Which Burner Should I Buy?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carboy

Reaction score
Hi,

The last thing I need for my AG rig is a burner. I've done some research but there seems to be pros and cons for what's availabe in todays market.

I'll be starting with single batches at first, then I'll move to doubles, and I expect that most of my boiling will be done in either the BBQ area or garage depending on the wind conditions.

I can purchase a four ring casr-iron burner for $84 locally, or other burners from AHB sponsors i.e. Rambo Burner, Mongolian 32 jet etc.

Can someone pleae point me in the right direction based on your practical experience/knowledge.

Thank you in advacne for any advice.

Cheers
Carboy :icon_cheers:

Get nasa burner man ... cheap and powerful. Very easy to mount in a brew stand and get easy to regulate once you get the hang of it. Will boil the shit out of a double batch.

People worry about it being. Its only loud when you have it full tilt whilst comming to the boil then you can turn it back.

http://www.beerbelly.com.au/burners.html

italian spiral is my suggestion. Bloody brillant :p

For my money again the Rambo and or the Italian Spiral both with med regs. The Rambo I have gets 60lts to the boil from a standing start in 20mins. I get about 8 to 9 brews per 9kg bottle. :)

NASA + HP adjustable Reg from Grain and Grape with a stand.

Screwy

Turkey fryer / NASA whatever you want to call it, coupled with adjustable high pressure reg.

I only say this because its what I have been using for the last couple of years. But I havent had any reason to consider upgrading it either.

Get avg 9 batches per 9kg bottle fill.

I went a Nasa, handles 60L no problems. Best value for money IMO.

;)

Go the NASA best brew dollars I ever spent. I tried a mongolian bloody waste of money soot everywhere bought the NASA never looked back now doing 80 litre batches no problem.
Cheers Altstart

I get about 8 to 9 brews per 9kg bottle. :)

And if you don't want to dick with lpg bottles, backup bottles, running out of gas on brewday, etc. hard plumb NG to your brewing area, grab a clip in bayonette and go the 23 or 32 jet Mongolian (already jetted to allow NG).

If you cost it out, NG is generally 1/10th the price of LPG with 100% convenience. Plenty of threads on the grunt of mongolian, too. Have a search ;) . I've done up to 70L batches with my 23 jet, no dramas. Big hard boil if I want it.. mostly pull the burner back to maybe 30% for proper rolling (or my evap is thru the roof).

reVox

And if you don't want to dick with lpg bottles, backup bottles, running out of gas on brewday, etc. hard plumb NG to your brewing area, grab a clip in bayonette and go the 23 or 32 jet Mongolian (already jetted to allow NG).
reVox

+1

With one qualification: 32 jet is overkill for single batches.

Stubbie

If you're wanting big grunt and fast boil and don't mind the noise - NASA or Rambo burners. Handy too for outdoor brewers as even with a bit of wind they do well without a shroud on them.

If you're wanting something quieter - Italian Spiral - I have one and they don't get there as fast, but they don't bother my neighbours either which was a consideration for me as I night brew and my shed is on a fenceline.

Heard of plenty of people trading in or getting rid of their mongolians (and upgrading to NASAs), as well as 3 and 4 ring burners (the sort you get at aussie disposal stores and chinese grocers). There seem to be good and bad mongolians and 3 & 4 rings about - the ones from brewstores seem to be better. The others you take your chances. Hooking a mongolian to a gas outlet will save you hassles of Swap'nGo trips to the servo as the guys above suggest, so they are good for that. You won't be able to do this with some of the other burner types.

As suggested a medium or high pressure regulator - particularly an adjustable one like those sold through beerbelly are handy for getting a stronger burn.

The immersion element is a good thing to consider but you need to know someone mechanically minded or get a portable 'wand' type that hang off the side of the pot. These can be hard to find, but do come up on ebay occasionally.

Cheers,

Hopper.

Nasa?
208465main_DJH_1805.jpg

Rambo?

rambo.jpg

Come on who kicks arse????

leave it to chappo to think of things logically ;)

btw, i haver a nasa and med press reg. no complaints here.

If you cost it out, NG is generally 1/10th the price of LPG with 100% convenience. Plenty of threads on the grunt of mongolian, too. Have a search ;) . I've done up to 70L batches with my 23 jet, no dramas. Big hard boil if I want it.. mostly pull the burner back to maybe 30% for proper rolling (or my evap is thru the roof).

reVox

Or just hook your italian spiral burner and med pressure reg up directly to a 45kg LPG where NG is not available. Lasts me a year+.

2 nasa burners here , and the only complaint I get is the daughter whinging about it @ 04:30 when I light the HLT... Brewery backs on to her room ,, lol ...

cheers

NASA

All the others are just girly burners

Batz

I have a 32jet mongolian burner with an adjustable reg. Total overkill really. I couldn't get a slow boil going so I've removed 16 of the jets and blocked the holes with bolts. In this configuration I have enough heating power to get it up to boil quickly, but I can also back it right off and conserve gas.

So unless you plan on doing 60L+ batches get a 23 jet mongolian if your going the mongolian way.

Fair dinkum my head's spinning trying to figure out which burner with all these posts - I think I'll flip a coin and trust I'll be happy either way

Latest posts

Back