Where oh where are the cubes?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chap

Reaction score
I've googled and had a look around the forum and found for no chill cubes you need HDPE cubes (number 2 in the recycle triangle) and I've seen a few comments that they can be bought for under $10 a piece, but I can't seem to find specifically where to buy them. I've had a look at bunnings online and they don't seem to have any. So...

Where does everyone buy their cubes and how much am I looking at (AUD) to buy them? The cheapest I can find on ebay is about $30 each and originally thought that might be a bit steep, but if thats the price then that's the price.

Also happy to be directed to any links which answer the above.

Cheers
Chap.

You can buy the good 20 litre ones at Craft Brewer empty for $17 from memory. Or you can buy their Fresh Wort Kits for about $49 and get a spare cube each time.

If you're confident in your cleaning skills you can always scout out the back of local restraunts and cafes. Usually have had detergent in them. I got real luck with a few 25L cubes I found had ethanol previously in them for cleaning/sanitising. However I'm real lucky down here in Melb as there's a brewer who has contacts with a biscuit factory and all my cubes previously contained golden syrup.

Bunnings have them. Blue jerry cans for water. Also kmart and anywhere that does outdoorish stuff.

Won't be $10 for 20L - closr to $1 per litre(ish)

Personally I usually just buy a fresh wort kit from craftbrewer when I need another. They're a good size ($21), and I get a lazy but good brew out of it

I like, for many reasons, the old school opaque ones with 2 lids... bunnings dont sell them anmore but I'd dearly love to find somewhere that does...

I saw this one in k-mart.23L

42332794-1-f.jpg
http://www.kmart.com.au/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?urlRequestType=Base&catalogId=10102&categoryId=&productId=865305&errorViewName=ProductDisplayErrorView&urlLangId=-1&langId=-1&top_category=&parent_category_rn=&storeId=10701

themonkeysback said:
The one linked is white rather than natural (which is the usual clear/opaque cube colour http://www.plasdene.com.au/shop-menu/industrial/plastic-7/cube/cube-pl-20ltr-441-nt-detail). These guys are where I got my last lot, minimum order of $100 and cubes are around 10 or 11bucks each.
Yeah, my mistake. these are the ones I use.
If you get the "dangerous goods" ones they are easier to clean as they are not drilled. Bung is supplied but entry is blank

http://www.plasdene.com.au/shop-menu/industrial/plastic-7/cube/cube-pl-20lt-649-nt-detail

For my regular 22L brews I use two 10L cubes from Bunnings. All cubes actually hold a bit more than stated after the sides get bowed out with hot wort.

The advantage of 10L cubes is that they cool a lot faster due to better surface area to volume ratio and are far easier to handle and pour from.

I have a couple of CraftBrewer 20L cubes but they only get a workout a few times a year.

Is it good for them to cool faster?
On the plus side, if you like to cram hops in then you can use more to get your target IBUs as it'll be over 80*c for less time.
On the negative side, less time above 80*c also means less Heat Sterilising Units being applied.
I s'pose it doesn't matter, there's probably plenty of high temperature time to self sterilize.

Don't stress, technobabble. I cube at about 90 degrees, lay on their side for 5 minutes to sanitise the lid and then straight into the swimming pool to get down to pitching temp asap. If your sanitation regime is good, you'll have no worries.

Latest posts

Back