When to get concerned that a brew has not begun fermenting...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robf23

Reaction score
Hi all,

have not brewed for a long time, so am starting back up again with a kit (Cooper's Sparkling Ale).

I put it down last night, and now 15 hours later it is not yet fermenting (ie. no bubbles in the air lock). This may be because I initially forgot to put the yeast in the brew, and did this maybe 12 hours after initially making the brew.

Is there cause for concern yet or should I just wait it out and see what happens?

Cheers!
Robert

Don't panic mate, up to 24hrs is quite normal. Any longer than 48 hours you may have a problem.

Edit: Just re-read it and saw the bit about not pitching the yeast for 12 hours, that could be a problem if wild yeast have started doing their thing. Just wait and see...

Mate just sit back for a bit. No need to stress yet. Give it another 48 hours at least. Just because there is a lack of air lock activity doesn't mean fermentation has not begun.

Cheers

Ideally the yeast should be pitched immediately, while the wort is well oxygenated, but you should be ok. That's assuming it's a fresh kit and not one that you had left over from previous brewing times.

Don't worry about the airlock, it's not a true indicator of brewing activity.

Ignore the airlock. Just because it's not bubbling doesn't mean there is no CO2 in there, might just not be sealed properly. But as it's only been a few hours since you pitched the yeast so I'd just kick back and wait.

What temp is it sitting at?

If you "put it down" 15 hours ago, then didn't pitch yeast for another 12 - that could be interpreted as having pitched 3 hours ago.... Even if it's actually 15 hours since you pitched, don't stress, it'll be fine.

When this brew finishes, throw away your airlock.

Next brew, take the rubber seal out of the lid, cover the top of the fermenter with gladwrap, and use the seal to secure it on.

It's easier, cleaner, safer, and best of all, you stop using the airlock as an indication of activity - a job it's worse than useless at.
- Just because it's not bubbling, doesn't mean it isn't fermenting - a small seal issue anywhere on the lid assembly might prevent it bubbling at all
- On the other end, just because it IS bubbling, doesn't mean it's STILL fermenting - the only way to be sure is by monitoring SG with a hydrometer (or refractometer etc.)

If there's one bit of advice that probably gets repeated more than anything else it's IGNORE THE AIRLOCK. Use the glad wrap method described by pyrosx, or use your lid and airlock and take no notice of it. Get a hydrometer if you haven't already, and use that to determine where the ferment is at.

Have you removed the kitten from the airlock?. Stops it bubbling every time.

I still don't get the kitten joke, even after reading it in half a dozen threads...

manson81 said:
I still don't get the kitten joke, even after reading it in half a dozen threads...
It goes back several years to a post by a member who has long since voluntarily surrendered his membership of this forum.
He got totally fed up with the constant posts by members asking about airlocks and lack of bubbling etc.
He proposed to track down the next questioner and strangle a kitten in front of their sister.
Hence the kitten / airlock reference.

But there must be another reference in there too. Like a Star Trek episode or what....

Thanks very much for the help and advice everyone, finally was some visual indication that fermenting had begun about 48 hours after I pitched the yeast. Will definitely use the glad wrap method next time. As I'm in Tassie and it's only just turned Spring the temperature is really low (about 15 celsius), but that just means it will taken quiet a bit longer to ferment right?

I'm in NZ, sounds like you have similar temperatures to what we get. I now have a brew fridge with a stc-1000, but to start with I just used a heat belt in the cooler weather, might be worth looking into something like that.

Latest posts

Back