Whats The Worst Beer You've Ever Tried?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got given a 30 pack of powers gold at xmas time...not even my beer swilling mate would drink any of it when i offered it to him....it is the worst shit i have ever tried....10 times worse than vb...dont know how anyone can drink it....my worst ever homebrew was better tasting than this shit

apparently a shot of sars cordial infused with a can of powers turns it into quite a sessionable beer...according to the crusty old dude i met at the bar of a bowls club in elliott heads

Digging up an old one here.

Ive bought two of these in 300ml stubbies on two separate occassions now from our local Dan Murphy's. The first one i took one sip and spat it out and immediately thought infection. It was sour. Lambic sour. I chucked that one down the sink and was very dissappointed as Id been looking forward to drink what is supposedly a well awarded beer. The best before was just over a month out of date too.

The second I got a week later, as I still really wanted to try it. Same thing. Really really sour. This one had NO best before date stamped on it (wtf?). I tipped this one too feeling really pissed off.

But it got me thinking. Is it supposed to be like that. I had a look at the reviews on ratebeer.com and found some who said it was sour and thought it was ok. Then some saying there were sweet malt flavours.

Can someone confirm that the Redoak organic pale ale is supposed to taste like a Pale ale should, or have they gone out on a limb and tried that bit too hard to push the style guide boundaries?

Either way i doubt I'll try it again.

Cheers
Brett.

I had a mate buy a 6 pack of these last week from Dans. he rang me up to ask me what it should taste like. i went over and it was just horridly lactic sour, unpourable undrinkable. Hard to convince people the merits of craft beer, and when they spend 20 dollars on a 6 pack, they get something that the drain probably would not accept.

anyway Brett in summary, redoak do great beers, go try them at the source. the offerings at the retail outlets are notoriously bad, and ill never risk it again.

About 10 years ago in NZ I had some beer that came in a 2L PET bottle. Don't remember any details but it was almost tasteless. Had obviously been brewed almost without hops, just fizzy fermented malt/sugar mix. Probably not as bad as VB but a bastardisation of the concept of "beer".

I have been to red oak 4 times. First time was awesome, the organic pale ale was not sour at all. Tasted like a pale ale should and was very nice.

The next 2 visits were ok with a few beers that were, well quite bad. I was embarrassed as I was taking a friend to taste quality beer! The last visit was the worst. Their award winning Aussie lager was sour, when I took it back to the bar I was told that there is nothing wrong with it... thats how craft beer is suppose to taste... yes the lines are clean... i can't taste it myself etc... etc...

They can get fucked. Overpriced crap beer. Have to wonder if they put aside the good beer for comp, because I just don't get it at their pub.

That said, and back on topic... worst tasting beer was one of my own. My second and last brewed kit and kilo beer. Hindsight suggested crap yeast fermented too hot with large temp swings, exposed to sunlight. That said it was probably the best beer I have made in the sense it made me ask myself why is this beer tasting so bad? Why does my mates home brew never taste like a commercial beer? From there I did some research, found this forum, improved my processes and never looked back.

I tipped 1/2 a bottle of Mad Brewers Stout Noir down the sink last night. I can't remember the last time before then that I poured beer down the sink.

Interesting that you did not like the MB Stout Noir Spork,

I have heard other people say that there is a fair bit of diacetyl in this beer , I did not notice it myself but I have only tasted it once and in a social setting.

any one else not liking this beer?

I had the MB Stout Noir on tap at The Highway, have to say I didn't like it and didn't even finish it, but it was late in the night and an obscene amount of beer had already been consumed.

Bali Hai

Was in Indo last year and after spending day after day drinking Bintang I finally came across something different. Bali Hai. One stubby was enough.
Back to Bintang.
Funnily enough, the Bintang was acceptable, considering the weather, the surroundings etc.

Bali Hai

Was in Indo last year and after spending day after day drinking Bintang I finally came across something different. Bali Hai. One stubby was enough.
Back to Bintang.
Funnily enough, the Bintang was acceptable, considering the weather, the surroundings etc.

+1 Man, the Bali Hai I had was free with a meal at our restaurant, and it tasted skunked as. Like wet dog.

Just don't make the mistake of trying these 'location' beers when back home. I drank a lot of Beer Chang when in Thailand but I tried one here not that long ago and it was bloody awful. Ditto Mythos (only Greece...)

Worst would have to be a stale, flat, Foster's Light Ice that had been sitting in a mate's cupboard for a months when I was about 15. Closely followed by the Foster's Light Ice that had been out in the sun for 3 days that we had in the BJCP exam.

Found a can of this once that someone had left behind. I put it in a couple of snail traps I had, even the snails avoided it!

Yep, thats another vote from me for Redoak. bought a six pack here in Perth of the organic pale ale and thought something must be wrong with my taste buds. The most sour horrible beer I have ever had. Anyway visited Sydney a couple of weeks later and decided to go to the Redoak brewery just to try some more beers and see if it was just the bottled beers I had in Perth. started off with a Belgian wheat off Tap. It was like some sort of horrible evil cider and was undrinkable. It tasted that bad. Had a couple more but I dont want to carry on and sound like I am slagging the place off. All I can say is that judging by all the awards etc they had on their walls I just expected so much more. Ended up going down to Harts pub in the Rocks, much better beer.

Im on an 8 month Bali trip thats been all Bintang....it does go down well here, it is very consistent
and no aussie megaswill flavours...the guinness here is half decent. Storm brewing have a few
different pale ales and a stout which are quite good...

Im really missing brewing...could really go for an English bitter!

Back on topic in Thailand keep away from Archer and Cheers beers...I drink Leo there.

Im on an 8 month Bali trip thats been all Bintang....it does go down well here, it is very consistent
and no aussie megaswill flavours...the guinness here is half decent. Storm brewing have a few
different pale ales and a stout which are quite good...

Im really missing brewing...could really go for an English bitter!

Back on topic in Thailand keep away from Archer and Cheers beers...I drink Leo there.

+1. Remember grabbing an Archer from a convenience store. A beer tried and best forgotten.
On the other hand, I found a fantastic selection of germans from a supermarket just down the road, and some faves on tap at the local.

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...&hl=holiday

I tipped 1/2 a bottle of Mad Brewers Stout Noir down the sink last night. I can't remember the last time before then that I poured beer down the sink.

shit ! i was looking forward to trying; but now maybe not :(

MBs latest offering, to gutless to be a stout, to black to be an old with a dash of really bad confectionary flavouring that fits into the rest of the beers profile like a turd in a pool.
A tipper for sure.
MHB

MBs latest offering, to gutless to be a stout, to black to be an old with a dash of really bad confectionary flavouring that fits into the rest of the beers profile like a turd in a pool.
A tipper for sure.
MHB
Wow!
Personally I cannot comment, but coming from you, and several other sources, they sound like they messed up what was an "acceptable stout" from last season.

Back