Which Mongolian Burner Should I Buy?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barley Belly

Head Brewer - Barley Belly Brewery
Reaction score
Well I've tried a half a dozen places and I can't seem to find anyone stocking a 10 Jet Natural Gas Mongolian Burner :(

So

I'm toying with three options:-

1) Buy a 10 Jet LPG one and drill out the holes to suit NG

or

2) Buy a 23 Jet one set up for NG already and take half the jets out and block em up with blanking plugs

or

3) Buy both and use 10 of the jets out of the 23 for the 10

The pros and cons are:-

The 10 Jet is around $25 + delivery and the 23 Jet is around $45 +

I'm not that confident in being able to properly drill out the jets of the 10 Jet LPG one to the correct NG size (ie No lathe, although FIL has bench drill???)

Some feedback and or experiences would be greatly appreciated

What boil size are you planning? I have a 23-jet version on LPG and have blocked up all but four jets with brass bolts & nuts. I find that for 28.5L boils in a 50L stainless kettle I am still needing to throttle the ball-valve on the gas to control the boil to a vigorous (but not insane) level, and end up with approx 22L after the boil (23% evap). I'm yet to try a double batch with this system but have no doubt it would handle it easily. I say go for the 10-jet version unless you are planning to upscale to 100L batches.

Gabe

Just about to upgrade to a 50ltr keggle from my trusty old 35ltr Alu pot on my modified Natural Gas BBQ wok burner.

I did with my old system, 29ltr boils over 60mins, which would fill my cubes (approx 22ltr).

Seems like a Mongolian might be a bit of overkill. Might look at a different NG alterative.

"The 10 Jet is around $25 + delivery and the 23 Jet is around $45 +"

BB where is your source? This sounds like a great price!

Hirns

"The 10 Jet is around $25 + delivery and the 23 Jet is around $45 +"

BB where is your source? This sounds like a great price!

Hirns

Prices quoted from Auscrown yesterday.

www.auscrown.com

I didn't get a price but others have stated in other posts that Keefer Bros are cheap too.

www.keeferbros.com.au

I got a 32jet mongolian from www.keeferbros.com.au
Cost me $110 which got me the burner, steel pipe, ball valve, reg (low pressure) and stainless steel hose and delivery.

It brings 60L of water from 20 to 69 in about 15-20mins, which is awesome. I always overshoot my mash temp because i'm not quick enough getting back to the shed!

Talk to robert at keefer bros, he will sort it out for you.

I'm running the 20 jet Mongolian. I do mostly single 50L Keggle batches with it, and some 82L keggle batches. Also I am running a med pressure reg into it; to get more heat from it. I like to keep my brew day as short as possible.

I would go the 23 jet burner, It will save you time getting to the boil and you can throttle them back once you are boiling. Only downside once you throttle them back it will soot up the bottom of your pot. I don't mind it but some people don't like it.

Later if you want less power you can always change some jets to bolts. If you go the 10 jet and want more power, then it's time to buy another burner. Also have a chat to ekul, he is running the 32jet burner for the other end of the scale.

QldKev

Latest posts

Back