Whats Your Bitterness?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tender, Tough, Tender

Quick cook (flash fry, deep fry etc) - tender
Longer cook (fried too long etc) - tough
Long and slow (braised etc) - tender

for a unique mediterranean flavour, fresh (not frozen) calamari and octopus can be simmered in red wine for half an hour then let cool and remove from the wine

then dip in a marinade of olive oil, oregano and lemon juice and bbq on coals for a few minutes, then redip in the marinade and serve with ouzo or your favourite beer

twice cooked is not just for the masterchef followers, its the wog way of doing things too

for a unique mediterranean flavour, fresh (not frozen) calamari and octopus can be simmered in red wine for half an hour then let cool and remove from the wine

then dip in a marinade of olive oil, oregano and lemon juice and bbq on coals for a few minutes, then redip in the marinade and serve with ouzo or your favourite beer

twice cooked is not just for the masterchef followers, its the wog way of doing things too

:icon_drool2: mmmmmmm, I am soooo gunna have to try this. Those western oriental gentlemen really know their stuff!

Hey everyone,
Id like to pose the question....what IBU's do you prefer and what Hops do you prefer to use to get these IBU's?
I have found that if you stray too far on the bitter side for a recipe, then it can be good, or bad.
But too little bitterness can be pretty shit as well.
Different hop styles seem to give varying levels of smoothness to the Bittering additions I have noticed.
Just want to pick everyones brain as to their favorites.

I like 'sites', as per below, to receive information/opinion re hops I may wish to try.

http://homebrewandbeer.com/hops.html
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/101/hops.php
http://byo.com/resources/hops

:)

Another calamri tip:

Marinate them in kiwifruit juice for at least 20 minuntes before cooking them. If you cant find / dont have kiwifruit juice, you can also just get a couple of ripe kiwifruits and mash them up with a fork and then mix it in a bowl with the calanari rings.

I prefer 18-25 IBU in the majority of my pale ales.

But it's a personal taste thing. One of the best brewers in my club who I enjoy drinking his ale type beers consistently makes his in the 28IBU bracket and that's about where I'd sit too.

I've made great Belgium beers around 9-11IBU. Being more bitter doesn't always equal better. But with some styles you find that yeast and malt takes over and does its thing on the flavour (Wheat/Weizen beers are a good example on that).

That said plenty of folks in my club consistently brew 60-70IBU hop monsters and have fun doing that - but I'm more frugal when it comes to popping hops in the boil. (I think those guys are slightly mad - or simply grow more hops than they know what to do with maybe).

Occasionally I'll head high where the recipe or style needs it like on an IPA but for something sessionable you can hand to a non-brewer that doesn't taste too green or need dulling down later with some serious cellar-time that's my zone.

Disclaimer here: I chill with a cube - so I probably get more IBU/isometrisation as a result of this technique anyhow (another long technical conversation).

Hopper.

Another calamri tip:

Marinate them in kiwifruit juice for at least 20 minuntes before cooking them. If you cant find / dont have kiwifruit juice, you can also just get a couple of ripe kiwifruits and mash them up with a fork and then mix it in a bowl with the calanari rings.

is there something in the kiwifruit that reacts to soften texture ? or is it strictly a flavour thing ?

is there something in the kiwifruit that reacts to soften texture ? or is it strictly a flavour thing ?

ok, just read this from wikipedia

Capture.JPG

hmm.. *checks google*

"Have you ever cooked calamari only to find it's chewy or cooked a steak that ends up with the texture of an old boot? Geoff Jansz has a great tip from mother nature that will turn the less tender cuts into melt in your mouth delights. Use kiwi fruit or paw paw which both contain an enzyme which tenderises meat, seafood, poultry or any protein. Peel and slice the kiwi fruit or paw paw and place the fruit and peel over the meat or calamari, cover with cling wrap on a plate and put it in the fridge. Leave it for two to six hours depending on how tender you want the meat and remember to remove the fruit before cooking it.

Warning: This method really does work. If left for too long (24 hours) the kiwi fruit would turn the calamari to mush."

Well there you go :)

Back to the OP... I think that a lot of the answers assume that OP is brewing to style. I like a lot of up front hop flavour, like Potter's Pale Ale. The fruity flavours compliment the malty sweetness and are balanced by the bitterness. If you brew to style, then follow the BJCP Style Guide for bitterness profiles. If you brew to your taste buds, then follow what you find to be delicious.

hmm.. *checks google*

Well there you go :)

I hate pawpaw, kiwi fruit sounds like a better option. The citrusy sharpness of a kiwi fruit that is not fully ripe would be rather complimentary.

Also look at which hop you are bittering with. Super Alpha is a great clean overall bittering hop, Magnum is awesome for an APA but sometimes I use POR for an Aussie twist, Challenger is my first choice for an English Ale but EKG and Fuggles are both great too.

QldKev
Thanks Kev,

You are the second person to actually name a hop you like for bitterness additions.

