Where's My Yeast?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WildaYeast

Reaction score
Hi folks,

Pitched my first liquid yeast last batch -- too cold and funny taste and odour.... Looking to re-pitch from slurry. I've put about 3-litres of well-mixed beer/trub/yeast slurry into a couple of jars and it's sat overnight in the fridge. Have attached a picture of what I've now got.

I'm guessing I want the top bit. I figure if I just skim/pour that off both jars and then top up with some water, I should be good, but hoping for some confirmation. Yeast I used was a WyYeast 1272 American Ale yeast. I did get some nice sort of cottage cheese clumps in the ferment, which I'm assuming were this yeast and not break material that I transferred from kettle.

Cheers, Brian

YeastSlurry.gif

Im pretty sure you want to use the stuff at the bottom the slurry the liquid will just be beer although it will have a small amount of yeast in it not enough to start a healty ferment. You can wash the trub will cooled boiled water to remove any stale beer or just pitch a cup or two of trub if its still quite new.

Use more for a larger as the cold will make it struggle to start off.

Hi folks,

Pitched my first liquid yeast last batch -- too cold and funny taste and odour.... Looking to re-pitch from slurry. I've put about 3-litres of well-mixed beer/trub/yeast slurry into a couple of jars and it's sat overnight in the fridge. Have attached a picture of what I've now got.

I'm guessing I want the top bit. I figure if I just skim/pour that off both jars and then top up with some water, I should be good, but hoping for some confirmation. Yeast I used was a WyYeast 1272 American Ale yeast. I did get some nice sort of cottage cheese clumps in the ferment, which I'm assuming were this yeast and not break material that I transferred from kettle.

Cheers, Brian
Seriously, I'd be examining the yeast and discarding if there is a funky flavour and/or smell.
Does the beer taste OK? If not, you have probably contaminated the yeast (and the beer) and will continue to contaminate any beer you pitch the yeast into, or pitch(?) wort onto.

Be prepared to start again if that is the case.

Beer is drinkable, but not pleasant. Odour is srong. Hard to describe, but I'd almost call it 'yeasty'. Fermentation was at about 16 degrees for a week or so. Some steady activity (~2 bubbles per minute). But when I checked SG, was about 1035. I let it warm up and it kicked off great and was done in 2 days. I think I stressed the yeast, and it is just by-products, not an infection.

I've poured the top bit from both jars into a new jar, discarded the middle bit and poured the bottom bit into two more jars, then diluted all three with water. Will see how the three settle out...

Beer is drinkable, but not pleasant. Odour is srong. Hard to describe, but I'd almost call it 'yeasty'. Fermentation was at about 16 degrees for a week or so. Some steady activity (~2 bubbles per minute). But when I checked SG, was about 1035. I let it warm up and it kicked off great and was done in 2 days. I think I stressed the yeast, and it is just by-products, not an infection.

I've poured the top bit from both jars into a new jar, discarded the middle bit and poured the bottom bit into two more jars, then diluted all three with water. Will see how the three settle out...

It could possibly be that there is nothing wrong with the beer at all and that what you are describing is actually the characteristics of 1272, which I had a fair few cracks a couple of years ago and in the end gave up and accepted that "I just don't like it"

Up front its quite fruity which is fantastic and I remember the delightful aroma from all the APA's I tried with it, but there was this "taste" that I just couldn't take right at the end making it a very dissagreeable experience that no matter what I did it was always there lurking at the end of each sip!

I was convinced it had to be something I was doing, but over many attempts and puchasing it on 3 different occasions I just gave up and quietly put it away into the "Its really not my bag baby" file <_< :)

Cheers,
BB

It's like the other American ale yeast. They both explode into fusels if left at high temp for longer than just a brief period.

fusels = headache.

Maybe it's fusels. Otherwise, you may just not like this yeast. I hated W1968 for years coz I didn't know how to brew with it.
Preferred temp range should be adhered to, unless seeking some deliberate deviation to the yeast's preferred metabolic pathways.

Many yeasts provide interesting effects at abnormal temps. Belgians do this well. Same yeast > three monasteries >.three truly unique beers.
Just a thought.

While we are on yeasts, I have read most threads but what do you all think for harvesting, before, during or after?

Back