Whats Ya Water To Grain Ratio?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devo

Str8outtaCoburg
Reaction score
Just wondering what water to grain ratio AHB folk are currently using?

I work at 2.7ltr to every 1kg of grain but was wondering what everyone else was working at?

I was thinking at going 3ltr to every 1kg but not sure if I should bother or not.... <_<

Usually 3 - 3.5 L/Kg

Usually round to the nearest L for mashing in.

2.5 here, this allows a bit more water to be added for a temperature adjustment. Keeping the ratio on the lower side also allows for more sparge water to be added for the first batch sparge and helps to raise the temp higher.

3:1. But I don't think that changing from 2.7 to 3 will change your life.

Please note this opinion is not validated by extensive experience changing my mash ratio from 2.7 to 3. Your life may be changed by this. No liability taken for this if it's not to your liking. Please do not read How to Brew before making this change.

2.5 here, this allows a bit more water to be added for a temperature adjustment. Keeping the ratio on the lower side also allows for more sparge water to be added for the first batch sparge and helps to raise the temp higher.

+1 .. word for word

I am lazy

I just have a mark in my tun at about 12ltrs of water

So if I do a 5kg batch it will have a lower ratio than If I do a 4 or 4.5Kg batch.....and I have never noticed any differerence so far

I stir at intervals during mashing and when I batch sparge...

+1 .. word for word

Ditto, two-fold.

2.5L at mash in, allowing for step ups or corrections. I have also been known to use an immersion heater in the mash if I want to quickly bring things up a degree or two when my mash volumes are high, or when my water isn't up to temp yet.

The only time I stir is when i mash in and leave it untouched until it's time to clean out the tun.

Yep, same here.

Dough in at 1.5 litres per kg for a protein rest @ 55.
Infuse up to around 3/1 for sacc rest.

Single infusion just plain old 3/1.

Warren -

16l for 6kg,
so 2.6l/kg
and i stir at random intervals

i sparge at about 1/2 that ratio.

14L per how ever many kg of grain I use.

I'm like Stu - always use the same amount of strike water. On a single batch I am aiming for a pre-boil of 28L, so if I strike with 14L, then before I raise to mash out I put in the same number of liters of water as I have KG of grain, then I will drain 14L or close enough on my first batch. 14L of sparge then gives me 14 more liters drained for a pre-boil of 28L.

All calculated to remove the need for thinking more than anything else. 14L + grain kg in Litres + 14L easy.

Normally gives me an actual L:G ratio of 2.5 to 3.5

Latest posts

Back