When you just gotta make that Potato Soup APA!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moodgett

Reaction score
Hey all,

After a hiatus of not brewing for well over a year (have done mainly partial mash beers, plus AG in BIAB and on a Grainfather I used to own) , recently have gotten a new BIAB system to crack back into it :)

so first brewday on this system was yesterday.

Making a simpleish apa
23L batch
5kg Gladfields American Ale malt
250g Light Crystal
plenty of Citra
US-05

my pot is a 70L kettle from cheeky peak on a keg king burner, the biab bag is a mashmaster
mashing in for 67 degrees is all good, leave it for 40 mins of the hour, check it out, it has dropped to 62 degrees. think I will have to address the headspace when mashing a regular siza batch and get some better blankets.hoist the bag out for a bit and whack the heat on, turn off and put bag back in, i wrap it back up and leave for another 50 mins just to make sure all is good.

hoisting the bag up and start squeezing the bag whilst getting the wort to a boil, i noticed there were some fairly gluey bits of wort. anyways kept squeezing till nothing was left.

initially getting up to the boil surprised me as the temp gauge on the kettle didn't seem to get past 80 degrees, after the break formed ( which had a film covering it like skin on a cup of coffee then it was about a dozen times I almost had boil overs, kept it at bay stirring or spraying water.

the boil started going to normal, added hops as standard, wort looked and smelled great!

chilled down with an immersion ss chiller and transferred to FV.

i do recall the wort running kind of thick...

had in ferment fridge to drop down to 18 degrees, pitched yeast last night.

check this evening, no activity. opened it up, and this is what greets me...

Bmz3Lig.jpg

bear in mind, I stirred this thing, just to see what is going on, it is quite thick...

please help, I have never seen this before...

Attachments

• Potato soup ale.jpg
    Potato soup ale.jpg
    984.6 KB · Views: 104
never seen that before. Although it's not a very good photo. can you take some out and put it in a glass and take another photo? Looks like someone gave you unmalted wheat instead of ale malt?! It doesn't seem to have any amber/gold colour to it at all.

I will pour some out tonight
The best thing i can compare it to is really thin potato soup.

During the boil it had colour.

This is so strange...

As I responded earlier to the OP via a Clever Brewing support email, it looks most likely a dud thermometer & unconverted starch (the thermometer didn't register over 80C during the boil, so the mash never even hit conversion temp's).

Yep thanks to Martin for giving me the heads up. Tested and recalibrated kettle therm and it was all over the shop. Now fixed and mourning the loss :(

Back