Wheat Beer Error. Wrong malt extract used...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dibby33

Reaction score
Code:
Made an error last night.  Just when I thought I was getting the hang of it!  Some of the local lads might have heard me cursing...  
I was on the final step really and was adding in the liquid wheat extract.  I happened to glance at the tin that I was pouring in 
and it occured to me that light extract is spelt differntly from wheat extract.  I was at the point of no return at that point having 
already poured in 1.5L and the other tin was opened.  

My question is :  Is this going to make a HUGE difference, or will I just end up with a "Light Wheat Beer".
- or any suggestions on how to make it "wheatier"  lol.  Live and learn, learn.

The following is the original recipe : 

BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Witsup?
Brewer: 
Asst Brewer: 
Style: Witbier
TYPE: Partial Mash
Taste: (30.0) 

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 10.86 l
Post Boil Volume: 10.03 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 l   
Bottling Volume: 20.05 l
Estimated OG: 1.059 SG
Estimated Color: 14.9 EBC
Estimated IBU: 20.8 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 72.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         
18.00 l               Edinburg, Scotland                       Water         1        -             
0.50 kg               Pale Malt (2 Row) US (3.9 EBC)           Grain         2        11.1 %        
0.50 kg               Wheat Malt, Bel (3.9 EBC)                Grain         3        11.1 %        
0.50 kg               Wheat, Torrified (3.3 EBC)               Grain         4        11.1 %        
8.00 g                Hallertauer [4.80 %] - Boil 60.0 min     Hop           5        5.5 IBUs      
8.00 g                Northern Brewer [8.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop           6        9.8 IBUs      
8.00 g                Hallertauer [4.80 %] - Boil 10.0 min     Hop           7        2.0 IBUs      
8.00 g                Northern Brewer [8.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop           8        3.5 IBUs      
40.00 g               Orange Peel, Sweet (Boil 5.0 mins)       Spice         9        -             
20.00 g               Coriander Seed (Boil 5.0 mins)           Spice         10       -             
1.0 pkg               Safbrew Wheat (DCL/Fermentis #WB-06) [50 Yeast         11       -             
3.00 kg               Wheat Liquid Extract (15.8 EBC)          Extract       12       66.7 %        --  LIGHT EXTRACT USED

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out
Total Grain Weight: 4.50 kg
----------------------------
Name              Description                             Step Temperat Step Time     
Mash In           Add 3.91 l of water at 73.7 C           65.6 C        75 min        

Sparge: Fly sparge with 8.45 l water at 75.6 C
Notes:
------

Created with BeerSmith 2 - http://www.beersmith.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:unsure: If I add in 3 litres of Wheat Extract now it will take it to 9.2%. ...temping :party:

I stand to be corrected however I am led to believe most wheat extract cans only have about 30% actual wheat extract with the rest being light malt extract.
Having a fair amount of wheat in your grain bill and using WB06 yeast I doubt you will notice much of a difference at all- perhaps a shade or 2 darker.
I would leave it alone and see how it turns out- it should still be a good beer.

Cheers mate,
I think you are right. I am leaving as is. Need to learn to relax a little!
I am sure it will be the best beer I have ever made :)

Droopy Brew said:
I stand to be corrected however I am led to believe most wheat extract cans only have about 30% actual wheat extract with the rest being light malt extract.
Having a fair amount of wheat in your grain bill and using WB06 yeast I doubt you will notice much of a difference at all- perhaps a shade or 2 darker.
I would leave it alone and see how it turns out- it should still be a good beer.
You're in the ballpark, but it's more like 60/40 wheat/barley, sometimes even 65/35 (such as CBW Bavarian Wheat).

It will be interesting to know how this comes out, given wheat beers are so yeast-dominated when it comes to flavour, I've always wondered how an all-barley beer fermented with wheat beer yeast would turn out. Given you've got 1kg of wheat in there, I reckon it'll turn out just fine. Let us know.

Ok - the judge is in. I will use wheat extract next time. Lacking the taste that I was expecting. I did not think that it was going to make that much of a difference. Oh well, best drink it up whilst brewing the next batches :chug:

Still tasted quite wheaty though, I have to give the yeast some credit. Just needed a bit of a hand....

Latest posts

Back