Wheat Critique Please

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slurpdog

Reaction score
Hi all

Currently have a kit wheat on the go and would like some feedback on my recipe/process as I'm new to wheat and not very familiar with the style.
Recipe is:

1 x Coopers Brewmaster Wheat kit
1 x 1.5 kg Coopers wheat extract
30gms of Czech Saaz hop pellets
Wyeast 3944 liquid yeast.

Boiled the wheat extract for 30 mins.
Added 15gms of Saaz at 15 mins
Added 15gms of Saaz at flameout.
Added kit at flameout.

I've currently got the mix cooling down in a cold water bath and would like some advice/feedback on the recipe.
I was going to top the whole mix up to 23 litres but am open on the total volume. Any thoughts?

Also what sould I be aiming for as a ferment temp range? I have a temp controlled fridge so I can ferment at any temp (Although there is a porter in there at the moment fermenting at 18-20 deg). Would this temp pose a problem for the 3944 yeast?

I wanted to keep the recipe basic as I'm more interested in what characteristics this yeast is going to throw.

yeast will work 16-24 deg. Looks like a nice recipe! Next time you do a wheat, try the morgans kit. Ive tried both, the morgans produced a much nicer beer.

yeast will work 16-24 deg. Looks like a nice recipe! Next time you do a wheat, try the morgans kit. Ive tried both, the morgans produced a much nicer beer.

Going to the LHBS today and will grab a Morgans kit as suggested A'man.
The recipe above drank great.
Very smooth and a nice hint of banana on the nose.
The missus rates it so it must've been good. She almost cried when the keg ran out but.........I bottled the extra and she doesn't know about those. ;)

I'm wondering if you are trying to create a Belgian or German wheat beer.

The W3944 yeast works well with honey and/or spices, but can become too phenolic and Belgian-y above 18 C.

I know that it would involve buying another yeast pack, but please consider a true Weizen yeast or blend, such as W3056 or W3068.

One of my best extract recipes used about 30g of Saaz for a 60 min boil, with 1.5 kg of wheat LME and 1.5 kg of plain (malt) LME, and W3056. No flavour hops or late addition hopping. Scored a Second prize for me first time I put it in a comp. Have been awarded further prizes based on a DME version of the same recipe.

You might want to keep it in mind when Summer is looming, or when you have some spare cash for another yeast strain. Or perhaps a kind local yeast rancher might culture a Weizen strain for you to try.

Happy to reply to pm regarding the recipe, but it's as simple as shown above.

BTW, your recipe looks quite tasty and you obviously found that to be the case.

As for total volume, you could dilute to 15 litres for a mid-strength brew without loss of too much character thanks to your hopping regime.

Hope I've been helpful.

Oh, and I just remembered (before I finish this post)... I tried just about all the wheat beer kits that were on the market at the time, when I got my W3056 yeast, and there wasn't a lot between them. However, that was back in the days before I was a champion brewer :lol: , with BJCP training and experience tastebuds.

Beerz
Seth the Gose-faced Killer (...bad pun/pop kulture reference)

I'm wondering if you are trying to create a Belgian or German wheat beer.

The W3944 yeast works well with honey and/or spices, but can become too phenolic and Belgian-y above 18 C.

I know that it would involve buying another yeast pack, but please consider a true Weizen yeast or blend, such as W3056 or W3068.

One of my best extract recipes used about 30g of Saaz for a 60 min boil, with 1.5 kg of wheat LME and 1.5 kg of plain (malt) LME, and W3056. No flavour hops or late addition hopping. Scored a Second prize for me first time I put it in a comp. Have been awarded further prizes based on a DME version of the same recipe.

You might want to keep it in mind when Summer is looming, or when you have some spare cash for another yeast strain. Or perhaps a kind local yeast rancher might culture a Weizen strain for you to try.

Happy to reply to pm regarding the recipe, but it's as simple as shown above.

BTW, your recipe looks quite tasty and you obviously found that to be the case.

As for total volume, you could dilute to 15 litres for a mid-strength brew without loss of too much character thanks to your hopping regime.

Hope I've been helpful.

Oh, and I just remembered (before I finish this post)... I tried just about all the wheat beer kits that were on the market at the time, when I got my W3056 yeast, and there wasn't a lot between them. However, that was back in the days before I was a champion brewer :lol: , with BJCP training and experience tastebuds.

Beerz
Seth the Gose-faced Killer (...bad pun/pop kulture reference)

Thanks for that Seth.
What a simple recipe!!!!

I have to admit I don't try to brew to a specific style as I don't enter comps. I merely try to consistantly make beer that is nice to drink.

I've got the K&K technique down pat and am now moving into liquid yeasts and grain additions and seeing their effects on the finished product. It's very eye opening, and a lot of fun.

I've got another WY3944 stepping up ATM and have 2 beers to choose from to try it in:

Another K&K with some Saaz additions, or a Hefweizen FWK.

I was thinking of splitting the starter and pitching it into both.

Any comments?

Yeah, looks like a really good recipe. Personally I'd just use an ale yeast for it because I don't like the bizarre sour flavours and fruity, clovey aromas that come from using more traditional yeasts in German style wheat beers. Other than that though it looks like you've got a real winner brew there.

Back