glass glass or plastic glass?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I reckon what kills re-usable bottles here is the distance beer travels.

I am certain that transporting heavy bottles farther costs more in fuel etc than the savings from re-using.

Theft said, there are now major breweries in almost all the major metros and craft breweries in a lot more places. If the bottles were common denominator surely re-use at destination will start factoring in?!

I was impressed by the German model of bottle re-use, you go to the local supermarket and there is a bottle collection machine, stick in the bottles and collect your coins.

Think even here in south aus you gotta go to special centres.

I think people are getting confused as the difference between reuse and recycle. Germany reuses bottles- they get used bottles, wash them with a shit load of caustic and acid, then fill with beer.

South Australia and Northern Territory recycle the glass, make new bottles with a mix of old and new glass.

Moving away from reusing bottles had nothing to do with freight and everything to do with the heap of chemicals and water required to wash the bottles correctly. SA went to recycling as a way to reduce waste in landfill (and because they couldn't get COAG to agree to a national agreement)

Back