Which Hop Is Responsible?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lobby Lobster

Reaction score
Greetings Lads,

I am tasting a Belgian Ale that is only 4 weeks old. It has a lot going for it except that it's too fragrant for my taste.

Why? Is it the Hersbrucker or the Cascade? I added tea bags of both, following the extra can instructions to the tee. Which should I drop next time?

I suspect that the aroma will die off (from what I've read on the forum) after a while, but it's important that I work this out.

I am not a fan at all of musky fragrant beer. Don't like it. Rubbish. When I see beers lauded and compared to Little Creatures, I cringe and couldn't think of anything worse.
Been following Neils Centrillo thread and I am confused because it certainly is popular (fragrant beer that is) and I'd love to give something a crack that is so universally getting blokes intoxicated with good reports, but I think I might be in the conservative camp when it comes to aroma.

Mmm, seems I am saying a few things here. In summary - where is the musk coming from - Hersbrucker or Cascade?

I should save my Amarillo questions (haven't tried it in fear) for Neills thread.

To my knowledge cascade is more citrusy rather than musky. I haven't played with Hersbrucker for a long time so I can't make a statement on that one.

Can you give some more information regarding ingredients for the brew, yeast used and temperature fermented at ? That may provide information that may help someone who is better at beer aroma than I am.

Greetings Lads,

I am tasting a Belgian Ale that is only 4 weeks old. It has a lot going for it except that it's too fragrant for my taste.

Why? Is it the Hersbrucker or the Cascade? I added tea bags of both, following the extra can instructions to the tee. Which should I drop next time?

I suspect that the aroma will die off (from what I've read on the forum) after a while, but it's important that I work this out.

I am not a fan at all of musky fragrant beer. Don't like it. Rubbish. When I see beers lauded and compared to Little Creatures, I cringe and couldn't think of anything worse.
Been following Neils Centrillo thread and I am confused because it certainly is popular (fragrant beer that is) and I'd love to give something a crack that is so universally getting blokes intoxicated with good reports, but I think I might be in the conservative camp when it comes to aroma.

Mmm, seems I am saying a few things here. In summary - where is the musk coming from - Hersbrucker or Cascade?

I should save my Amarillo questions (haven't tried it in fear) for Neills thread.

The 'muskiness' you describe is the Cascade. One of my favourite hops. I hadn't actually thought of musk in describing the aroma, but I'm sipping an extract pale ale which is all Cascade at the moment, and "musk' is definitely there.
The aroma will fade over time.

Definitely cascade. A mate gave me a pale that he dry hopped with a bunch for a short time, and it had a strong strawberry aroma to me rather than the expected citrus.

Perhaps switch cascade with chinook... man-hop

I am not a fan at all of musky fragrant beer. Don't like it. Rubbish.
Sounds to me like you should stick to noble-hop type varieties in the future, and especially avoid any hop names that start with 'C'. :)

Latest posts

Back