Wheat beer Yeast help

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chookers said:
thanks Kaiserben, if that calculator is reliable then I'm all good.

Probably even slightly under (to be within guidelines for this style).

well I'm glad I made the mistake then, or it would have been even less. :D

bottles are getting quite firm. Only bottled them on Sunday.

Sounds normal. It's just a mini ferment; a lot of action for the first few days, then slows right down for the rest until it finally finishes fermenting.

I couldn't wait, and had to try it.. I'm not going to give a description yet.. I am terrible at describing things but I will get a bottle of Weihenstephan Hefe Weissbier so I can compare..

My issue with this beer is its cloudy, supposedly that is how these beers are unless they are Krystal type. But the cloudiness is putting people off trying it, and it tastes not too bad. I'm sure it will be heaps better by next Sunday, as it isn't fully carbed yet.. I was just impatient to try it.

Hey chokers, they are cloudy, it's protein haze from the wheat and some from the yeast. It took mine about 10 days after bottling to lose the green flavour, so make sure you leave it a little before comparing.

Ok Reman, I'll give it to the end of the month.. then I will do the comparison.

I know it's hard, but sample along the way and you'll notice when it goes from a little harsh and grainy to smooth and malty.

it is hard.. and I expected it to be a failure the whole time.

I have been getting great advice on this topic from you and the others (which has been right, all the way through) and I have seen this beer changing, so I am becoming more optimistic about it.

I'm itching for it to be ready... I need something to do in the mean time.. I should brew something else while I wait...is this how you get addicted to Homebrew?

Exactly how you get addicted.
Next thing you know you will have 8 kegs, 10 fermenters, 2 fridges and 4 5L demijons of Mead and cider.

lol Mick.. so true..

I actually started by doing mead, I already have 5 x 5L swing top demijohns.. now Honey is too expensive and I have packed them away. :(

Ok so here is my side by side with Weihenstephaner
I took photos, but I have no idea how to attach them

1. Well the smell of the Weihenstephaner is corny and yeasty, Mine had a more fruity smell and no corn aroma at all I couldn't smell any yeast either.
  2. The Weihenstephaner was although cloudy was clearer, the colour of both was the same, but Mine was a bit more cloudy.
  3. To me the Weihenstephaner had a more savoury flavour, also tasted more yeasty. Mine tasted a bit more tangy, and though not sweet, it seemed sweeter and with a cleaner flavour, more fruity but no banana, also Mine was less bitter.
  4. Carbonation of both seemed pretty close.
Of course I liked my own one better, so did my other taste testers.

It sounds like your tasting a very old bottle of Weihenstephaner. Corn odors generally mean DMS, which I doubt you'll find in a Weihenstephaner. I wonder if there might be some mild autolysis, or particular esters that are being interpreted as corn.

Yeah - any wheat beer that's been imported is well past its best. They're even more past their best if they haven't been kept in a fridge (or, even worse, been out the back of a warehouse in the sun).

Not so sure about that, I had a schofferhofer a few weeks ago which was absolutely sensational!

Wheat beers will hold up over time much, much better than a hoppy beer, and bottle conditioned beers often hold up better than filtered beers. Is there a date on the bottle? I pretty much avoid buying commercial beer bottles unless I'm pretty certain that the bottle is fresh (if it's needed for the style). That is one of the great things about sour beers, they actually improve with age.

The date on the bottle says 30/11/16 17:14, I bought it from Dan Murphys in out of the fridge, brought it home and put it straight in my fridge. I also bought a bottle of Franziskaner Hefe Weissbier, I suppose I better do a side by side with that bottle too.

Perhaps I picked up a bad bottle of the Weihenstephaner?

Is there a good Aussie version of this beer I can compare it too, I just wanted to make sure I was in the realm of flavour I'm supposed to be in with this style.

Could try moo brew hefeweizen but should also be able to find fresher, better kept versions of schoferhoffer, erdinger, weihenstephaner or franziskaner.

heres a photo

wheaty.JPG

Latest posts

Back