Where do I get Stainless steel paint stirer for whirlpool

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a "stainless steel" paint stirrer from Bunnings. In this case it was very similar to a "stainless steel" shower caddy ie not stainless steel. Some kind of chrome plating. With my BIAB I find a gentle stir (no splashing) with a brewing spoon until you get a pretty good whirlpool happening and then put the lid on and let it sit for 10 or so. The lid is more important than the stirring I think. If you dont put the lid on the cool air above the wort gets the thermal current going and it will swirl the hot break around in the kettle. No amount of whirl pooling will fix that. I was pretty amazed the first time I saw it happen.

I made a whirlpool device out of a length of 1/2" ss pipe with a short cross piece welded to the end like a T. Fits in a variable speed drill chuck and can easily control the vigor of a whirlpool without aerating the wort. Gives me healthy trub cones everytime.

A simple T bar. 400 to 600mm long with a 100mm+ T. Made of 10mm Stainless rod.
Hardly sophisticated Ghetto style maybe. If you dont have a welder to make it yourself I'm sure the local steel shop will make one for a fair price.
It gets boil sanitized like the immersion chiller in my case.
May need a little throttle control technique etc...Variable speed trigger battery drills make it easy in my opinion.
Part of the fun.

Must admit, most of the time I like to push the limits and make a vortex so I can see the bottom of the 70l kettle, all the while grinning like an idiot.

Latest posts

Back