What's Your Oldest Bit Of Kit?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd say my barrel fermenter (now used for storing starsan) and my Coopers plastic spoon, which has somehow survived this long- though I don't really use it any more. Both are 8 years old.

My Dad used to brew a few kits back in the late-ish 80s. My first fermenter was inherited from him and I still use it. Have to be very careful with the tap as the thread is worn but otherwise OK.

I also have a funnel from him that he used in that time and a hammer capper that I thought I'd lost in the garden. Don't use the hammer capper any more.

From that time I still have a few CUB crown sealing bottles (also from him) and some of them have the labels me and my brother made for him for his birthday (looking very dishevelled now but damn that glue is good).

Kangaal draught and kangaal lager (kangaal is a word in one of the aboriginal dialects for bee. No idea which dialect/language group)

Dring & Fage "Improved Saccharometer" circa 1850's. Measures in pounds of extract per beer barrel (there's a conversion for that).

saccharometer.jpg

Dring & Page "Improved Saccharometer" circa 1850's. Measures in pounds of extract per beer barrel (there's a conversion for that).

What a beautiful piece of history.

I thought my 35-40 year old keg fridge had some legs.
Cheers, John.

Dring & Fage "Improved Saccharometer" circa 1850's. Measures in pounds of extract per beer barrel (there's a conversion for that).

That's a fantastic looking piece of gear.

Please excuse my ignorance but what is it for? I would love to know...

Edit: Aha, that's what it does..Google is my friend!

Measures sugar concentration??

Floats just like a hydrometer.

Nice bit of kit there Kai. I'd hate to see the sample jar you use for it though. Would make bottling day easy if you took 3 samples per batch (OG, FG & FG confirmation).

You win Kai :)

Great piece of kit, it belongs in a beer museum.

That's just beautiful

This is my oldest bit of kit, it's almost as old as me :)

I inherited this from my Grandfather. He obviously didn't do big beers, as it only reads up to 1050.

It was purchased in 1969 for the princely sum of $1.73

View attachment 42190

So what is your oldest bit of kit?

Me! I started brewing 37 years ago. After that, probably bottles that I've had for about 27 years - good old BBC's.

Maybe me...but then again I have a fermenting fridge that looks like its from the Ark so probably that. Nice new paint job made it look nicer though. Have a "new" (only 24 years old) freezer to ferment in at my old mans place that will probably take its place at the end of the year.

Bates Saccharometer circa 1900. When I bought it I did intend to use it but.......
Just part of my collection now, mainly Sikes' Hydrometers from late 19th C

bates.jpg

As a not quite yet conservator and as someone who works with old cultural artefacts on a daily basis I'd like to say yum. I inferred from what you wrote that you now have a collection of similar items?

As a not quite yet conservator and as someone who works with old cultural artefacts on a daily basis I'd like to say yum. I inferred from what you wrote that you now have a collection of similar items?

Sikes' Hydrometers, Marine Hydrometers, one for measuring the density of tar and a strange one that came from a garage in Gympie for measuring the density of fuels. Also Hydrometer tables of various ages and editions. Still trying to get my hands on a set of spirit bubbles (little glass floats used 18th c to early 19th c)

Back