When To Cold Condition?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
speedie,
for a start you didnt say lager you said beer.
as for two that are bottle conditioned lagers
potters bock, potters pilsner, murrays pilsner when it was in bottles.
i kind of remember a sediment layer in Schlenkerla.
hell just checked here http://www.schlenkerla.de/schlenkerla/karte/getraenkee.html
they are bottle conditioned as well. there goes that theory speedie.

as for bullying, just correcting the bad info given.
if you have a problem with me correcting your incorrect statements hit the report button, personally ive done nothing wrong atm.

still at it dont you blokes read anything ____________
read my post both of you stone throwing dumbwits
is this too much to ask
speedie :huh:

Quote "who has just finished his PhD on the effects of bottle conditioning in the production of craft lager beers at Udine University in Italy."

Quote 2 "Most importantly, Andrea will lead our bottling operation and bring a wealth of knowledge with regards to the extension of our bottle-refermented range."

Source

Please Speedie.. at least do a 'little' research... is this too much to ask?

To the OP, you have already botteled then just leave to let carb up and then CC for as long as you can, this will help drop any excess yeast still in suspension to the bottom of the bottle, pour carfully and dont let the last of the beer come out of the bottle.

Hope this helps.

[edit] damn... am I a bully now too? :blink:

I'm still a bit confused about this. In my original post I didn't make clear that I don't have a fridge that I can put my fermenter in. However I've just bought a new fridge for the kitchen and there's enough space in it for me to store about a dozen bottles in one of the shelves. I was thinking of using this for cold conditioning the bottles.

Once the batch is in the bottles and bulk primed does it matter whether the cold conditioning occurs before carbonation or after?

The benefits of cold conditioning will still occur if you chill in the bottle - haze proteins will start to drop out etc. However definitely carbonate first. Think about it - you want yeast to carbonate the beer but by chilling you are trying to drop out yeast and other material. Chilling first, carbonating afterwards is just doing everything backwards and potentially creating problems for yourself.

Bottle, carbonate, then stick bottles in the fridge for another 1 or 2 weeks.

I thought it was bad to rack to secondary straight after FG had been reached because diacetyl needs to be cleaned up by the yeast in suspension.... I had trouble with diacetyl then started to raise the temp toward the end of ferment then hold it around 4C higher than ferment temp for 3 days after FG, then chill. No more buttered popcorn for me!

I always leave my brews for at least 5 days after FG. If I do rack it's either for bulk priming or around 3/4 the way through active ferment. (although recent beers I've not done this to ascertain the difference).

G'day Brewers,

What about cold crashing in the primary to help clear a beer when adding finings?

Cheers and happy brewing,
Damo

mainstream lager worldwide is filtered pinpiont carbed then bottled
yeast free tunnel pasturised stablised etcised
that is why it gets a pu unit rating
selflife and useby date

mainstream lager worldwide is filtered pinpiont carbed then bottled
yeast free tunnel pasturised stablised etcised
that is why it gets a pu unit rating
selflife and useby date
speedie,
in case you havent noticed mate we arent talking about main steam lagers world wide.
once again you try to derail an active topic to suit yourself.

Nice striped shirt speedie.

gifted.gif

G'day Brewers,

What about cold crashing in the primary to help clear a beer when adding finings?

Damo

In the primary vessel sure but not during primary fermentation.

I like to crash beer down and fine while in primary vessel after it has finished fermenting, and then a few days extra to clean up. I have not been able to do this for a while because I have had another beer fermenting for a long time occupying half my ferment fridge, so don't want to crash chill that. I have noticed that it takes a while at serving temperature for the beer to clear up (I guess slower precipitation of proteins) and lose some of the rough edges ('green' beer flavours).

I've just started to cc my last 4 brews

Usually ferment for 2 to 3 weeks then cc at 2 c Im talking ales for 1,2,3 weeks depends when I can bottle

Very happy with the outcome except last APA when cc ing the tap has started to leak out the opening about 300mm so far

Have been spraying twice a day with sanitiser hope I dont get an infection, got to find the time to bottle, oh to have a keg,kegs.

G'day Brewers,

Thanks again for all your rapid responses. Very helpful indeed. Don't mind admitting my last few brews were a little under-carbed due to racking then fining then bulk priming. D'oh! :( Will correct the procedure during next brew.

Damo

Hope you don't mind me jumping in with a few questions myself.

I just scored myself a 20l cube and have a mate with a cool room in his shop that sits on 4C, is this cool enough to be of worth doing?

The said cool room is down the bottom of the hill, will the 2min car ride back home after a few weeks in the cool room undo all the good work?

And do I need to add finings or gelatine to the cube? I am not worried about clarity so I only want to do this if it improves the taste of the beer, which it sounds like it will.

Just trying to get it all straight and see if it's worth the effort, so the process for me would be:

Ferment brew to a stable final gravity as usual.
Instead of bottling, put it in the cube being careful not to aerate (I can purge the cube with CO2 prior to filling).
Let sit for a day or two before putting in the cool room.
Leave in the cool room at 4C for 2 weeks.
Lug back up the hill and let sit for a few days to return to ambient temperature.
Bottle from cube and then leave to carbonate as per usual.

And if I can get another cube I can use it to bulk prime before bottling.

Is there anything I'm missing?

Hope you don't mind me jumping in with a few questions myself.

I just scored myself a 20l cube and have a mate with a cool room in his shop that sits on 4C, is this cool enough to be of worth doing?
Yes

The said cool room is down the bottom of the hill, will the 2min car ride back home after a few weeks in the cool room undo all the good work?

Just be careful - maybe get someone to sit in the passenger seat, cube upright between the knees. Allow it to settle a bit when you get it home.

And do I need to add finings or gelatine to the cube? I am not worried about clarity so I only want to do this if it improves the taste of the beer, which it sounds like it will.

Need? No. You can - these will help yeast drop out and if you use Isinglass you may drop out some chill haze proteins as well. Chill haze doesn't affect flavour but yeast in suspension does. Personally I find a week or so in the fridge gives clear beer without finings.

Just trying to get it all straight and see if it's worth the effort, so the process for me would be:

Ferment brew to a stable final gravity as usual.
Instead of bottling, put it in the cube being careful not to aerate (I can purge the cube with CO2 prior to filling).
Let sit for a day or two before putting in the cool room.

Better to let it sit for a few days at ferment temps before racking to the cube. Contact with the yeast helps clean up a few flavours. Then place in cool room.

Lug back up the hill and let sit for a few days to return to ambient temperature.

No need to let it warm up.

Just scored a free fridge!!!!! I plan to use it for temperature control but firstly plan to use it for cold conditioning an ale. Could I get some opinions on whether I can cc in the primary fermenter for 2-3 weeks at as low temp as possible or is it best to rack to secondary after fermentation is finished? I am worried about the brew spending too long on the yeast cake. Thanks for your opinions.

i have never had problems with CCing/lagering in the primary fermenter. Dont worry about leaving it on the yeast cake, from experience it can spend a good couple of months without negative effect

edit: on the plus side the less you stuff around with transferring vessels the less chance of infection

The lower the temperature the longer you can leave it on the yeast cake with no ill effects

Latest posts

Back