which fridge?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ben-burd

Reaction score
Hi guys i have 4 fridges/freezers in use at my home which seems mad considering there is only two adults and 1 baby!!

Fridge 1 - Kitchen side by side - food use - needs to stay
Fridge 2 - Outdoor area small bar fridge - convenient and currently stores bottled homebrew ready for consuption
Fridge 3 - older 300l fridge (coils on rear) setup for fermenting with temp controller
Fridge 4 - 313lt fridge with top freezer - was previously not used but recently turned on due to starting to keg beer :beerbang:

as i have just started kegging i want to setup one of my fridges to be a dedicated kegerator. the kegs will not fit in the bar fridge so that rules that one out and it can be used only for parties etc.

I am thinking that i should keep using the older fridge (right hand fridge in pic) for fermenting and use the best fridge (left hand fridge in pic) for the kegerator as it will be used 100% of the time and should run the most efficient.

both fridges are about the same size and will fit 4 kegs in if you squeeze them in. I can also then use the freezer as well if i use the newer one for zooper doopers and yeast. -

next step is to upgrade from pluto gun to taps - any suggestions on what type/ brand taps and front mount vs side mount would be appreciated as well.

am i on the right track? just a bit hesitant to start cutting holes in a perfectly good fridge without a second opinion

Cheers

20141230_194453.jpg

I can't say much about fridge efficiency, but I would advise against side mounting taps unless you are 100% sure you can do so without destroying the fridge. I have a friend that killed a fridge trying to side mount. Long story short, he wasn't happy :).
I use perlick 525 ss taps. With proper maintenance they hold up well IMO.

Its funny because you say the house is for 2 adults and 1 child and it seems mad? Three of the fridges are used for your hobby! haha

You could knock one of the fridges off by storing your bottles in the kegging fridge? Just choose the one with suitable heights that you can add a shelf or two back in on top of the kegs and still use the freezer section for storage. Keep the other fridge on standby for those times you have to ferment more than 1 at a time?

Sounds like your bar fridge is a waste, why not store a few bottles in either your keg or food fridge?

Fwiw, I have 4 fridges, but one is a lagering/conditioning fridge and only comes on when I need to lager or condition something - maybe 30% of the time. Fermentation fridge is generally always on. And my Kegerator and household fridge/freezer are always on.

Front mount as there are often cooling lines in the sides. Even if you know there are none, front mount on the door makes the taps much more accessible for cleaning and maintenance

Taps are very much a personal preference dictated by budget. Maybe try to find some local Brewers with keg set ups that are willing to show you their setups? Seeing stuff in the flesh is way more instructive.

Back