When to toast?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuartf

Reaction score
I'm having a crack at an anzac ale type thing with toasted oats in the mash. I'm pretty happy I have the recipe down after searching various other threads but my question is when should I toast the oats? I'm doing some baking today and could chuck them in the oven now for brewing tomorrow or should the toasting be done just prior to mashing? My head says it shouldn't matter just like other specialty grains but something makes me think the aroma may disappear if I toast now and leave it overnight? Any ideas?

i would toast just before.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking but the efficient person trapped within me is saying "the oven is on now use it!"

Or toast now and seal in a snap lock bag, or vacuum seal if your worried. It shouldn't matter any more than pre milled grain.

haha. That's a shame. You may have got some extra yummy cake aroma to it..
Actually I just do it the night before so not to delay the mash schedule in the morning.

Chuck the oats on the charcoal BBQ next time you smoke some pulled beef/pork. Make sure you use a mustard rub, to give it that authentic ANZAC burning trench and mustard gas twist.

The porter you were considering making stuartf you could toast your amber and brown malts all at the same time, not all in the oven at the same time but while the oven is in use.

peteru said:
Chuck the oats on the charcoal BBQ next time you smoke some pulled beef/pork. Make sure you use a mustard rub, to give it that authentic ANZAC burning trench and mustard gas twist.
I had thought about putting in some empty shell cases to give it that gun powder tang, maybe next year

Latest posts

Back