Where To Get Cheap Bottles?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Enerjex

Reaction score
Hi all, I want to buy some longneck bottles but their must be a cheaper place to buy them homebrew shops. I found a place nearby in Wantirna South melbourne who I'm waiting on an email reply from (Cospak). Has anyone else south east of melbourne found a good place to get longneck bottles in the 650-800ml range for a good price? I'm in the market for around 90 of them, or 84 if they come in groups of 28. Thankyou

Cospak is cheap, but you will have to order $100 minimum. If you go there in person for a stocked line, just tell them you didn't know about the 100 minimum, or pick up some more gear like fermenters/cubes or something like that to get you over the line.

When i enquired a while ago about getting some 330mL beer stubbies from Cospak it was about $16 a box of 52 stubbies.

I'm sure I can find a way to bump my order up to $100 DJR :) , and probably a bit more than I want to spend johnno. At the moment I just want a fleet of cheap bottles to keep enough brew rotating until I reach my goal of kegging.

I'm sure I can find a way to bump my order up to $100 DJR :) , and probably a bit more than I want to spend johnno. At the moment I just want a fleet of cheap bottles to keep enough brew rotating until I reach my goal of kegging.

hey mate in adelaide i just go to a bottle recycling depo you have to clean them yourself but they only cost ten cents each here. there not that hard to clean either

yeh im the same as you cadbury, hb shop tried to charge $16 for a dozen 640ml long necks. Mate got them for us from depot, 10 c a 750 ml longneck. And 30c grolsch swingtop!

that's a great idea, the frankston depot is just down the road and their site says they sell stuff there, might go down tomorrow and have a look.

hay animal man which dept do you get them from ive been paying to much by the looks of it around 30c and i dropped some finished product back to the baggers

cheapest place is reception centres etc. they just chuck em out.

johnno. i keep telling u $1 each isnt cheap. you can buy new 650ml for just under that and in a box from brewcraft (dirty word around here i know)....

i was nearby so i just went to cospak in wantirna south today. yes it was a $100 minimum spend i got 5x 28 bottle cases (650ml) brown crown seal glass bottles for $99.95, so not too bad for new bottles. 140 bottles, i'll be able to keep 5 whole batches in bottles at any given time now. sounds like a good winters brewing to me :)

I got 100 or so a while back from a recycle yard for about 10 cents a piece but they were pretty rank. 3 of us spent a whole day scrubbing them, removing cigarette butts, full live plants, syringes etc. (ok, maybe not syringes) I would definitely recommend buying new or sourcing some cheap ones second hand from another brewer.

Go to a pub and they'll have a glass bottle bin. Plenty of stubbies for free.

Get a new flare for your bottler and you can use the screw top wine bottles. Free again.

yeah, the whole "bottle MUST be crown seals" thing is a bit of a crock. I think once upon a time crown seal bottles would have tended to be the bottles that were mostly reused, and hence were made of thicker glass and screwtops were the thin single-use bottles. nowadays 99.9% of beers are in the thin single-use glass, crown seals or not

yeah, the whole "bottle MUST be crown seals" thing is a bit of a crock. I think once upon a time crown seal bottles would have tended to be the bottles that were mostly reused, and hence were made of thicker glass and screwtops were the thin single-use bottles. nowadays 99.9% of beers are in the thin single-use glass, crown seals or not

Pretty sure that all the XXXX crown seal tallies I have are thicker walled than the screw top variety that XXXX churn out nowadays. :)

:beer:

possible, we dont get any xxxx down this far, let alone tallies. if it is then it goes in the 0.1% with coopers long necks.

still pointless to buy the premium "imports" in their green glass "because they are crown seal" ;)

hey mate in adelaide i just go to a bottle recycling depo you have to clean them yourself but they only cost ten cents each here. there not that hard to clean either

Which depo is that do you know?
I rang up one and they said "oh no! couldn't possibly! you understand. "

Does anybody know any bottle recycling depots around the Werribee area.

Go to a pub and they'll have a glass bottle bin. Plenty of stubbies for free.

Get a new flare for your bottler and you can use the screw top wine bottles. Free again.

Did you mean twist off beer bottles, or actualy screw cap wine bottles??

We were talking about whether you could use them for beer in another thread. We came to the conclusion (without trying it mind you) that tehy probably wouldn't seal properly and that they would probably not handle the pressure.

Have you done it? How? How'd it go?

Thirsty

Does anybody know any bottle recycling depots around the Werribee area.

As far as I am aware Visy have taken over all the recyclng depots in Melbourne. You are not allowed on site and they do not sell anything to anyone.

I may be different if you know someone that works there.

Up until about 2 years ago there was an independant in Lilydale and he had everything. He has now retired. Or more likely bought out by Visy.

cheers
johnno

It may be slower process to get the numbers up and you can't afford to be fussy but do as I do. I ask people if they have some bottles to donate to a struggling young home brewer, whether it be family, friends, work mates or fellow brewers etc.

Don't be shy, it has only taken me about a month to get around 200 bottles mind you most of them came from a very generous fellow brewer (with a B.A.T.) who wanted to help someone starting out.

I suppose what made it easier for me was I was after stubbies

either that or try silverlocks they have the 640ml and minimum order is $50

Latest posts

Back