Where can I get thick walled, Belgian style bottles?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaywalkar

Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can buy the thick walled bottles that are designed to handle high carbonation pressures (such as the style used with Belgian beers)? I have been trying to find a place that supplies these in Australia but haven't had any luck and I want to be able to carbonate some beer at around 4.0 volumes without the fear of creating a bunch of beer grenades.

Cheer.

n87 said:
Dans :chug:
I knew someone would say that but I would prefer not to pay $80+ for 24 bottles. There would be plenty of good beer in them to drink but I have over 100L of beer at home right now, I don't need more!

Let me help you :drinks:

As far as new bottles, i have no idea, never bought new bottles

Only place I can find them is Plasdene but I would have to order a whole pallet. Anyone interested in a bulk buy?

I may be interested in a handful, price pending of course

Champagne bottles hold around 8 g/l or 6 volumes.

Dont know about sealing them though.

Crown seal, or you can grab corks and cages. You'll need tirage caps and a tirage bell for your capper.

If you want to go champagne bottles and are in Melbourne I have 4 doz identical ones that are top quality bottles, going for the big sale price of nothing. They've been triple rinsed and have labels that are dead easy to remove.

PS: Anyone in Melbourne who wants these can have them. I'll recycle them soon. Had them for a couple years now.

Mardoo said:
Crown seal, or you can grab corks and cages. You'll need tirage caps and a tirage bell for your capper.

If you want to go champagne bottles and are in Melbourne I have 4 doz identical ones that are top quality bottles, going for the big sale price of nothing. They've been triple rinsed and have labels that are dead easy to remove.
I'm in Sydney so unfortunately. Although will be in Melbourne for GABS in 2 weeks, but I don't think they'll fit in my carry on :unsure:

Heh. No, not really. Just friend up a bartender at a high-volume bar and you'll have a couple dozen bottles in a couple weeks.

Grain and Grape sell champagne bottles $15.95 for 10 but no shipping. They sell all the tirage gear as well, crown seals and the capper bells, plastic corks etc.

Oh man, I wish you piped up a week or two ago. I chucked 36 empty bottles of St. Stefanus, neatly in their boxes, in the recycling bin last weekend, after offering them to a bunch of friends and having the offer declined. Those would have been perfect and I'm in Sydney too. :(

Just my luck. Well my Belgian Dubbel was only brewed yesterday so I have at least 5 or 6 weeks before I need some. Maybe we can all collectively drink a few bottles over the coming weeks :)

Frothy1 said:
Champagne bottles hold around 8 g/l or 6 volumes.

Dont know about sealing them though.
You need a (larger-sized) tirage bell. Typically these just screw onto your existing capper.
You also need bigger caps (available from most LHBSs).

I really like the bigger caps, they give that extra little bit of space to write on top of the bottle.
Champagne bottles are quite robust too.

I'm following your topic with interest however I think I've made up my mind. I ideally want small champagne bottles but don't really want to buy them to only pour the champagne out. Full sized bottles aren't ideal for me as that's a hell of a lot of strong beer to drink in 1 sitting.

Don't make the mistake I made. I bought thick walled grolsch style swing tops and my Belgian tripel has lost most of its carbonation. It tastes like drinking a Belgian beer at pommy ale carbonation. Belgian beers really need the spritzy carbonic bite imo.

I've read about the dreaded swing top carbonation loss which is why I am after the crown sealed bottles. I am considering contacting somewhere like Belgian Beer Cafe and seeing if they can hold on to a stack of empties for me. Worst case scenario I might have to use the regular bottles and only carb to 3.2 volumes just to be safe.

The last couple of times ive had Asahi, i remember noting that the bottle was rather heavy.
Grab a single to check.
and at 45 a case, not as bad as the Belgian angle.
the beer aint half bad either.

I'd be scared to try that. I can't see why Asahi would invest the extra cost for think walled bottles if they weren't necessary. The last thing I'd want is 40L of Dubbel exploding all over my walls.

The other place to ask, would be a wedding/party venue of some kind....

I let friends know of my champagne bottling plans before christmas, that was good timing :kooi:

Haven't actually got round to brewing a Belgian yet though!

Latest posts

Back