Which pump to buy?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
QldKev said:
Chugger, March and Kaixin are magnetic drive, Ultimiser is not.

I can't comment on a comparison for the Ultimiser as I've not heard much about them.

Get a bulk buy happening and these Kaixin are only $30 each. Otherwise contact the seller he may be happy to put up a listing of qty 1 (but maybe at a slightly higher price)

http://www.aliexpress.com

Ali express is the low volume subsidiary of Alibaba, means you don't have to buy container loads.
I have bought a condenser and can of hop extract so far.

Those Kaixin pumps below

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/MP-15R-Magnetic-Pump/895321672.html

Haha someone needs to start a bulk buy.

On topic of the pumps I have gone from a LBP to a Hermit ultimiser and can only speak good things about it. It tears threw any grain that might be pulled threw from the mash so no need to worry about clogging. Also the switch on the top is handy.

keifer33 said:
Haha someone needs to start a bulk buy.

On topic of the pumps I have gone from a LBP to a Hermit ultimiser and can only speak good things about it. It tears threw any grain that might be pulled threw from the mash so no need to worry about clogging. Also the switch on the top is handy.
Is that the only real difference between it and say the chugger?

Is this the line for Kaixin pumps or are you all just lined up for the dunny? Ah stuff it, I'll join either way.

I wouldn't buy anything from aliexpress because if there is a problem they don't refund all your money. They will give you back about app.30% only if you receive the goods and they are faulty.

They say they will give you back 100% less taxes levied (yes they sometimes charge taxes and say they are charged by our gov. ******* bullshit! and will not refund this) but the onus is on you to prove the supplier received the goods back and you have to pay all postage costs.

Yes in my case I received faulty goods (damaged) and they found in my favour but only refunded $40US from $135US. It was going to cost me $98 to send the goods back and after what I went through I would not trust any of them. Wouln't be surprised if seller knowingly sent faulty goods.

Was that just one bad experience Nev ? I have never had a problem with either Alibaba or Aliexpress, was the goods you sent for from India or Indonesia, they are the 2 worst countries to deal with, just keep clear of those and some of the drop shippers with ridiculously cheap prices.

Keep us posted Djar, if the price is right I'd definitely be interested. :beerbang:

mikeybycrikey said:
I got one that looks exactly like this http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Non-Clogging-Sewage-Pump/896652789.html (I can confirm it doesn't clog, never tried recirculating sewage though) for $180 from LHBS bout 2 years ago. Never skipped a beat. Brew at least once a fortnight.

I use both a March 809 and a Kaixin mp-20 and neither have either clogged. If your pump is getting clogged in a brew I think you would need to review the false bottom design.

Yeah I don't know how your supposed to clog a March unless your trying to pump your mash through it? Mine has never come close to clogging and I get a bit of crap come through it occasionally when transferring the last dribbles of wort from the mash.

The idea of the magnetic drive is so you can throttle the flow right down without over taxing the motor.

Frothie said:
Yeah I don't know how your supposed to clog a March unless your trying to pump your mash through it? Mine has never come close to clogging and I get a bit of crap come through it occasionally when transferring the last dribbles of wort from the mash.

The idea of the magnetic drive is so you can throttle the flow right down without over taxing the motor.
But you can use it to recirculate the mash yeah?

I had a LBP when I was building/trialling my herms system, and thought that for $30 is was basically a throw away item. The pump only lasted a couple brews, but it did the job for me to learn on the fly without a huge $$$ outlay. When it failed I purchased a March from the US when the dollar was good, and dont regret it. The Kaixin pump wasnt recognised as a brewing pump at that stage, so I purchased what I knew to be a quality peice of equipment. Never had a problem with the pump in 2 years of brewing with it. It must have done well over 70 brews at between 20l to 60l batches. I also use it to pump my sparge water. Its a good bit of kit.
Cheers
LB

Simdop said:
But you can use it to recirculate the mash yeah?
Yeah but your only pumping the liquid, your false bottom or whatever your using should stop any major amounts of grain from circulating. Small amounts don't worry the March. I don't recirculate the mash but do use mine to vorlauf which is basically the same.

Back