Blocked Jets On Mongolian Burner?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

egruz

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I finally got my 23jet Mongolian Burner (LPG) from GnG this week.

Fired it up today to test it out, and I noticed the the flames were pretty weak coming out of the jets, and also very yellow flame.
Now I've read up on the topic on AHB and see many people have had issues with yellow flames on low pressure regulators.

I went to fire it up again, turning my gas bottle up higher, and fully opening the valve to the burner - now the burner only fires up on about 5 out of the 23 jets. I remember reading something ages ago on the jets blocking up with the fine dust that's inside them upon first use - can anyone recommend a solution? Should I take the jets out and have a look? - as they appear to be glued into the cast-iron part of the burner..

Happy Good Friday,

Graham

Why not just wait till there open next and ask for a replacement? I don't think fiddling with it's a good idea incase you void any warranty the item has.

Hi Guys,

I finally got my 23jet Mongolian Burner (LPG) from GnG this week.

Fired it up today to test it out, and I noticed the the flames were pretty weak coming out of the jets, and also very yellow flame.
Now I've read up on the topic on AHB and see many people have had issues with yellow flames on low pressure regulators.

I went to fire it up again, turning my gas bottle up higher, and fully opening the valve to the burner - now the burner only fires up on about 5 out of the 23 jets. I remember reading something ages ago on the jets blocking up with the fine dust that's inside them upon first use - can anyone recommend a solution? Should I take the jets out and have a look? - as they appear to be glued into the cast-iron part of the burner..

Happy Good Friday,

Graham

i doubt they are blocked on a brand new burner,

they burn yellow when turned down low, and soot if too low

sometimes not all jets ignite without a pot on top

if you are blowing out jets perhaps pressure is too high,

the brass jets are threaded and screw in, i have had a few leaking ones and just use a little bit of gas tape and screw them back in, fixes the problem, but dont screw them in too tight, the threads are easily stripped

what regulator are you using ?

I'm using an old bbq regulator 2.8kPa -- 1.5Kg/hr

Hmm, the pressure couldn't be too high surely.. as it's a yellow weak flame. too low if anything i would think.

Is my reg sufficient to do the job? All research I've done has lead me to think that the this reg should be fine.

I'm using an old bbq regulator 2.8kPa -- 1.5Kg/hr

Hmm, the pressure couldn't be too high surely.. as it's a yellow weak flame. too low if anything i would think.

Is my reg sufficient to do the job? All research I've done has lead me to think that the this reg should be fine.

the regulator has the right pressure and flow rate, looks like its some other problem, any chance of taking a photo of it in action ?

I have had jets block but only after years of use and the soot, and mainly oild in the gas block the jets.

I get a small needle or single core from some cable and poke it in the hole to clear it.

Geve one that doesnt work a poke to see if its clear.

Ok, upon trying it out again this morning, all jets are working again.

Strangely enough, when i crank the gas to full, a lot of them do go out - I've got to have the valve open about at the 1/2 way mark to get all the burners on.

I'm going to test it out doing a boil tomorrow. Will post some pics of it in action afterwards.

Cheers Gents

Problem solved. It was the regulator.

Seems as though there was something wrong with the old regulator i had - it wasn't letting much gas through it.

Tested this out by turning on the gas with simply the reg and hose attached - couldn't hear much of a hiss.
Tried the same thing with another regulator, and i could hear a strong hiss.

A visit to Bunnings to get a new reg and hose, and the mongolian was up and running. Flames to 30cm high without a pot on it.

Moral of story - beware of old regulators & test for blockages if you're not getting much of a flame.

Back