Wheat Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

.DJ.

Reaction score
If I was brewing an extract brew using Amber and Light Malt, Goldings/Willamette/Fuggles hops and ACCIDENTLY used a wheat yeast (K-97), as opposed to something like S04.... will the beer be crap??

:rolleyes:

If I was brewing an extract brew using Amber and Light Malt, Goldings/Willamette/Fuggles hops and ACCIDENTLY used a wheat yeast (K-97), as opposed to something like S04.... will the beer be crap??

:rolleyes:

That 'wheat yeast' K-97 is really nothing of the sort. It is marketed deceptively to imply that you can use it to produce Weizen-style beers with it. It is in fact a fairly neutral German ale yeast. As such your beer probably won't be too far off what you were expecting. Now if you had pitched a real 'wheat' yeast, like a WB-06...that could be really interesting.

cheer Geoffi..

I thought the fruity flavours a wheat yeast gives wouldnt work with the english style hops...

Hopefully this wont be too bad.. Oh well, put it down to experience!

Stolen from here : http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...;showarticle=20

Safale Wheat K97 Ale yeast of continental origin, low esters, low flocculation, dryish finish. Fermentation temperature greatly affects the character of beer produced with yeast. Warmer temperatures, ~26-27C, are needed to produce classic banana and clove aromas, lower tempertures can be used to brew Alt style beers.

Ifbyou still have cocerns about this brew, please feel free to send the keg down to me for 'correct' disposal! :chug:

Cheers

Jim

Yeah, keep the temperatures down. I was told to use is in a Kolsh a while ago, and was then called to work the week in the country. When I got back the temp was at about 25. Dont do that, I ended up chucking it out cos it tasted like a bitter banana smoothie. Havent used it since though.

sweet.. will try and keep as low as I can...

lets hope it ends up ok...

everyone can stop worrying.. the yeast was dead so it didnt take off.. threw some S04 in there instead..

don't worry mate, you wouldn't be the first one that has experienced the K-97 lack of starting, I refuse to use it for that exact reason

Back