When & How to start a Wyeast Smack Pack

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You've got it backwards mate. You don't need a starter with dry yeast, but you do with liquid yeast (most of the time). That whole "professional brewery pitching rate" line Wyeast spruik is bullcrap.

Also, don't put an airlock on your starter, that defeats the purpose, it needs to be oxygenated.

slash22000 said:
That whole "professional brewery pitching rate" line Wyeast spruik is bullcrap.
You just cant help yourself can you

slash22000 said:
You've got it backwards mate. You don't need a starter with dry yeast, but you do with liquid yeast (most of the time). That whole "professional brewery pitching rate" line Wyeast spruik is bullcrap.

Also, don't put an airlock on your starter, that defeats the purpose, it needs to be oxygenated.
Thanks for the info, why would they lie.......

Oh Christ, I forgot.

Disregard previous comment, pitch whatever you want whenever you want.

I use a soft drink bottle for starters, I leave it sitting next to the fan outlet on my laptop to keep warm and give it a swirl every now and then, it seems to work pretty well. When it comes to pitching the starter though, does anyone wait till the slurry has settled out and decant off the liquid? I think Palmer says that's the best way to do it, but I'm never organised enough to make a starter that far in advance. I always end up chucking the whole lot in while it's still at high krausen.

As long as your starter is neutral then not a prob. High krausen is the best time to pitch

For your first time using a liquid yeast Blitzer it's best to keep it simple. Follow Ross' advice if the pack is recent and has been stored well. If you're not sure about it's viability allow an extra day or more and keep some dry yeast for backup if it fails to swell. Be sure to sanitise the pack and scissors and mix the contents well before you pitch.
Sure you could do a starter but for your first time the KISS principle works fine. No point chancing infection or yeast stress by adding steps you're not prepared for and ruining a batch. In between brews try building up some test starters with the dregs of a coopers or two. There's a few guides around on this. Taste the starters and gain some confidence in what tastes fine and what doesn't. My first CPA starter turned a nice ESB kit into a glass of cloves and would have been tossed if I'd tasted the starter first. This put me off liquids for a while till I had the confidence to try again.

We could start another thread about the merits of starters, quantities of yeast and SG of starter wort or we could just answer Blitzer's question. ;)

Camo6 said:
We could start another thread about the merits of starters, quantities of yeast and SG of starter wort or we could just answer Blitzer's question. ;)
I vote the latter

Ducatiboy stu said:
I vote the latter
This has been an interesting read. Makes me realise there are debates within debates that I have missed.
Nothing is ever simple is it? :p

surly said:
This has been an interesting read. Makes me realise there are debates within debates that I have missed.
Nothing is ever simple is it? :p
Depends if you believe Carlton Draught adds I spose...

cd.jpg

If its new yeast then smack it an pour the lot in

If its a bit old make a starter, if you cant then just use it anyway. Your wort will ferment but you want to get the yeast working as efficient as possible.

They didnt actually say why a high sg starter was better...apart from speed....and it needed oxygenating.....and not to go to big

There are fore & against for both big & small gravity starters.

Going to stop now because this will derail the thread and turn into a shit fight.

Things only turn into a shitfight when no explanation as to why a particular thing is done is given.

Yeah, I will smack it tomorrow no starter for me this time. But if this brew turns out I will probably brew it a second time in 3 weeks or so and try a starter then. Thanks.

A great way to get a starter is to draw off 500ml-1ltr at high krausen thru the tap. Put it in the fridge to stop it. Ideally you want to draw your starter off at about sg1020. You can then split or warm up and direct pitch into your next beer.

Back