Wheat Malt Not Dissolving In Initial Mix

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_purple_dragon

Reaction score
Greetings,

I'm using wheat malt for the first time and it doesn't seem to be dissolving into the wort. Should it fully dissolve?

Cheers

It will dissolve.

Next time you're better off putting it in a pot (dry or liquid) with the boiling water you add to your fermenter and stirring over heat to dissolve.

Greetings,

I'm using wheat malt for the first time and it doesn't seem to be dissolving into the wort. Should it fully dissolve?

Cheers
I remember that the wheat DME (I assume that's the problem) dissolves better in cold water, and clumps when the water is warm/hot.

LME dissolves better in hotter water.

Always take the water off the heat (if any) when dissolving and stirring, to avoid scorching.

I usually get clumps when I try to dissolve the DME in boiling water and after stirring for 10 minutes, they do get dissolved but it becomes very foamy.

Exact same thing happened to me when I first used Wheat DME. Clumped up like honeycomb.

I just kept stiring until most of the larger chunks had disolved then left it. Turned out ok.

2nd time I used it I put it in a pot and added 1.5L of hot water and brought to the boil. Made the lumps disolve fairly quickly.

Also, add the water to the malt not the malt to the water, otherwise the steam makes it stick to the bag. Another mistake I made on the first attempt!

I too have had a clumping problem. I did a toucan and had large clumps. They all dissolved eventally. However, I wonder the large clumps affected the OG. aFTER ADDING ANOTHER 1KG OF ldm I was expecting about 1070 but was only 1055.

Now I don't know if my toucan is 5.5% or actally more like a 7.5%.

Any thoughts?

Back