Wheat Beer Kits

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerbeergloriousbeer

Reaction score
Hey all,
Just wondering what different peoples opinions where on some of the available kits out there. Eg different flavours.
I have done the ESB kit and the Muntons kit (both really good) and just wondering what others to try.
I understand there are different results from different yeasts but that put aside. ???????
:D

Havent brew for 3 years but just starting up again. Use to go for the beermakers wheat over the coopers pretty good kit for the wheat I recon with the wyeast whenstephen yeast touch of sarz hops maybe haletauers thrown in at the start ??? only an ameture though

I think with kits you get what you pay for. The Coopers kits are generally OK, but the better kits which you pay a bit more for in my opinion give you a much better finished beer. Go with the best you can afford is what I rekon.Long as the costs of your brew generally don't go over the cost of one case of the commercial mega swill then your always ahead.

See if you can get your hands on a Country Brewer wheat concentrate, or their 'Summer Wheat' WetPak - great things those are, and unbeatable for the money if you're going kits. Avoid Brewiser like the plague :D

EDIT: The Wheat WetPak may be seasonal...not too sure. Also check out hbkitreviews.com for some opinions on different kits.

My mate's standard brew when he comes around to use my equipment is a Morgans Wheat with 500g dextrose, 500g dry malt.

Next time we're gonna try some coriander seed and orange peel without going the whole hog and using a wit yeast.

I have not tried the Country Brewer Wheat or Wheat wetpak. The wet packs are not seasonal, they sell them all year round. But I find their kits and stuff pretty good. Never had a beer that was ba from them. Actually doing my second Southbern Lager wetpak at the moment. Did one last October and served it out at Christmas day. It was a winner.

i like bilo kits, they makes a good ber, briglow is for special beers

whats a wetpak it sounds rude

I've used the Coopers kit twice now. Only just bottled the 2nd one.

I just added 1kg Wheat DME & used Safbrew WB-06 in the first. fermented at about 24C. Turned out nice with banana notes & nice creamy head. Was drinking this one 2 weeks after putting it down.

2nd one I did the same but added 500grms Leatherwood Honey. Don't know how it will go, the honey gave it a different taste kinda like sasparilla??? but I think it's just the type of honey??

I was going to try other brands but I figured if you by Cooper's ur supporting an Aussie company and keeping the $$ here.

A WetPak is a box kit made up by the Country Brewer, contains malt, hops, specialty grain and good yeast. Good value for money as well.

And trust me, cheapo-brand kits are pretty dodgy...same for Brigalow. Check out hbkitreviews.com to find whats working for people...or just go Coopers/Morgans/Muntons/Black Rock/ESB.

I've used the ESB one a couple of times and the Morgans(?) wheat beer kit. The ESB's turned out alright and the Morgans was a bit meh, but I used K-97 in that.

I find a good yeast helps more than anything. WLP 300 or something similiar works a charm.
I've also found the result seems more authentic with the addition of straight wheat malt extract. Gives it the right amount of body and flavour with the a good yeast.

I've used the Coopers kit twice now. Only just bottled the 2nd one.

I just added 1kg Wheat DME & used Safbrew WB-06 in the first. fermented at about 24C. Turned out nice with banana notes & nice creamy head. Was drinking this one 2 weeks after putting it down.

2nd one I did the same but added 500grms Leatherwood Honey. Don't know how it will go, the honey gave it a different taste kinda like sasparilla??? but I think it's just the type of honey??

I was going to try other brands but I figured if you by Cooper's ur supporting an Aussie company and keeping the $$ here.

They sure do make a better beer then any kit beer. Wetpaks take a bit more effort to make, but the results are well worth it. I love the comments that BiLo and Brigalow kits make good beer. I suppose when you don't know any better, it doesn't matter. :D

Try the Blackrock Whispering Wheat.
With 1kg Unhopped wheat spray malt.
3 Mashed cavendish bannanas in a hop bag.
Bring to boil.
Simmer for 15 mins.
Throw lot inc. hop bag into fermenter.
Top up to 20.5 lt.
Ferment with WB-06.
14 days at 19 deg.
Keg and enjoy.

Cheers FROGMAN.....

My mate's standard brew when he comes around to use my equipment is a Morgans Wheat with 500g dextrose, 500g dry malt.

Next time we're gonna try some coriander seed and orange peel without going the whole hog and using a wit yeast.

My LHBS sold a Morgans Wheat with a similar mix of dry ingredients, he was also kind enough to swap the included yeast for some WB-06. From what I've read one of the most important bits in brewing a wheat beer is using the right yeast, a lot of the flavour comes from that. So I'd recommend getting the appropriate yeast as well.

my favourite beer so far was a muntons wheatbeer, using original yeast, 500gm dry wheat spraymalt, 2tbls orange peel, 15gm crushed corriander seeds, 12gm tettnanger hops(boiled for 15min) and 700gm dextrose or liquid malt................bloody good it was.
We tried this with a blackrock kit as well but it didn't turn out as good.

Sorry guys. Been overseas for 3 weeks and been away from the net.
I have done the ESB twice which comes in a larger tin with all the liquid malt included. Both times used WhiteLabs WPL300. The second time I added 500mls of hot water soaked in fresh cracked wheat grain. I actually think the first one i did was better just plain without the water. It was brewed slightly higher and seemed to have more Bannana/Bubblegum flavours. I have done the Muntons twice but with WB06 yeast instead. The first time was a failure due to the tin being caramelized but the second was pretty good. I used a spray wheat malt/dextros mix. It seems to turn out with a bit more of a malty flavour which i don't really enjoy in a wheat beer but still pretty good.
I think i might try the country brewer wetpak and also throw down Frogmans recipe. It sounds pretty good.
Thanks for the replies i will let you know how they turn out.... :chug:

Might have a go at an all extract wheat beer soon.

did a kit wheat beer once, using k-97 (before wb-06 and danstar wheat were available). was so-so

then i did an all extract hopped to about 15ibu with tettnang, but that got infected :(

got a packet of danstar wheat yeast, so might try something with it soon.

Hey OKM39A, Definately worth trying the White Labs WPL300 yeast. If it's worth doing it's worth doing well. Seems to give the best overall result.
I also recomend the ESB Bavarian Wheat. Best result so far????
Let me know what you try?????
Cheers

bout 2 brew a brewcraft belgian ale with #66 wheat kit... 8g's of saaz and some hersbrucker... dont have heat pad so gonna use a lager yeast for cold temps... but what lager yeast ?

Back