Cheers for your input.
I do find POR and super alpha to be quite harshwhen I have used them at 60 mins but i think some of the other guys have answered why for me by talking about adding hops for bittering to coincide with the OG of the wort.
And Im only going off my taste.
Its interesting I think that high and low alpha hop balance does seem to be quite a challenge to get right.

Obviously depends on the style, but my APAs which I tend to brew most of, sit around low 30's with most bittering in the final 20 minutes.
IPAs and AIPAs in the high 40's to 50's with most hops/IBUs in the final 30 minutes.
I have also done a couple of pseudo lagers with everything at 40minutes and they are really good in warm weather.

I also try and stay clear of high alpha hops with high cohumulone - the bittering tends to be a bit 'rough' to me.

Thanks Kev,

You are the second person to actually name a hop you like for bitterness additions.

My rule is to only ever use a hop that I'm happy to taste. Even bittering hops contribute to flavour in my experience so I won't often use higher aa% bittering hops, no matter how clean they reportedly are, just to save a few dollars. I will use them where their flavour and any other character might be appropriate.

Therefore German type beers get nobles as do belgians (which also often get styrians) UKs get fuggles, challenger and ekg (and styrians) with the occasional bit of first gold or target but less often.

APAs will get higher aa hops like chinook if I want a bit of pine resin in there but I've done some that are all cascade too. Chinook (or other piney hop) will still appear later. Same as when I've used centennial or less often citra and simcoe.

Aussie beers might get a small PoR addition at 60 only (or a split of cluster and PoR) and I can guarantee there is a flavour contribution.

Sour/funked beers closer to 20

Bitterness range for me depends entirely on the beer I'm brewing and what's in the grist. I've brewed everything from 15-17 IBU hefes to APA type things around 60. I'm not a super 'let's chuck loads of hops at things kind of guy though so I haven't tried to push much beyond 60. I have plans for a UK barley wine that might push further but age will also mellow that considerably.

Any hop I'm happy to taste in the final beer, I'm happy to use for bittering.

Bitterness levels for most of my brewing:

Tripels 35 - 40
ESB 35 - 50
APA 40 -60
Porter and stout 25 - 30
Saison and similar 30-40
Darker belgian 25-30

German lager 25 -35

All calculated by software, tinseth method, no actual testing (so might be bollocks) and made with non-adjusted no-chill.

Style dependent of course but i enjoy IBU's around the 35 mark in general, a little more for malty beers, a little less for lighter styles, porters and stouts. More about balance for me.
Enjoy my hops, but certainly not a hop head.

Another calamri tip:

:icon_offtopic:
Son is apprentice chef. He says for calamari - pan fry in dry pan ... no oil. Heaps of salt and pepper - make sure pan is nearly smoking before chucking them in, should only take a minute or two ... that's it.
Disclaimer : all care no responsibility ....
Cheers
BBB

My rule is to only ever use a hop that I'm happy to taste. Even bittering hops contribute to flavour in my experience so I won't often use higher aa% bittering hops, no matter how clean they reportedly are, just to save a few dollars. I will use them where their flavour and any other character might be appropriate.

Therefore German type beers get nobles as do belgians (which also often get styrians) UKs get fuggles, challenger and ekg (and styrians) with the occasional bit of first gold or target but less often.

APAs will get higher aa hops like chinook if I want a bit of pine resin in there but I've done some that are all cascade too. Chinook (or other piney hop) will still appear later. Same as when I've used centennial or less often citra and simcoe.

Aussie beers might get a small PoR addition at 60 only (or a split of cluster and PoR) and I can guarantee there is a flavour contribution.

Sour/funked beers closer to 20

Bitterness range for me depends entirely on the beer I'm brewing and what's in the grist. I've brewed everything from 15-17 IBU hefes to APA type things around 60. I'm not a super 'let's chuck loads of hops at things kind of guy though so I haven't tried to push much beyond 60. I have plans for a UK barley wine that might push further but age will also mellow that considerably.

Any hop I'm happy to taste in the final beer, I'm happy to use for bittering.

Bitterness levels for most of my brewing:

Tripels 35 - 40
ESB 35 - 50
APA 40 -60
Porter and stout 25 - 30
Saison and similar 30-40
Darker belgian 25-30

German lager 25 -35

All calculated by software, tinseth method, no actual testing (so might be bollocks) and made with non-adjusted no-chill.
Thats pretty comprehensive Manticle :lol:

Where did you acquire your hop thief from colonel? Id love to try some of that but haven't seen it anywhere yet?
My local pub's got it on tap at the moment (Central Vic)
We're pretty lucky like that, he always has something interesting on tap.

Hops are cheap, and I love them
I mostly brew APA's and AIPA's, to (around) 40 and 70 IBU's respectively.
I think it was NickJD who said he brews to the upper range of the style guidelines. Thats me too pretty much.
I do my stouts lower, as there is plenty of bitterness from the black roasted barley in them.
mmmm, hops...

Back