown seals so anything that felt sturdy with a crown seal, I would keep and use. English ale bottles like youngs or sam smiths or fullers are good. Belgian trappist types are great if you want small bottles.

i used coopers 750ml. also and had some swingtop bottles..when i first started had some green baviarn stubbies...had 3 explode..

I promise not to post my shot of those 2L cola bottles.

Has anyone considered bottling and secondary fermenting/conditioning in those keg king stainless growlers?

You can often pick up the old pick-axe branded long necks through gumtree. These are as good as the coopers long necks.
There are also thick walled 660ml craft beer long necks about. Some are marked 'no refill' and have thinner glass but others look as tough as coopers.

Last but certainly not least; never forget sparkling wine bottles as a beer bottle.

Ducatiboy stu said:
Spoke to the local Coopers rep about the new skinny 375ml bottles.
The changed the height to suit the pallet shelving used by Woolworths owned outlets. They didnt want to, but Woolworths liquor are there biggest customer by far so they really had no choice.
Correct.

A little off topic but.......
I sent an email to Coopers a couple of weeks ago (fairly late on a Saturday night....) voicing my displeasure at the "newish" stubby shape.

Expected a bog standard email reply.

Didn't happen; got a phone call the Monday afternoon following. Faaaark me!

Took the time to explain the situation.

How good is that! ?

Customer service.......not completely dead.

Scott

Latest posts

Back