Where To Buy 5 Gallon (19 L) Glass Carboy?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Big Burper

Reaction score
Hello dere,

Anybody know where to buy a 5 gallon (19 L) glass carboy at a reasonable price?

ta
BB

I think CraftBrewer have them, but not on their site. I've seen them in store, not sure of price. Otherwise There is a place called the homebrew barn on the north side of Brisbane which stocks a variety of sizes at ok prices. :)

yeah pretty much every hbs i go into has them. I think theyre prices at about $75 upwards, i cant remember exactly i havent looked at em in years, but that number rings a bell. I think i paid about that for my 23L one.

Hi
I purchased a 25 ltr glass demi-john not long ago and it was about half the price of a 20 ltr glass carboy, I couldnt find any reason why it was cheaper other than looks and ive put down a brew in it and it worked fine...also having a lower centre of gravity makes demi-johns almost impossible to knock over and smash.

Unless you want it for a secondary vessel I would get a bigger one. I have 2 5-gallon ones and a 6- gallon one. The 6 gets used all the time. If it is full I will use a bucket before one of the fives. Just not enough room in a 5-gallon carboy for a full batch of AG beer.

The fives were common because that is what bottled water came in.

Grain and Grape sell them for $59. and the can provide shipping.

Hey Rack'EmUp, I've often wondered why homebrewers don't use glass winemaking jugs, like the one you've picked up. I've thought about it myself. Most come with plastic carrying/protective shells which seem a great idea (I use milk crates w/my 23L carboys).

reVox

I came across this website today, which has (straight sided) 5L glass demijohns for $15. I wouldn't know whether it can be used for beer brewing??

Cheers

Jesse

Depends on where you are, but my 25L Glass Demijohn with basket is $55.
Postage can be expencive, but I can look into it if you're not local.

I came across this website today, which has (straight sided) 5L glass demijohns for $15. I wouldn't know whether it can be used for beer brewing??

G&G in Melbourne have the jug shaped round ones for around $13. Looked at one today, but passed as I've got a toddler so figured the brew would just end up on the floor (along with the carboy)!

I guess you can brew in anything - it's the ingredients and process that makes the difference. Only issue is that you'll have to syphon the fermented brew out as there's no tap.

G&G in Melbourne have the jug shaped round ones for around $13. Looked at one today, but passed as I've got a toddler so figured the brew would just end up on the floor (along with the carboy)!

I guess you can brew in anything - it's the ingredients and process that makes the difference. Only issue is that you'll have to syphon the fermented brew out as there's no tap.

Hey Hopz, is that Grain & Grapes?

Back