Where to start ....

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

linny

Reaction score
Hey , just been to Bitter and Twisted beer festival in maitland NSW ,,,, I loved the morpeth stout and Murrays punch and judy .... i was wondering if someone that could link me a similar AG recipe to start the brewing journey ... not neccessarily after a exact copy but something in the ball park. :D more after the style

because at the moment with my skills i dont have the taste testing abiltiy to nut out a recipe. So far ive tried MHB fatyak style and i love it ... but i dont want to repeat beers yet , and want to try different things

Recipe database or Google for clones or style recipes. There are hundred s off recipes out there.

pickaxe

Well alot of reading today and asking questions with the brewers at work.... Im starting to understand the different styles and was pointed in the beer judging style guidelines . would punch and judy fall under Special/Best/Premium Bitter ?

Still super new at this.... so bear with me

Mild is what it was originally made as I'm sure
But I'm sure it's close enough to the bitter as well

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

can cascade be used as a bittering hop ? or would centenial be a better option ?

i dont quite understand the IBU , but when i made my fat yak it had a IBU of around 30, which i enjoyed so i was aiming at the same level

As you can see Im an amateur , apart from how to brew from john palmer can anyone recommend anything to read ??? its like 160 people have read this but only 2 people have given vague responses .....

Are you using any software to look at recipes? A lot of people use beer smith or a simple place to start is Ian's spreadsheet for BIAB which has a nice graph that shows you how close to style you are.

I am pretty early in my brewing journey but have only made a couple of beers with someone else's recipes. I started with a few single malt and single hops beers which came up a treat and gave me a good idea of what the grains and hops tasted like. From there I've made a few other beers with a more complex grain bill (but never more than 4) and played around with hops a bit.

All if these processes have made beer that my friends and I have enjoyed drinking and presumably it will improve over time too!

I also found using google to search the forum for specific topics generated better results than the sites search or most recent topics. Everything you want to know is out there if you have a dig around.

Hope this helps!

linny said:
As you can see Im an amateur , apart from how to brew from john palmer can anyone recommend anything to read ??? its like 160 people have read this but only 2 people have given vague responses .....
Designing Great beers by Ray Daniels (unfortunately in imperial units but a good rounded understanding of recipe design) and brewing classic styles by Zanaisheff and Palmer would help build your knowledge.

Also tasting as many commercial examples as you can, finding out where they slot into style ranges, then reading about the history/style development (BJCP is good start - don't rely on it for everything though).

Taste various malts as you crush them for your brew.
Brew known, tried and true/rated recipes and think about the ingredients in them when you drink the final product. Try the same recipe with a different yeast or hop and see how that affects things.
Taste ingredients raw as you are brewing - chew on a bit of malt, make a hop tea etc.
Break your recipe down into percentages of malt then mix up the same proportion of individual grains out of 100 (so 100 total grains in proportion to your grist). Mix well and taste to get an idea of the malt balance.

Mostly though just drink beer, think about the beer and how it was made and brew lots. Repeat cycle.

There's heaps of recipes in brew builder (MHB's website) to go through, they can have ingredients subbed and amounts adjusted for your batch size. Plus if you're already ordering from there it'll be pretty straight forward.

RelaxedBrewer said:
The info about the beer is on their website
http://www.murraysbrewingco.com.au/our_beers/our_beers_detail.php?Punch-Judy-s-17

They say it is a bitter style with NZ hops (Riwaka and Motueka).
So I would recommend finding a decent bitter recipe and copy the malt profile and mash temps.
Then sub the hops for the Nz ones. You are going to have to experiment with the hop combination.
I did see that thanks :)

manticle said:
Designing Great beers by Ray Daniels (unfortunately in imperial units but a good rounded understanding of recipe design) and brewing classic styles by Zanaisheff and Palmer would help build your knowledge.

Also tasting as many commercial examples as you can, finding out where they slot into style ranges, then reading about the history/style development (BJCP is good start - don't rely on it for everything though).

Taste various malts as you crush them for your brew.
Brew known, tried and true/rated recipes and think about the ingredients in them when you drink the final product. Try the same recipe with a different yeast or hop and see how that affects things.
Taste ingredients raw as you are brewing - chew on a bit of malt, make a hop tea etc.
Break your recipe down into percentages of malt then mix up the same proportion of individual grains out of 100 (so 100 total grains in proportion to your grist). Mix well and taste to get an idea of the malt balance.

Mostly though just drink beer, think about the beer and how it was made and brew lots. Repeat cycle.
THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU ,,,, this is exactly what im after. Im getting my hands on a copy of brewing classic styles by Zanaisheff and Palmer, so i have a good start

Judanero said:
There's heaps of recipes in brew builder (MHB's website) to go through, they can have ingredients subbed and amounts adjusted for your batch size. Plus if you're already ordering from there it'll be pretty straight forward.
Yeah I have ended up using one of his Bitter Ale recipe's and tweaking it to suit the style thats on their website, im from newcastle so MHB is great for me

what is your batch size, how do you do all grain, and do you have access to a few different malt types, hops and liquid yeasts?

Mate if you're 15 away from Mark's you'll be sorted for the recipes and ingredients.

When you're in there ask him what you've got queries on, he's ridiculously knowledgeable and if he's not flat out you'll get your answers plus generally a lot more info you didn't realise you needed to know ;)

Ed-nice neat setup you got!

Very cool setup. 23L-ish then?

Not a Punch and Judy, nor a stout, but try this:

4kg English Pale malt (Golden Promise?)
350g Medium Crystal (Thomas Fawcett)
75g Roast Barley (Thomas Fawcett)
350g demerara sugar

Mash at 67°C for about 90min
Mash out to 75°C for 20min
Sparge however you sparge for BIAB
Target SG of about 1050

30g Goldings at 60min (22-25IBU)
30g Goldings at 15min (10-12IBU)
30g Goldings at flameout
Target IBU of about 35

Wyeast 1469, 1098... - maybe a 1L starter?

Do you have a 30L fermenter?

... and asking questions with the brewers at work....

Wish I could say that!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Brewing Classic Styles by Palmer and Zainasheff is very good. Have a look at the sections on english bitters (eg, ordinary bitters) and mild ales.

Yeah have a couple of fermenter. . . I got my hands on the book today. So hopefully less questions. Can only talk so much at work because were supposed to be working lol

Radical brewing is another I've seen recommended in a few places, I've got it but havn't read it yet.... I'm new to this caper too and am about half down on how to brew.

Well ive just finished my third AG batch ,,, realised that my process was a little wrong , corrected that for the 3rd batch ,, but one problem i keep getting is efficiency .... i keep over shooting the projected 74% but about 8-10 points

Latest posts

Back