Where Can I Get A German Stein With Lid

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have 3 steins.

All gifts. One is a Don Bradman commemorative, another I can't remember where it came from and the other is from the 3 U boot squadron in Kiel.

I've always admired the authentic steins, but have always wondered why they have a lid on them?

What is it like drinking out of them massive ceramic things? do you put them in the freezer like normal glass' to give the beer a nice head?

keeps beer colder otr good to keep flies and outher insects out of the beer ??????

I found a Cuckoo Clock shop in Berry on the South coast past Kiama that stocks a small range of German beer Steins .

Pumpy :)

The lid???

...more obvious when someone is stirring your beer with their pen!s?

*(quick edit to advise that I saw none of this caper on the recent pub crawl, nor any of the AHB pub crawls I attended)*

I've always admired the authentic steins, but have always wondered why they have a lid on them?

Beer gardens have lots of chestnut trees.
Chestnut trees have bugs.
Bugs like beer.

Lids keep bugs out of beer = more beer for me! :D

... And on the subject of big-arse steins....

Not the biggest one I could have gotten, (that was 5 litres!) but at 3L makes my little 500ml stein look tiny.

IMG_1653.JPG

Beer gardens have lots of chestnut trees.
Chestnut trees have bugs.
Bugs like beer.

Lids keep bugs out of beer = more beer for me! :D

Yeah, it is to keep the wasps (and other bugs ) out of your beer. I assume the lids are also helpful when the Kastanias (chestnuts) fall from the tree, and could possibly end up in your beer. Make sure to also wear a hat or something when there are falling, cause they can hurt you bad. They have these sharp outer shells, that could probably draw blood.

I like to think that the pointy lids can actually crack the chestnut's shell when it hits the lids of the beer, but they are not edible anyhow, so there is nothing you can do with them but look. The probability of a chestnut hitting the pointy top is pretty low anyway. :lol:

:beer:

wiki said:
The lid keeps beer from spilling; it is extremely helpful during song and celebration where it is common for Europeans (especially Germans) to swing their arms with beer in hand ("quaffing"). The lid started out as a sanitary measure. During the summers of the late 1400s, central Europe was repeatedly overwhelmed with swarms of flies. This soon led several principalities in what is now Germany to pass laws requiring food and beverage containers to be covered. By adding a hinged lid with a thumb lift on the lid within reach of the mug handle, it was possible to keep a beverage covered and yet open it with the same hand by which it was held.
Its from the wiki so take it with a grain of salt (Or a Stein of beer) :beerbang:

My nan gave me a stein when i was young, this thread urged me to find it and have a closer look. Its an Avon limited edition stein handmade in brazil (Or so it says) Its probably not worth the bubble wrap i have kept it in for all these years but it looks great and has a sentimental value. Pics coming soon!

This is my Stein. Saving the first drink for a special occasion.
IMG_4429.JPG

... And on the subject of big-arse steins....

Not the biggest one I could have gotten, (that was 5 litres!) but at 3L makes my little 500ml stein look tiny.

Nice!
I remember those massive steins at the Augustiner Biergarten in Salzburg years ago. Would've got one if it fit in my backpack!
Space is precious!

I must raid my parent's cupboards soon. I vaguely remember a small stein I used to enjoy having egg flips out of when I was a kid.
I don't think they'll miss it.

My sisters bought me this a few years ago while they were in germany. Its rather dusty but in a safe place. Amazingly they posted it back to me via seamail & it didnt break :)

img_4741_sml.jpg

edit - speelingz

Just found these on evilbay if anyone is interested, they seem rather cheap but don't know how much the postage is as you have to ask him. A couple of good looking ones there http://search.ebay.com.au/_W0QQfrtsZ50QQsassZbirdsnestQ21

link didn't work
and it still doesn't :angry: sorry. the handle is birdsnest!
that link is for the 2nd page, check the first one

i was at a B&S watching the circle work
circleute.jpg
and when i almost finished my beer, the bottom of the cup had a layer of mud down the bottom. I didn't notice the dirt flavour because I was drinking Worst End Dirt at the time.... and I was pissed.
Seems the dust sticks to the beer and sinks, so could have done with a lidded stein that day.

I put the word out to family members and within 6 months, I'd scored almost all of these for free :)
steins.jpg

i was at a B&S watching the circle work
View attachment 14237
and when i almost finished my beer, the bottom of the cup had a layer of mud down the bottom. I didn't notice the dirt flavour because I was drinking Worst End Dirt at the time.... and I was pissed.
Seems the dust sticks to the beer and sinks, so could have done with a lidded stein that day.

I put the word out to family members and within 6 months, I'd scored almost all of these for free :)
View attachment 14238

Thats the way to do Tangent

all my relations live in England :(

Pumpy :)

B&S ball hey.

been a while since i went to one of those.

screaming V8's doing butnouts on dirt, Rum served from plactic garbage bins, lots of people having a good time and the odd good fight (still got the scar)

one of the pics.... the one with someone in the background...... thats not food dye running down my chin. I dont remember too much but aparently there was 3 of us and 5 of them and we did OK :)

like i said... still got the scar :p

cheers and back to the subject :)

b_s_bliss_2.jpg

b_s_bliss_3.jpg

Back