Which Hop For Which Job?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brooksy

Reaction score
I'm about to put down a Coopers Lager, but am a little perplexed as to which hops to use for this particular brew.
Currently got the same kit down using PoR but still too young to taste (3 daze).

Recipe will be:

Coopers Lager Kit (cheapie)
800gms - 1kg Dextrose (yet to decide)
250gms Light DME
100gms Corn Syrup
Yield: 23 litres.

Hops: Cluster and Super Alpha (Morgans hop bags). Have MB-89 and Fuggles available as well.

Kit wort will be boiled for 20 mins (water added of course) for cracking.

Question: Which hops should I boil and which should be dry hopped?

I think Super alpha is probably best suited to a lager (although I don't know anything about MB-89.

Do you mean the can of goo,what does cracking mean?

Yes. I put the can of wort into a boiler with about 10 litres of water and boil it up. This tip was picked up on this site...... This is called hard cracking.

I add the first hops with about 10 mins boil to go then the brew is cooled by partial immersion in icy cold water which reduces the temp quite quickly - cold cracking.

As I've read, this procedure boils off any volatiles present in the 'goo' and also forces any impure poteins to bond together and precipitate out of the wort, allowing for a crisper, better tasting product.

Boiling off the volatiles also removes the hop essences added during manufacture so they must be replaced with 'the real thing'.

Second dose of hops added to the fermenter at pitching.

I'm only new back to brewing after a 'SHMBO enforced layoff' so have been going mad reading this site thus re-educating myself.

Added: Thanxs Phonos. I have never used these hops so I don't know what they produce. :)

MB-89 hops are very light, but a good starting point for those starting out. Reliably informed that they have AA% 1.5 - 2.5

Keep in mind that those Morgans "Finishing Hops" are not intended to be boiled, and the teabag may burst open.
The varieties that you mentioned are not aroma varieties and are usually used for bittering only. God knows why Morgans markets them as "finishing hops". For a lager I would get yourself something noble, eg Hersbrucker, Tettnanger, Hallertau. They're much better suited to what you're proposing.

So why bother with the can of 'kit', is it that cheap at K-mart that it's cheaper than a can of unhopped extract that you can bitter yourself?

Anyway, I've been using Fuggles in my ales, tried in one lager last July and it turned into an intriguing tasty drop. We don't find Fuggles in lager much in Australia.

It's your brew, do what you want to it. You would have heard of Cascade lager, well I made a Cascade Ale. Somewhere in here is a hopsguide, super alpha are usually for bittering, Fuggles for aroma, clsuter for both.

It really won't matter what hops you put where, just make the result more interesting and different. That's what craft beer is all about. have fun learning.

Thanx Bock & Robbo.

Robbo - Where else can you get 1.7kg of malt (premixed) for about $10.00?

Malt extracts up here start at $10/kg. I haven't got the room for all grain, or even partial brewing (unfortunately) so I have to make do with space I have. Also, being a pensioner I must watch those pennies.

Next time I go to my LHBS I'll take your list with me Bock. Bulk hops aren't available to me, unless I buy online. Just trying to support my LHBS as much as I can (he's a nice bloke, though pretty ugly) before going further afield.

I wasn't sure about the Fuggles Robbo, from what I've read, they seem to partner dark ales rather than lagers. But you are so right with your last statement:
.......just make the result more interesting and different. That's what craft beer is all about. have fun learning.

Hope this sounds fair, I haven't had a beer today yet...

Latest posts

Back