Wheat Beer Yeast Explosion

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark.farrell1

Reaction score
Hi all

I came home and went to check on my home brew and saw that it looks like the yeast has exploded out of the air lock and is all over the top of my lid, is this ok and is my brew still good? I put the brew on yesterday and did nothing different than i normally do.

Any sugestions

Cheers

Mark

This happened to me with the last brew a few weeks ago, I replaced the air lock for a clean one (very quickly) as the airlock was actually blocked by the crud. I kegged the beer yesterday and the hydro sample tasted OK. Hang in there, might be alright. Did you fill the fermenter up too much? push the air lock in too far?

MD

Wheat beers usually have a high krausen whilst fermenting. How much headspace was in the fermenter and what was the temp when you added the yeast? If it won't stop coming out the airlock, attach a blowoff tube.

It's unlikely that the beer has been damaged, but I'd taste it before bottling just to be sure. I guess its possible that wild yeast/bacteria helped the batch get off to such a start.

The krausen in my current batch (also a wheat) is taking up most of the headspace in my fermenter (about 4L worth) at 16-17C.

- Phil

wheat beers can do this, I wouldn't worry about it, I have had happen on my wheat beer., they ferment quite quickly.

Back