Which Fridge For A Fermenter?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattric

Reaction score
Recently I have moved to a house where my 'brew room' is not the most stable when it comes to temp. I have brewed a batch of beer which has tasted quite wrong and I put this to not being able to keep the temp stable.

So having just purchased a Fridge mate I am in need of a frigde that can hold my coopers fermenter as my cirrent fridge is to small and a freezer I just bought off e-mail has the shelves wired into the fridge itself.

Can anyone please recommend me a brand/size and possibly model number of the ideal fridge/freezer for a primary fermenter?

I use a 140L bar fridge (the kind with the little freezer at the top inside). The diameter of the Coopers fermenters is a little large though so I bought a taller skinier 30L fermenter from one of the sponsors. Also ripped out the inside of the door (the bit that holds the eggs and milk) and fitted it with a piece of perspex which I have a heat pad fitted to. Sounds like a bit of work but was well worth the effort esp. as I have limited space to keep stuff....

sap.

Ebay search for a fridge only, no freezer.

Or this one fits any 30L fermenter as it has no freezer to get in the way. 324 bucks is bugger all when you think it will be more economical than a big old fridge and will last ages, often false economy using old fridges found on the side of the road.
I use this fridge for two kegs.
http://www.appliancesonline.com.au/130l-we...-wrm1300wc.aspx

021.jpg

Ebay search for a fridge only, no freezer.

Or this one fits any 30L fermenter as it has no freezer to get in the way. 324 bucks is bugger all when you think it will be more economical than a big old fridge and will last ages, often false economy using old fridges found on the side of the road.
I use this fridge for two kegs.
http://www.appliancesonline.com.au/130l-we...-wrm1300wc.aspx

Just measured fridge up, change that to most 30L fermenters

Just measured fridge up, change that to most 30L fermenters

Not very energy efficient with a 1 star rating. It is usually the compressor 'hump' that causes the problem when trying to fit fermenters inside. I use a Peltier Wine Fridge for my fermenter not sure how energy efficient they are either.

Energy efficiency shouldn't matter too much if you're brewing ales. The compressor won't be running flat out if the fridgemate is set to 18 degrees.
If you're lagering, crash chilling, different story.

Not very energy efficient with a 1 star rating.
+1
If you are going to buy a brand spanker, why buy 1star rating?
There's got to be a better option for around the same $ or maybe slightly dearer and a better rating...... surely.

One day it may be your lager fridge... or your keg fridge ...... so don't limit your future options.

+1
If you are going to buy a brand spanker, why buy 1star rating?
There's got to be a better option for around the same $ or maybe slightly dearer and a better rating...... surely.

One day it may be your lager fridge... or your keg fridge ...... so don't limit your future options.

Yup, good call. I have old fridges with crappy energy ratings for fermenting ales, they were practically free off ebay, but would want a reasonably good rating for lagering or kegging. I crash chill my ales in secondary with the old fridges but it's only for a few days once fermentation has finished.

i picked up an "all fridge" gorenge pacific with 5 star rating, for 60 bucks rusty as buggery and no oil painting but uses bugger all power when hooked up to the fridgemate.
usually sit it on 20 deg c
it fits 2 fermenters nicely but wish it fitted 4, trying to get my stocks up again. :icon_drunk:

Not many fridges with better than one star, there is a new rating, this was 4 star three months ago.

Also, ensure your comparing apples with apples, This is a one star(new rating) small fridge only, dont be thinking a three star big fridge freezer combo will be cheaper to run

Thanks for the replay all. I am still on my quest.

I purchased a call frezer on ebay which would have worked out fine except the shelves are part of the element of the freezer so I can't remove the shelves which is annoying but I'm only out of pocket $70

Latest posts

Back